IGNORED

Noah - Movie - Merge

Mecca

OK, I'm about to hoist my shallow flag up the flag pole. Noah is being played by Russell Crowe, people. Russell Crowe! That alone is worth me sitting through this movie, and I am honestly shocked that in 2 pages of comments, no one else has brought if up.

Can I possibly be the only woman on this board who appreciates scruffy middle aged men with Australian accents? ;)

Doesn't do it for me at all, but I live with a scruffy middle aged Kiwi.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, I'm about to hoist my shallow flag up the flag pole. Noah is being played by Russell Crowe, people. Russell Crowe! That alone is worth me sitting through this movie, and I am honestly shocked that in 2 pages of comments, no one else has brought if up.

Can I possibly be the only woman on this board who appreciates scruffy middle aged men with Australian accents? ;)

Oh, "Noah." It is not just you. That man is fine. I will watch anything R.C. is in.

I saw it Friday. It was interesting. I read a loooong piece in the New Yorker with Darren Aronofsky a few weeks ago, so I went in knowing what to expect. I thought the portrayal of how evil the world had become, the physical structure of the ark itself, and details like the costumes were spot on and quite realistic. I liked how most of the focus was on Noah's internal struggle concerning doing what he was called to do and destroying so much life (which until that point he had only protected) in the process.

I agree. Honestly, I really hated the Ark story growing up fundie because it always left me feeling hollow, sad, and with a massive amount of questions that were never answered. The story of Noah is actually rather short, so I expected and knew Aronofsky would have to fill in some blanks. IMO, I think he did a decent job. I think the twist with Noah and his sons made for an interesting storyline. I mean, you have to be rather irrational anyway to build some big arse ark, gather a crap load of animals, and let everyone die except your own family. That is why I think Noah's character is this movie is rather believable.

Did you feel horrible when after the flood came and Noah and his family where sitting around the fire eating while hearing all those people screaming, terrified, and in agony, and they cut to the scene of people hanging on the rocks/mountains and bring washed away? And when Ila asked if they could save people and Noah shut her down quickly? Yeah, that freaked me out a bit and made me feel really crappy.

The Noah story, always lead me to believe that God was a giant asshole. The previews of this film, did not lead me to think, God was a nice guy. Seriously just one family, no babies, kids, nobody else did suck? Nope, this story didn't lead me to Christianity at all.

Oh, and when we saw the trailer, I admit, I kept waiting to see unicorns, hanging on to debris, saying "hey wait you forgot us". But that's me.

No, you aren't. Had the lead role been an unknown, I doubt I would have gone to see it. The fact that he and Jennifer Connelly were both in it was a big draw for me.

You left out the bit about captaining a boat! Master and Commander is one of my favorite movies evah - one of the reasons for this is the phisicality of Crowe as he crawls all over that ship in storms and calm seas.

DH and I have went to see it Friday. It was not sold out in our theater but I live in a college town so it's more liberal than our surrounding area.

I have never read the story of Noah so all I knew was the two of each animal. I am not sure where the movie was biblically inaccurate. The movie did not make me even consider becoming a Christian.

Sorry but the combination of Russell Crowe and Biblical epic = me having no interest at all in this movie.

I was expecting to be a lot more disappointed in this movie. I actually found it pretty enjoyable, but for all the wrong reasons. ;) Y'all totally have to go see this movie!

Noah turns into a sociopath and starts threatening to murder people. Later in the film, he winds up drunk and completely naked on a beach. I'm not even kidding!

I may need to check this one out. I wasn't going to waste my time as the previews didn't capture my fancy, but if fundies hate it that much it's got to be good. Unfortunately, given the fact that I have a toddler and almost no access to babysitting services, I'll have to wait until it hits Blue Ray.

I also don't have access to babysitting. I freely admit I'll download torrents of movies. But then I always buy them when they come out on BluRay. I justify it since I CAN'T see movies at theaters, so there's no difference between downloading and then buying BluRay, or just waiting for BluRay.

I admit that Noah's Ark is one of my least favorite bible stories. It is basically a story about glorified genocide and I can never get passed the image of mother's watching the flood waters rising slowly around them as they realize that there is no escape for their children. For some reason the fact that a supposedly benevolent deity ordered those people's deaths has always bugged me.

I hate this too. The world was so evil? How is that the fault of the children and babies? What kind of living god kills innocent babies? And expects to be worshipped?

I never liked the Noah story either because it seems so improbable and defies logic. Two of every animal on the planet? How would you collect them all (i.e. animals indigenous to North America or Australia) and how on earth could you build a boat big enough to not only house them, but also carry enough food to feed them for multiple weeks? It makes no sense.

I think Noah backs evolution. Either he got two of each of the MILLIONS of species, or there's evolution happening that makes the rest. Did he get a couple fleas, live, bedbugs, and mosquitos?

sounds like what Hollywood has been doing all along anyway...movies are never like the book,or like the real account,if it's based on one.Apollo 13 comes to mind.

