IGNORED

Kelly C.: Send My (Sometimes) SAHD to Peru

DomWackTroll

Yes, Bria is going on a mission trip with their church, but how does that make being "out from under her father's umbrella of protection" okay? Kelly has written about this kind of situation many times before, warning that even trips that seem innocent can turn dangerous when young single women are without their family. But I guess, just like the Morecrafts, it's okay when it's their daughter doing it-- just don't you try it.

generationcedar.com/main/2014/02/a-sale-for-you-to-send-bri-to-peru.html

Oh, also, Bria has been learning carpentry and plumbing. Isn't that blurring the gender lines? Shouldn't Bria be keeping the home rather than building it? Men's confidence needs to be encouraged, not torn down by women who can "do it all."

Why, it's right out of "Animal Farm" (not that Kelly would ever allow such a secular, heathen title to cross her threshold) - "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Is she actually getting licensed in carpentry/plumbing? If so, that's actually a really smart thing to do - if she went to work, she'd make more than I ever will with my million degrees. :lol: Somehow I doubt it with this crowd though.

A few commenters are expressing worry and disapproval: "Bria could have far more impact if she donated the $2000. Peru has many tradesman who could do the job of building much more skillfully and who would be grateful for the work. As for spreading the Gospel, there are many Christians in Peru already, with a much deeper understanding of the local culture and challenges. These Christians–especially those fluent in Spanish–would have a much better chance of connecting with the local people."

Can't WAIT for Kelly's reply.

ETA: Guess what? It's all about THEM and THEIR needs, not about poor people who need housing: "Perhaps the real point behind short term mission trips is to change *us*."

Wow, this is amazing. They are just asking for handouts for this pleasure trip. Bria doesn't know any Spanish (on her blog she says she's learned two songs), and is just now "studying" carpentry and plumbing. What the heck is she going to do down there, other than gawk at the living conditions and say "AWWW" about some babies?

I usually don't mind if someone asks for money on the internet. But Bria hasn't done anything to earn this trip. She hasn't extensively studied spanish. She has no engineering skills, and very few other useful skills. Since she can't speak Spanish, what is she going to do? Point to the Bible and give it a thumbs up?

I would not allow my daughter to ask for money onthe internet. I'd say, if you want to go, get a job!

Well, that got defensive quickly. If she doesn't want people to question what she spends money on, how about she not solicit money on the internet?

Wow, some of those comments - (I'm paraphrasing) "they'll take our little white money, but don't want to see our little white faces" and "it would be news to our missionary sons and daughters that the Native people view them with disdain."

Have any of these people read Rudyard Kipling? I think "White Man's Burden" would be right up their alley. Defense of colonialism, smug moral superiority, entitlement towards other cultures, expectations of gratitude, respect, and even worship - it's all there, and would make a handsome edition to their dominionist library!

Hey Kelly, you might want to let the hem out on your skirt, because your GiANT BALLS are hanging out.

Did she really just beg ffor money then turn around and get pissy with someone and basically tell them not to ask questions about how their donations are being spent?

Hey I have an idea for Kelly Jr. er, Bria. How about you get off your dead ass and get a job and pay for your own vacation?

I work hard for my money. Why on earth would I send it to Bria so she can go on vacation when she's done nothing to earn some of the money herself? Sorry, Bria. Not happening. Pay for your own vacation. I'd rather give my money to charities already on the ground who give micro loans to people trying to earn their own way in the world or to volunteers who know the culture and speak the language and are there to actually help people.

"poverty tourism", that is a perfect description. My catholic high school had a volunteer mandate, many of the kids would take trips to "build orphanages" in Mexico... What they actually did was repaint chairs that the last group painted... Feel good nonsense.

ETA: Guess what? It's all about THEM and THEIR needs, not about poor people who need housing: "Perhaps the real point behind short term mission trips is to change *us*."

OMG--this makes me SICK! No wonder people hate Americans. How pompous and presumptuous...I can't EVEN!

I read the article that commenter, Emily, posted. It seems like a lot of the people commenting missed the point of the article or didn't read it. People in these situations are capable of solving problems themselves and shouldn't be treated as helpless. All the article was saying was that it is condescending to go in with the attitude of "rescuing" people. There is a history of white westerners going into a lot of places and "correcting" their culture, religion, which is the opposite of helping. Imperialism *cough* Then again, I am pretty sure this crowd approves that kind of thing.

