IGNORED

Raping little girls is natural, but homosexuality is not

Cleopatra7

The Right Reverend Father Simon Lokodo, the current State Minister for Ethics & Integrity in Uganda, claims men raping girls is natural, and seems to imply heterosexual rape is morally preferable to consensual homosexual activity.

Father Lokodo claims to have several degrees in theology, and apparently considers himself to be a good Christian man defending his country from the imaginary scourge of homosexuality.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressiv ... s-natural/

(Link not broken because it's a secular humanist site that will probably welcome the traffic)

:pink-shock: :pink-shock: :pink-shock:

WTF? I just can't with this... I'm off to raid the liquor cabinet, and then will pass out beneath my desk, rocking myself to sleep while weeping for humankind. Feel free to join me.

I don't have enough wine to read the article, so in short wording.

Fuck everyone that "thinks" like this asshole.

Worth noting that he was excommunicated by Pope Benedict. So apparently besides being an absolute disgusting beast, he's fallaciously hanging on to a religious title that doesn't belong to him, I suppose to give him "credence" with the religious people in his country.

Worth noting that he was excommunicated by Pope Benedict. So apparently besides being an absolute disgusting beast, he's fallaciously hanging on to a religious title that doesn't belong to him, I suppose to give him "credence" with the religious people in his country.

I don't think Right Reverend has ever been a Catholic title though, has it? So it sounds to me more like he invented a completely meaningless one for himself (or got it from somewhere else). Not that it really matters, it doesn't make anything better...just curiosity on my part.

Anyway, just when I think I've seen the worst of it...

It is Catholic terminology.

You're right though, it doesn't really matter. Although, IME, this is a commonality he has with many other abusive religious leaders--the acquisition of "titles" that are essentially meaningless but give them a feeling of superiority and power. Some of the pentecostal crazies seem to tack on a new title every year, until you get titles like "Chief Prophet Apostle Bishop Dr. So-n-so"

I think Mr. Lokodo is referencing Thomas Aquinas, who said that rape was more "natural" than masturbation, because it fulfilled the procreative nature of sex. Here's a convoluted Catholic defense of Aquinas on this point:

branemrys.blogspot.com/2013/07/aquinas-on-evil-of-rape.html

ETA: Here's the actual section from the Summa Theologica about rape and lust:

http://www.ccel.org/a/aquinas/summa/SS/ ... 54A12THEP1

(since this is an online library of ancient and medieval Christian texts, I don't know if the link should be broken or not)

Not gonna mind my words. I would love to see the women band together and castrate these fuckers!

I think Mr. Lokodo is referencing Thomas Aquinas, who said that rape was more "natural" than masturbation, because it fulfilled the procreative nature of sex. Here's a convoluted Catholic defense of Aquinas on this point:

branemrys.blogspot.com/2013/07/aquinas-on-evil-of-rape.html

ETA: Here's the actual section from the Summa Theologica about rape and lust:

http://www.ccel.org/a/aquinas/summa/SS/ ... 54A12THEP1

(since this is an online library of ancient and medieval Christian texts, I don't know if the link should be broken or not)

I think it's possible you may giving him too much credit. He's got a governmental cabinet position as a state minister, and he's picking and choosing what he chooses to focus on, legally. In the context of the actual quote--and he's choosing to ignore child rape. The context of the conversation was not "Well, let's discuss Aquinas, as theologians." The context was "Why aren't you, a politician, cracking down on child rapists?"

I should have skipped reading, taken out the family moonshine, and gone and rocked in tandem with samurai Sarah. Even though I badly need a drink after reading that, my gut is signaling that any such comfort in that direction is coming right back up.

I think it's possible you may giving him too much credit. He's got a governmental cabinet position as a state minister, and he's picking and choosing what he chooses to focus on, legally. In the context of the actual quote--and he's choosing to ignore child rape. The context of the conversation was not "Well, let's discuss Aquinas, as theologians." The context was "Why aren't you, a politician, cracking down on child rapists?"

That's probably true, but the basic idea about what is "natural" and "unnatural" according to natural law goes back for centuries. Many, if not most, fundies fall back on natural law arguments, even if they have no idea what the term means. Given that child brides are endemic in Nigeria, it sounds that there could be a new consensus among Christians and Muslims that rape against children is simply not worth their time to prosecute.

I think that more needs to be done to hold evangelicals who are exporting culture war accountable. People are dying and children are being raped. If they support these kinds of attitudes, then it suggests that they're acting in bad faith when they claim that they just want "religious liberty" and believe in "loving the sinner, hate the sin."

Is this similar to what I read about someone saying rape was preferable to homosexuality because at least heterosexual rape had the potential to be procreative? Whatever the reason, gross to the extreme.

He got excommunicated by Benedict?!? Wow! He is extreme!

So his logic is child rape is ok = possible procreation but homosexual sex = bad (no procreation). I wonder what what his stance on child homosexual rape would be? Either way, i will now take my vodka :brain-bleach: :head-desk: and turn on some loud rock and try to pretend i did not read that crap.

Archived