IGNORED

Cats are crazy.

doggie

We had to have our old man cat (17 born on on friday the 13th) put down on Wednesday as he was just too bad could not eat pooping and peeing outside the box. weighed about 5 pounds.

my daughter left her cat with us, he never got along with any cats and fought off and on with old man cat. one time our daughter found him a new home and he ran away the next day and was found and returned 1.5 years later when someone read his collar. they dropped him back home and he remembered exactly where the food was. first thing he did was go and start eating. This cat is obsessed with food. we had a self feeder as we had 3 cats and kept it because old man needed all the food he could eat. well I replaced it the day old man cat got to go to heaven with a regular dish and 3/4 cup of food. well Blink was so depressed when he could not find Jinx the old man cat he was laying where jinx would lay on a pad by the heater. well the pad was gone as jinx had it in his carrier and soiled it and blink never slept there. so here is laying there and not noticing that I am doing something with the food (usually he comes running) and by friday still had not finished off the bowl of food. put some more food in there as he does not like to see the bottom of a bowl but hardly has eaten anything. My daughter gave him a can of food friday but it looks like he had not eaten much of anything since then. He goes outside for a short time and i let him out last night and he has not come back. still nothing today. it is a mobile home park and no real streets close and we don’t see him down any streets.

So now is the question is he going to come back it is a bit crazy really. knowing him he will show up a year later after I get rid of the expensive litter box.

Cats really are crazy. FYI, my sister swears by her expensive litter box, and she is a poor college student at the moment. :shifty-kitty: :wink-kitty:

• 2 months later...

My Eli doesn't like traditional cat toys. Give him a plastic grocery bag, paper sack, or a shopping bag and his 2 favorite toy rats, and he's good. He doesn't like toys that make noise, and he doesn't like interactive toys at all. Oh, and right now, his favorite thing to do is to wake up my fiancée by pouncing on him at 4am....LOL!

doggie, I'm sorry you had to let Old Man go. I'm the owner of a cat approaching his senior years at 15. Does Jinx normally patrol the neighborhood? Perhaps he's trying his paw at hunting or found another neighbor willing to share food. My guy has the neighbors wrapped around his whiskers. Try a different food bowl and placement. Maybe he needs a fresh dining area without Old Man's scent.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for the loss of your old man :( It's so hard to lose them.

Cats really are crazy. They are so unpredictable. I had a similar situation here with 2 of my girls. I had an older cat and 2 younger litter mate cats. The litter mates and the older cat did not get along at all. I got them when my old girl died and the cat we had left was so sad, she was constantly calling for her friend. It just broke my heart. She stopped when we got the kittens, but she never really warmed up to them. I guess she just didn't want to be the only cat in a house full of dogs ;)

Anyway, when that girl became the old girl and passed on, one of the litter mate cats suddenly started acting really strange (even for her). They spent most of their time hissing and chasing each other, so it took us a long time to even put 2 and 2 together than it was the old girl's death that was the trigger. Eventually, she got to the point that she was doing what is called "psychogenic licking" which resulted in her "grooming" all the fur off the back half of her body and her tummy :(

She and her sister both already have autoimmune disorders, so she didn't really need more on her plate. We got it under control with a combo of shots that we have to get her a few times a year to keep her system all level, but now she is so fragile about stuff it's just really annoying to be honest. I mean I still love her and wouldn't trade her, but the last time we had to take her in for her shots was because we got a new washing machine and she freaked out because we had to move some furniture briefly to get the old washer out and the new washer in.

The delivery guys were here for like 10 mintues...maybe 15 tops and the furniture was only out of place for the time they were here, but it sent her into a spiral and she started doing the over grooming again.

I hope your younger guy comes back. If/when he does, you might just go back to the old feeder for a while. My vet says that cats are so weird about changes that too many changes at once can really put them over the deep end, even if it's really small things to us.

never came back. Really if a cat can't go outside we don't want another one. way to lazy to clean litter boxes.

Archived