IGNORED

Virgin Tales Documentary on YouTube!!

Daenerys

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note to Jordyn: the next time you update your website, please remember that what you are doing is "afternoon tea," not "high tea."

Note to Jordyn: the next time you update your website, please remember that what you are doing is "afternoon tea," not "high tea."

I see on her website that she will not be conducting her classes this year because she is pregnant and the baby is due in July. I wonder if she'll be allowed to continue "teaching" after becoming a mother, or will that be considered "work" and therefore impermissible?

I watched the full Virgin Tales last night, followed by the Nightline purity ball report--I think the two were filmed about three years apart (2010 and 2013) and it's interesting to see that not much has changed, except Jordyn got married. Even though the Wilsons said they were going to step down as hosts of the Colorado ball, they seem to be continuing in that role.

However, I did think it was interesting that in both pieces, they were asked something along the lines of, if one of your children broke their purity vow (dated, kissed, sex), how would you respond? In the first interview, they said it would be considered a breach in the relationship. In the second interview, they said they would absolutely not disown that child, they would work toward reconciliation and know that there are second chances. It really made me wonder: have they learned to be more media-savvy in their rhetoric, or did something happen with a child in the intervening years to soften their stance?

I've re-watch it. My brain was shouting "INCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEST" during ALL the movies.

Also, some of the things said by Jordyn... I'm an evil girl from foster care, and without taking class I know how to present myself without giving a big view on my boobs (and sometime, I do all that I can do to give a big view on my boobs because I'm an evil girl who flirt with people :D )

The girls who participate in the daughter's class about etiquette look bored to death.

Thought so too. I wonder if they parents told them they had to go or did they want to go themselves.

Four minutes in and I am rolling my eyes so hard I might sprain something. The kids crawling up to the father and kneeling in front of him is just seriously wtf. Then the first "video diary" where she says she really wants to be in a relationship and please Lord, send her someone soon, ugh. Girl, please tell me you have more priorities in your life than that. (Sadly, I know that's probably the be-all and end-all.)

...OMG this courtship story. He saw her picture on mutual friend's refrigerator and immediately wanted to ask her dad if they could write? And wanted to meet her family after 6 days of emailing each other? I know people can "just know" and have long happy marriages in those cases, but the circumscribed lives that a lot of these girls lead makes my hackles go up when courtships move this fast. Also when Khrystian (sp?) was exhorting the group to save themselves for marriage, there's just something very...rehearsed about her tone. I mean, I know she believes this stuff, but something about it sounds so empty to me.

ETA: Holy shit seriously. Okay, Mom is getting all weepy about how the Father-Daughter Purity Ball is a chance for fathers to "invest" in an "expensive hotel and an expensive meal" and in a fancy dress to say that "you're valued." Seriously, that's how fathers can show their daughters that they're valued, by spending a lot of money on some ceremony that puts an insane amount of value on their hymen? News flash for these guys, my dad didn't have to spend a whole whack of money on a hotel or a dinner or a dress to let me know I was loved and valued as a whole person and it didn't have anything to do with my so called "purity". Uuuugh.

I wanted to slap Logan silly for saying that he wanted to go to West Point and join the armed forces because he wanted to stare death in the face and get an awesome welcome when he returns home. Hopefully Khrystian and her husband's story of going to a funeral for a friend and her Skyping about being lonely as a military wife put some sense into him.

I finally finished watching all 10 parts and now I need a serious bleach shower. Here are my thoughts:

*Jordyn spends the whole documentary trying to convince us she is happy that she is single but she's got a horrible poker face.

*Jordyn's comment about 'why would I go to school and get a degree when I won't use it' annoyed me. These parents are failing their children in so many ways. These poor girls measure their worth solely on their ability to serve tea and land a man. At least Colton's wife went to PHC so that's something.

*The constant praise of each other and catchy christian buzz words really creep me out.

*The way the dad looks at everyone (other than his wife of course) is really gross. If my husband ever did any of that to our daughter I would probably kick him out. They are besties and have fun together but he is so not interested in her future sex life or micro-managing every aspect of her existence.

*I wonder how the wife feels knowing that her husband lays on this creepy sexual praise and spends most of his days thinking about the sex lives of his daughters. I would feel gross.

*Oh...dad works for FRC. That explains it all. He is like every other fundie out there with his circular logic, and misinformation. The hatred and bigotry that he hides behind ~religious freedom and love~ is overdone. He is a gross, gross man.

I really have to wonder about these dads. They give off creep vibes like whoa.

I finally finished watching all 10 parts and now I need a serious bleach shower. Here are my thoughts:

*Jordyn spends the whole documentary trying to convince us she is happy that she is single but she's got a horrible poker face.

That's one thing I'm noticing while I watch; there's something very rote about they way she speaks. Maybe she just gets that from her dad as he seems to have the same kind of...low emotional expression, and maybe part of it is that (at least so far from what I'm seeing) we see her speaking a lot in front of others where she might not be as emotionally open, but even in the video diaries so far she doesn't really express a lot of emotion when she talks and so it keeps ringing hollow to me.

