IGNORED

Virgin Tales Documentary on YouTube!!

Daenerys

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it telling me to eat vegetarian? I had a slight pang of guilt as I chowed down on bacon and eggs.

Why is it telling me to eat vegetarian? I had a slight pang of guilt as I chowed down on bacon and eggs.

I don't know, but you can get rid of that by hovering over it and pressing the X that appears. It's not a watermark, thankfully.

I saw this several months back on Showtime. Maybe I'll watch it again later on. I remember the daughter Jordan was so fucking annoying. On a related note, I'm going to start reading God's Harvard which is about Patrick Henry College.

Is this the same as Virgin Daughters?

It's a sequel following just the Wilson family, who are the founders of the "Purity Ball" idea.

I saw this several months back on Showtime. Maybe I'll watch it again later on. I remember the daughter Jordan was so fucking annoying. On a related note, I'm going to start reading God's Harvard which is about Patrick Henry College.

You want to take a class with her ? schoolofgrace.org/class-details.html

Haven't watched the whole thing through yet, but the first part has me alarmed enough. The tale oof Krystian's engagement really bothers me, so a guy see your face on a fridge and wants to marry you, isn't that rather shallow? And yet mainstream society is criticized fir focuses on looks....

What shocked me was the comment of father Randy. He said that no matter how good you have been, if you don't believe in Jesus Christ you'll go to hell. I grew up christian (now I am an atheist) but I was taught that only your actions matter in your lifetime, no matter if you are Christian or Muslim or whatever. Everyone can make it to heaven, just be a good person. Heaven is not reserved for Christians only.

Not that I'm offended because he says I will go to hell (like I said I am an atheist - so you can't scare me with hell :lol: ) but his arrogance really bothers me.

edited: fix a typo

Ugh...these people. The whole kneeling before daddy while mommy cries thing is so ridiculous and seems on the edge of blasphemy. You don't crawl on your knees in worship before any person.

Ugh...these people. The whole kneeling before daddy while mommy cries thing is so ridiculous and seems on the edge of blasphemy. You don't crawl on your knees in worship before any person.

I have dirty thought... :?

LOL!

I am now on part 2. Why, oh why, am I watching this crap?

And Ms. I Am So Content Jordan keeps looking fleetingly discontented, if you ask me. Then she immediately remembers to act happy again.

LOL!

I am now on part 2. Why, oh why, am I watching this crap?

And Ms. I Am So Content Jordan keeps looking fleetingly discontented, if you ask me. Then she immediately remembers to act happy again.

Obviously she is not happy but of course she can't admit that.

Obviously she is not happy but of course she can't admit that.

Is the pearl necklace also connoted in US or not? Here, wearing it it'is shouting "I AM A BOURGEOISE."

You aren't the only one. :lol:

So, I watched half of it, and then had to cleanse my palate, by going off to talk to a slice of chocolate cake. If anyone's interested, here are some of my thoughts. I wrote them down as I watched, because the partner was napping and wouldn't have appreciated me shouting.

~ This is sooo creepy.

~ Okay, now this group of girls is listening to a talk about this young woman's courtship story. If my dad ever received an e-mail like that about me, his answer would be "ask her, and rest assured that I'll tell her what a creep you are".

~ Huh? The "world" will try pressuring girls into making choices that go against the purity cult? In my world, what you choose to do with your hymen is your choice. It seems to me that the "purity world" applies far, far more pressure. How accepting would they be of my choices?

~ Father-daughter relationships are a blue-print for future relationships with husbands. Eew, eew, eew! My dad and I have a great relationship, but he's my dad, and I don't relate to my partner as I relate to my dad. Because, my dad's my dad!

~ So many white people at that ball! I looked again, and saw two possibly "ethnic" people. This may be due to cinematography.

~ Wilson works for FRC. Why am I not surprised that he and Smuggar run in the same circles.

~ He sounds rather nationalistic* to me, and not an inclusive sort. That leaves a bad taste in the back of my mouth, considering that the ball seemed to be so, so white. Hmm...

~ Wilson: "It's not about politics, it's about influencing the decision makers" - how is that not about politics, you twit?

~ Loads of scaremongering and talk about guards on walls. Can someone please tell me what precisely they are so scared of? Gimme names, gimme faces! Stop talking about some intangible threat! That's like vaguely alluding to monsters under the bed.

~ Brett Black (husband of Lauren) saying he trusts her, because she waited - what kind of logic is that? She wasn't waiting for you mate, but for "someone". In other words, at the time of waiting, she didn't know anything about you. You just happened to be the one. How does that inspire trust? I wasn't waiting for anyone. I also wouldn't cheat on my partner, because of that. He is the reason, next to personal ethics, why I don't cheat. Not because of something I did way before I met him.

~ Mrs Wilson: "The most incredible gift god could give to a man and a woman is sex in marriage. It's fun, it's glorious..." - what if the sex is rubbish? And how precisely does marriage make it better? Do you get some super-secret bedroom skills by saying "I do"? Answers, I need answers!

~ The Wilsons claim that their daughters chose "purity", but a previous scene shows youngest daughter reading about modesty, so...really? Maybe it was their choice, but a strongly influenced one. And now one that's further perpetuated by the purity balls. Doesn't seem like much of a choice to me.

~ The Wilsons dated, and apparently there was an awful lot of kissing. But go ahead, deprive your kids of the choices you had!

~ Mr Wilson implies that he wasn't particularly nice during his dating days - oh, so because you were an ass, every guy is? Back, when I was a teen, I was spectacularly unkind to one of my boyfriends - please note, not abusive, just an ass when I broke up with him. It was totally uncalled for. But just because of that, I will never tell my future sons how harmful ALL women are. That was me being a bratty teen, and the lesson I took away was definitely NOT that everyone is like me. Ugh.

