IGNORED

Black people don't care about trees

antares

halfsigma.com/2010/10/visit-to-prospect-park.html

Some of the most notable people in the "green" environment (which would probably include trees and other forms of nature) are black-Will Allen from Growing Power, environmentalist and green jobs advocate Van Jones, and Majora Carter from Sustainable South Bronx.

Oh, for fuck's sake. Black people live in cities for the same reason white people do, because that's where the jobs are.

Good point. I live in the city because it has more opportunities for me job-wise and the amenities I like-lots of good restaurants, extensive art and entertainment options, a decent public transportation system, close to the lake, etc. I grew up in an outer edge suburb. It was complete dullsville and very little amenities I liked. I felt completely isolated. And it didn't help that it was the kind of place where tea party types like to congregate.

Hah, just saw this:

http://lolmythesis.com/post/73389746389 ... th-century

So there you have it. The past few generations of Americans, especially African Americans, have been moving to cities for better opportunities, it's no surprise that some of them aren't big on parks today... especially if, one generation ago, the park in question wasn't as nice as it is now and only the newbies to the neighborhood don't have that in mind.

Archived