IGNORED

Christian Reconstructionism , Slavery And Bride Price

debrand

On a facebook page about Christian Reconstructionism someone asked if a woman is always married to the first man that she had sex.

facebook.com/groups/478280035590690/

Someone directs them to this very short story(three pages) It is a science fiction story with agrarian Christian Reconstructionists living somewhere in space. They employ contractors to do whatever they do.(I skimmed the story, sorry) A contractor has sexual relations with a young woman. He is a jerk so the family does not want him to marry the girl. One of them hits him and then sells him into hard labor to pay off the bride price.

tomsmedley.com/Passion.pdf

Johannes nodded.. "I agree with my son," he said. "Mynheer Johnson, we are

selling you, to cover past and present obligations. They say there's plenty of room on

Mars. Work hard, save your pennies, and you might have your bills paid in another

ten years. You told my daughter that you loved her. Now, you get to buy her a well

furnished home. Not that you'll ever see it. You won't be coming back. We don't want

you in our family

Wow. :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Just when I think these fundie can't get any whiter :shock: :shock: :shock:

On a facebook page about Christian Reconstructionism someone asked if a woman is always married to the first man that she had sex.

facebook.com/groups/478280035590690/

Someone directs them to this very short story(three pages) It is a science fiction story with agrarian Christian Reconstructionists living somewhere in space. They employ contractors to do whatever they do.(I skimmed the story, sorry) A contractor has sexual relations with a young woman. He is a jerk so the family does not want him to marry the girl. One of them hits him and then sells him into hard labor to pay off the bride price.

tomsmedley.com/Passion.pdf

Wow. :shock:

I am thrilled I found that group a few weeks ago, since my rabbit hole experience was realizing my brother in law was a dominionist-- and a state senator. So if I want to scare myself I read this facebook page, but when I want to console myself, I read it as well, as there is a lot of infighting.... hopefully enough they will never get their shit together.

I liked "The Dispossessed" better. Less mad fundies, more anarchos.

Don't believe a. the virginity-taker would act like such a stereotypical sexist (if he had the nous to lie to Natty, why would he be so arrogant with her brothers?) or b. that she would get nothing but love from her brothers, no slut-shaming at all. That's not what tends to happen in communities which guard the "purity" of their wimmenfolk.

I am thrilled I found that group a few weeks ago, since my rabbit hole experience was realizing my brother in law was a dominionist-- and a state senator. So if I want to scare myself I read this facebook page, but when I want to console myself, I read it as well, as there is a lot of infighting.... hopefully enough they will never get their shit together.

Yes, let the assholes get in fights with each other. Works like a charm.

Salex, I am sorry that you are stuck with a dominionist for a brother-in-law. That must make family get togethers tense.

The short story involved space Boers so I guess that is why they are so white. The bad guy who had sex with the young woman is obviously a jerk so that the writer can feel good about hitting him and sending him off to 10 years of hard labor in a slave camp. Dan has no depth at all and I can't help wondering how he managed to charm the young lady but not her brothers.

It is interesting how he sets the story up and what it says about the writer's beliefs and how the group views women. Women only have worth according to either the state of their vaginas or how much money they can bring to the marriage.

Johannes pressed a button on the desk. The door opened, and a bailiff and a

buyer walked in. "You made up your minds, yet?" the magistrate asked.

"He knows what he owes," Johannes replied. "Present him with the available

contracts, and place the money in our account."

The prisoner staggered out the door, to look an new future in its bleak face.

August, Georg, and Johannes clustered around the desk to sort out the tangled

emotional residues. Ivan and Fred drifted off together to price the available models

and delivery schedules for ark segments. They would do what they could to help their

sister rebuild her life. In another few days, they'd have some options for her to

consider, a hope chest 150 meters long to prepare for a better day, a better man.

It doesn't really matter that the young lady might not want her lover to do hard labor even if she acknowledges that he is a jerk. Who knows? Maybe she just wants unconnected sex or to live with him for a while. Her views don't matter. All that matters is that her family be able to sell her off and her vagina is what gives her value.

The writer is so certain that the Boerne's are right and good that he doesn't seem how horrible and twisted his story's heroes are.

By the way, Dan is from a group of contractors who happen to do something with the space coloniests' computers. I guess in the writer's world, the line between what good guys do(farm) and what bad guys do(make computers and software run) is very well drawn. If I was a computer programmer and I knew that a group sold one a member of my members into slavery, I'd go on strike and see how long their systems lasted without us.

Oh, the inlaws are a fun bunch... hubs was always an anomaly in the family--he and this particular brother never got along so when said relative went into the deep end of religion/politics, well, it isn't as though we were tight. The wife of that brother once cornered me in a conversation about where she simply couldn't understand that there was no scenario where I could vote for Sarah Palin.

Archived