~ A manhood ceremony? Try a "how to be a good human being" ceremony.

~ Christianity as warfare? I'm sure Jesus is packing his semi-automatic now. Oh, wait, that guy was all about turning the other cheek...

~ The manhood ceremony is all about getting advice on how to be a leader. For one thing, this doesn't make any mathematical sense. If every Christian ™ men get advice on...stuff. Christian [tm][/tm] women are all about keeping their hymen intact. O-okay, doesn't make sense.

...and then I needed a big slice of delicious chocolate cake, which reached into the depths of my soul, touched the spot that was hurting and comforted it. I have another slice left, so I may just watch the rest.

eta: Sorry about the wall o' text. I didn't realize how much I was writing, while I watched.

*edited to clarify: If someone rambles on about a nation under attack or some such, I make connections that the speaker may or may not have intended. That's because, where I come from, that sort of rhetoric is closely connected to racism, and the Holocaust. It left a bad taste.

I think that's the first time they've showed a manhood ceremony in one of these documentaries. WTF was up with the part about Oscar Wilde? Did it ever occur to him that most artists don't live very pristine lives, and maybe that provides inspiration for their work? Let's see if any purity cultists produce the next Shakespeare, Mozart, or Van Gogh. While waiting, I will be reading this copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray that I just got from the library.

I get the feeling Randy Wilson is a supreme bore to be around. Absolutely joyless about everything. I bet if someone told him a joke, he would say "That's funny" in a monotone voice and move on as if nothing happened.

I hate the implication that girls who stick to purity pledges "deserve" better guys than those who don't. That's the kind of reasoning that makes abused women feel they don't deserve to be treated better. Colten's wife talking about how love is an command and not an emotion doesn't bode well for them.

So many contrived ceremonies! I wonder how much of the Purity ball/manhood ceremony trend comes from the idea that, as white Evangelical Christians, they don't have a lot of coming-of-age ceremonies already built in to their culture.

I think that's the first time they've showed a manhood ceremony in one of these documentaries. WTF was up with the part about Oscar Wilde? Did it ever occur to him that most artists don't live very pristine lives, and maybe that provides inspiration for their work? Let's see if any purity cultists produce the next Shakespeare, Mozart, or Van Gogh. While waiting, I will be reading this copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray that I just got from the library.

I get the feeling Randy Wilson is a supreme bore to be around. Absolutely joyless about everything. I bet if someone told him a joke, he would say "That's funny" in a monotone voice and move on as if nothing happened.

I hate the implication that girls who stick to purity pledges "deserve" better guys than those who don't. That's the kind of reasoning that makes abused women feel they don't deserve to be treated better. Colten's wife talking about how love is an command and not an emotion doesn't bode well for them.

So many contrived ceremonies! I wonder how much of the Purity ball/manhood ceremony trend comes from the idea that, as white Evangelical Christians, they don't have a lot of coming-of-age ceremonies already built in to their culture.

I get that feeling too. I also got the feeling that he and his wife aren't happy together.

Ugh, the way these people speak is SO obnoxious. I remember the son from the other one, who is now married, and he was such a fucking tool. So condescending. And now they've got the younger son speaking the same way.

Just fucking gross.

They are a bunch of pompous wind bags who feel the need for a ceremony every time someone twitches. I have an ugly feeling that the original and continued intent of the purity balls is profit.

This was apparently on abc yesterday - http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/i ... y-23024096

While there is a lot wrong with what these people stand for I personally think the "marriage based on a command" is admirable. Love is an action as well as a feeling and when the feeling wears off (as it does for 9 out of 10 of us eventually - just basic biology), do you abandon your partner and look for the next best thing when they've given up the best years of their life for you?

I don't think getting married to someone you've known for such a short time is a good idea though. I am very interested to see how their marriages work out.

For what it's worth, from what I've read and watched about the family, I don't think the parents are unhappy together. I think they seem like a good match

I get that feeling too. I also got the feeling that he and his wife aren't happy together.

I had that feeling, too! I can't blame him though. It got on my nerves that she couldn't say even one sentence without crying.

Is the pearl necklace also connoted in US or not? Here, wearing it it'is shouting "I AM A BOURGEOISE."

Why, no proper Southern lady goes without her pearls!:D

I didn't know wether to laugh or to cry. How can they be so condescending! In one of the other documentaries about purity balls (I think it was called Daddy, I do????? (2008)) they said "we have set a higher standard for ourselves". What higher standard? I hate the implication.

Also all the fake ceremonies with fake swords, fake knight armor, fake laurel wreath (the thing you put on your head when you first menstruate so everyone can see :ew: :ew: :ew: :ew: ). Really, that is ridiculous. Just image you are a midwestern middle class family and living in a nice suburban home, go to church etc. and when your kids reach puberty you just pull of a puberty show with symbols of fakery for everyone to see. mother cries, she always does. wtf??!!

the only nice thing about the documentary was the formal tea, I liked the tea service they used and the idea! But why not just do it instead of teaching it, again, in the most condescending way! You don't need to teach someone how to do a formal tea, you just do it and others can watch and invite you the next time. It's like they are trying so hard to be upper class and teach others about it who are stupid enough to pay a lot of money for it, lol.

and all the married couples in the docu looked like brother and sister!

Randy works for the FRC, like Josh. Do you thing they know each other? How many employees are there at the FRC?

Is the mother able to speak to her daughters in any other way than that annoying "cute" voice/pseudo-babytalk?

and all the married couples in the docu looked like brother and sister!

That is exactly what I thought while watching this crap. :D

Archived