Comment from Kelly L. under the ""What if Your Child was a Homosexual?' Thoughts About Really True Love" post:

"My husband seems to have homosexuals drawn to him. He is a bold witness of Christ. He witnesses to them, encourages them to repent, invites them to Christ all with so much love that they continue to call him to talk or meet. We invite individuals to eat with us in our home."

generationcedar.com/main/2014/02/what-if-your-child-was-a-homosexual.html

Oh, girlfriend...

Edited to specify which post this was under.

Comment from Kelly L.:

"My husband seems to have homosexuals drawn to him. He is a bold witness of Christ. He witnesses to them, encourages them to repent, invites them to Christ all with so much love that they continue to call him to talk or meet. We invite individuals to eat with us in our home."

Oh, girlfriend...

That is a true gem of a find. Does Kelly L have her own blog? I would love to follow her husband's homosexuality.... I mean ministry. :roll:

"poverty tourism", that is a perfect description. My catholic high school had a volunteer mandate, many of the kids would take trips to "build orphanages" in Mexico... What they actually did was repaint chairs that the last group painted... Feel good nonsense.

If you want to see my Mexican Step- Mother- in- Law foam at the mouth get her talking about these kinds of "mission trips"

Bria needs to get fucking JOB if she wants to go to Peru and grace all those primitive non-Christians (yes, I know Peru is a predominately Roman Catholic country, but we all know Bria, Kelly and their ilk don't consider Catholics to be Christians). I'm so sick of these grifting Crawfords.

That is a true gem of a find. Does Kelly L have her own blog? I would love to follow her husband's homosexuality.... I mean ministry. :roll:

This is amazing :lol:

Well, Kelly C. is either reading here (again) or someone made a snarky comment (or both), because Kelly L.'s comment about her so-not-gay hubby is has been removed. But the last comment is Kelly L.'s "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I’m sure others here will agree, Bill. The use of name calling and cussing negates points unanswerable as it makes me think I am discussing things with a juvenile."

Oh here's a gem from Kelly from the comment section

he reality is, and I’m willing to be honest, short-term missions have a whole lot to do with our desire to awaken the compassion of the heart in a way that can only be done by going personally, to an impoverished country.

It’s true our small team will not be able to accomplish what a skilled crew may. But it can be overlooked that God could stir the hearts of some, or all of the members in a lasting, powerful way.

I think of the way we (all of humanity) *need* the handicapped and less-than-perfect humans in our lives, probably much more than they need us. While they seem to thrive and be OK with who they are and often demonstrate far more strength of character, they soften us, make us more grateful, humble and appreciative of life. They make the world better just by their presence.

WTF Kelly. People with disabilites should not exist to make you feel better or teach you a lesson or other crap. They exist to live their own damn lives

here's annother good article about poverty tourism/short term missions don't help their intended recipients. http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/tgc ... ion-trips/

ETA

Catalina whoever you, you're awesome

Catalina says:

February 20, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Ok, I do see what you are saying. May I make a suggestion? There are hurt/impoverished/lost people in this country that she could serve better during that same week, better because they both speak the same language.

Kelly Crawford says:

February 20, 2014 at 2:51 pm

May I make a suggestion? How ’bout you let me and her Dad and her make decisions about how we want to spend our time and money. You don’t have to donate to the trip if you think it’s a bad idea.

By the way, she does serve here in this country. A lot.

Catalina says:

February 21, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Actually, it is my money, which you are asking for.

h67E7177F

Kelly has written about this kind of situation many times before, warning that even trips that seem innocent can turn dangerous when young single women are without their family. But I guess, just like the Morecrafts, it's okay when it's their daughter doing it-- just don't you try it.

This is one of the things about these people that really disgusts me - the hypocrisy. I know that just about everyone is guilty of this sometimes, but these fundies build up these "ministries" telling other people what they need to do and what they'd damn well better be sure that they don't do - and then the fundies behind it just go out and do whatever they want. It's easy to sit there and make up rules, and tell other people how they need to live their lives, but it's much harder to live by your own rules - so they don't! Doug the Tool was bad about it, Zhu Zhu does it, and now this.

I would love to write her a long comment and include links about the problems with this "poverty tourism" but I'm not going to waste my time, because she wouldn't even read it and couldn't comprehend it if she did.

Archived