IGNORED

bill allow to sue abortion clinics because of "abortion reg

doggie

another very stupid bill

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... rtune.html

Bonkers Iowa Bill Would Allow Women to Sue Abortion Providers for “Abortion Regretâ€

The “pro-life†coalition is getting preposterously creative with its legislation. In Iowa, a new bill would allow women to sue their doctors for malpractice up to 10 years after their abortion—not because they suffered physical injury (those rare cases are already covered under existing malpractice law), but because they experienced regret.

The bill, introduced by state Rep. Greg Heartsill—a Republican who is also a man—would license “pain and suffering†malpractice lawsuits for abortions even if the patient had signed an informed consent form. The woman filing the lawsuit would not need to have experienced medical issues stemming from the abortion. She would need only to decide after the fact that she’d made the wrong choice, and her provider would have to answer for a perfectly performed surgery—to the tune of steep fines and possible jail time.

This bill breaks new ground in dumbassery, assuming as it does that any witch doctor who dabbles in the dark art of abortion must also practice prophecy and mind-reading. But it is caked, too, in the idiot dirt of the old ground. By embracing a narrative of abortion regret—which the American Psychological Association does not recognize as a condition and which the Guttmacher Institute characterizes as extremely rare—Heartsill and co. are advancing the myth of the fickle woman who doesn’t know her own mind. They’re implying that in the moment of decision-making, a stranger still has a better grasp of a woman’s psychology than she does.

Will you also be able to sue the fundie pregnancy centres if you regret having a kid?

Or what if someone regrets another medical decision, such as having breast implants, getting their kid vaccinated, having their extra finger removed...

Or even non medical things people will regret. Should someone sue a fast food restaurant because they regret buying and eating four cheeseburgers because the amount of food made them sick

I'm going to assume that a woman has to sign a consent form before undergoing an abortion just like any other medical procedure. So how is this going to work?

I know two women who sincerely regret their abortions, but it's on them. They thought it out, made the appointment, and went. There are a lot of irreversible life choices, and the one responsible for them is the one freely making the choices.

And yet, its the Republicans who talk ad nauseam about how people on welfare should take responsibility for their lives and decisions and how its not the tax payers job to bail them out. So much for the party of personal responsibility.

And yet, its the Republicans who talk ad nauseam about how people on welfare should take responsibility for their lives and decisions and how its not the tax payers job to bail them out. So much for the party of personal responsibility.

It is my Republican friends who all want their to be reform so that people can't sue as much. I guess those ideals can be thrown out if Republicans disagree with the people being sued.

Why is it the responsibility of other's to "save" you from your bad decisions? To me, that is the worst kind of moralizing. There are things I regret in my life but the truth is I made those decisions and it would be condescending for someone to come in and consider me a victim. If you are not free to make the wrong decisions then you are not free at all.

Does this mean that if I wax nostalgic for my burst appendix, I can sue the hospital for removing it? I mean, forget that they saved my life, I still regret the removal of my appendix and want it back. W-A-A-A-H-H!

I can't remember what movie it was...I think it was the one in which Sandra Bullock was drunk driving and hit a lawn jockey and had to go to rehab. ANYWAY, there was a guy in group therapy who regretted his circumcision. Not exactly the same, since he had no choice, but he was very angry about it. So he could sue his parents?

Archived