First, the father gives off the worst kind of creeper vibe. Right down to his sort of snivelly, wet breathing sounds. {{shudder}}

Second, way to make something that is supposedly a deep, thought out conviction come across as completely superficial. It's all about appearances, looking beautiful, being charming and SMILING. Smiling properly, so properly you need to spend $125 for a week at the SOSEDRT (School of someone else's dining room table).

I have attended the boys' version of these man/womanhood ceremonies. It was called a dubbing ceremony. It wasn't too bad but it had just as much of the over the top pomp and circumstance as the purity ceremonies. Of course this was given by the same person who made a huge weekend out of the sex talk with her kids, taking them on special outings like flying lessons to culminate the talk. I remember her asking me, 'What do you do when you teach your kids about sex?" And my response was, "They already know, it's not something I make a big deal of, I just talk to them like they're people."

I barely made it through the end. Once they bring marriage equality into it I just get freaking angry. :evil:

Squick! Squidk! Squick!

Jordan-whose-name-means-flowing-waters looked utterly depressed.

Why are there so many tears from everybody?

Why must everything be so DEEP and serious all. the. time?

"Dad looks so masculine." :shock: Did he really say that?

Mr. Wilson is a smug, self-important jackass.

What fucking battle?

Swords and armor? Really?

The pilsbury pie crust lady seemed the most normal.

And the look on Jordan's face when the interviewer asked what if she didn't ever get married...fear? horror? panic?

Are the Wilsons fundie royalty? I've heard of these purity balls before, but not this family in particular.

Sooo relieved to hear that Jordyn got married recently. She was ready to cut somebody about being the last of the older girls to become a Stepford Wife. I'm sure it's a coincidence that she was also the homliest sister. :whistle:

Echoing everybody else here, Dad is a creeping creepster. Older son watching his sisters prepare for the ball: also creepster. Younger son was a somewhat more eloquent version of Smuggar. It's easy to convince yourself that you're right when you've never heard a differing opinion. That manhood ceremony shit will get you laughed out of the Renaissance Fair, FYI. Cosplay needs work.

Ugh, the Kardashian names: Lauryn, Khrystian, Jordyn, Colten, Logan (normal), Kaalyn, Kameryn. Part of the reason the Daily(!) Daddy Blessing is so ridiculous is that their names are so stupid. "Your name means Holy Unicorn of Jesus." Really? "Kaalyn"? Because it kinda sounds like you made it up.

I'd really like an update on this family every few years or so to make sure their pure and perfect lives remain pure and perfect.

Maybe Logan will be the gay one. He seemed to have a need to put out there how masuline he is and how he wants to stare death in the face. Probably just a cover. :lol:

Then there is this:

Maybe Logan will be the gay one. He seemed to have a need to put out there how masuline he is and how he wants to stare death in the face. Probably just a cover. :lol:

Then there is this:

sorry, sorry, sorry, I could not resist. :whistle:

It's really interesting that--at least in the segment we saw--Wilson had no response to the guy who was asking him what right they had to dictate everyone's morality in part 6. At the very least if he responded, there was a rather long pause before he did so.

Daddy Blessing is so ridiculous is that their names are so stupid. "Your name means Holy Unicorn of Jesus." Really? "Kaalyn"? Because it kinda sounds like you made it up.

I've been chuckling all afternoon over this...

Well, I am sorry I didn't go with my first instinct and not watch. At least Colten is now married and no longer watching his sisters with that creepster expression on his face. The kneeling and crawling up to daddy for his blessing was just nauseating. I could have slapped the mother senseless for crying and looking on.

Too fucked up for words.

If you look on their website and at the book that the parents wrote together (which is called Celebrations of Faith), it appears that Lisa Wilson has a higher education and is even seemingly more highly educated than her husband. I do get the impression they have discouraged their daughters from going down that path though which I think is sad. I would be very keen to know what would happen in the event of a divorce with one of the husbands abandoning the wife and dragging his heels over maintenance payments - do the men of the girl's family then support her and her kids for ever more (if she doesn't find another husband) or at that point is she told to get a job?

I liked SOSEDRT by the way, whoever coined that one!

Edited for riffles..

Why is it called the VIRGIN diaries anyway? I feel like te a bi misleading, like, oh virgins are so DIFFERENT!

Me being a virgin doesn't make my life more interesting. Possibly more boring, though.

I felt sort of sad when the younger sisters said that Khrystian could no longer dance in the ball's ballet troupe because you quit once you get married. They might as well be saying, "You've had sex, so you are dirty. Even if it is righteous Christian married sex." I doubt that Khrystian would think of finding a real dance class or group for adults that isn't tied to hymen status.

About five minutes in. The dad's speaking pattern makes him sound like he's having breathing trouble with all the random pauses and deep breaths, but he doesn't look sick...? Is that just the way he always speaks? If so it's pretty awkward. Jordan's kind-of imitating it a bit.

Then there is this:

Holy christ on a cracker what the fuck did I just watch? My 6 year old daughter's grade 1 Christmas pageant was better than that steaming pile of dog nards.

So I'm back for part 3...

Seriously, the "gates of hell" are "shaking" over this? Because in a world with terrorism, genocide, pedophilia, serial killers, unjust wars, starving children...the greatest threat to evil is a bunch of morons making 5 year olds swear to be virgins at the altar???

Archived