I think Noah backs evolution. Either he got two of each of the MILLIONS of species, or there's evolution happening that makes the rest. Did he get a couple fleas, live, bedbugs, and mosquitos?

He did in the movie. :lol:

And there's actually a stop-motion sequence in the film that seems to promote the theory of evolution - lots of animals, starting at the beginning of time in the ocean, and then they start to crawl on land and grow fur. I'm surprised I haven't seen more fundies get upset over that part of the movie.

He did in the movie. :lol:

And there's actually a stop-motion sequence in the film that seems to promote the theory of evolution - lots of animals, starting at the beginning of time in the ocean, and then they start to crawl on land and grow fur. I'm surprised I haven't seen more fundies get upset over that part of the movie.

Several people at the movie I attended were talking about that in the lobby after watching. They were not happy. Of course, they were also not happy that our local movie theater has a bar on the top level and serves those evil adult beverages. :lol:

I popped out to look at Russel Crowe pics... I think I know why I'm not all that attracted to him... he reminds me of my brother. Some coloring, similar build....

So, go for it girls, but no thanks.

I popped out to look at Russel Crowe pics... I think I know why I'm not all that attracted to him... he reminds me of my brother. Some coloring, similar build....

So, go for it girls, but no thanks.

Close your eyes and listen to his voice. :wink-kitty:

Close your eyes and listen to his voice. :wink-kitty:

AreteJo, I have to tell you a funny story...

A couple of years ago, I was working part-time in a local department store, in the shoe department. I was standing at my register, and heard someone coming up behind me. As I turned, a REALLY good-looking, very tall man walked up and asked me a simple question about children's shoe sizing.

So what, you say? So.....RUSSELL CROWE'S FREAKING VOICE CAME OUT OF THIS MAN'S MOUTH. :pink-shock:

I was literally in shock for a couple of seconds, and I'm sure I made some ridiculous ga-ga moony teenager face before I answered him. I kept him around as long as I could just to hear him keep talking, lol. It really totally freaked me out though, seriously, it was dead-on Russell's voice, identical.

ETA: I live in East Texas. We don't get many thick Australian accents around these parts.

Russell's a kiwi, although aussies seem to have adopted him. But the kiwi accent is noticeably different from the aussie accent.

Russell's a kiwi, although aussies seem to have adopted him. But the kiwi accent is noticeably different from the aussie accent.

Correct, though my husband refuses to adopt him. I always joke that I will take Russell if he does not want him. :lol:

Not to brag or anything, but if you any of you guys think Russell is fine looking, you have not seen my hunk of an Aussie husband. He puts Russell to shame. I will have to admit though, it does get very weird at times when women fawn all over him and act like I am not around. There have been some that have been outright inappropriate in their approach.

No, no you're not.

I admit I have a hard time distinguishing Australian and New Zealand accents. Australian accents to my ear are extremely distinct from Irish or Scottish or accents from people who grew up in England. I just don't have experience listening to New Zealanders. I do know and interact with quite a few Greek-Aussies when in Greece.

I have the same problem with Northern US accents and Canadian accents. I have to hear a Canadian pronounce very specific words like "out" and "about" before I recognize them as Canadian English speakers.

But to my ear British, Irish, and AUS/Kiwi accents are just SEXAY. Told you I can fly a shallow flag. ;)

Correct, though my husband refuses to adopt him. I always joke that I will take Russell if he does not want him. :lol:

Not to brag or anything, but if you any of you guys think Russell is fine looking, you have not seen my hunk of an Aussie husband. He puts Russell to shame. I will have to admit though, it does get very weird at times when women fawn all over him and act like I am not around. There have been some that have been outright inappropriate in their approach.

Haha that's funny. Does he dislike the rabbitohs or is it just because russell crowe is a dick?

And I hear you. My husband is Aussie. Are you American? I am, and whenever we go back to the US, I experience that and also men making comments like OF COURSE I married him for his accent. My husband didn't know about the American fetish for Australian accents when we met. He actually told me that he couldn't believe I was interested in him because he was a "boring white aussie guy". =p

I admit I have a hard time distinguishing Australian and New Zealand accents. Australian accents to my ear are extremely distinct from Irish or Scottish or accents from people who grew up in England. I just don't have experience listening to New Zealanders. I do know and interact with quite a few Greek-Aussies when in Greece.

I have the same problem with Northern US accents and Canadian accents. I have to hear a Canadian pronounce very specific words like "out" and "about" before I recognize them as Canadian English speakers.

But to my ear British, Irish, and AUS/Kiwi accents are just SEXAY. Told you I can fly a shallow flag. ;)

I couldn't tell the difference between kiwi and aussie accents until I moved from america to australia. Now it sounds SO obvious to me. To be fair, Russell seems to have been trained to have more of an Aussie accent. I have a kiwi friend who says "fush and chups" instead of "fish and chips", for example. That's an example of a very strong kiwi accent, though.

Haha I agree about the accents. The first time I spoke to my husband, I got weak in the knees. I love listening to him talk. Now my little boy is developing an aussie accent since he goes to daycare. It's weird to hear my son sound different from me, but it's very cute!

Archived