IGNORED

Associate praying in Wal-Mart

Eponine

I couldn't help thinking of FJ when I came across this: this guy is moaning about getting a verbal warning for praying over a customer (who is a "customer that [the associate] personally know, who is also a brother in the Lord as well as a very good friend" and anointing him with oil.

So, fine, that might be unfair to reprimand the guy for that. But let's take a peek at how he describes himself:

"In addition to being a legally ordained and licensed independent Christian minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ and a Chaplain in the Christian Chaplains Corps Of America (CCCA), I am also a Wal~Mart Maintenance Associate... I do NOT force my religious beliefs upon anyone. I am NOT politically correct. I AM Biblically correct. I do pray for both, customers AND associates alike." Yes, you sound exactly like the type who would "NOT force your religious belief." :roll:

He describes the incident: "I anointed him with oil and we prayed. we did NOT cause, nor did we, a seen or a disturbance. In no way could anyone hear us. "IF", by chance anyone did look our way, it still would be quite obvious that we were definitely praying very quietly so that we were the only ones who could hear and understand each other. Since he was a customer, I WAS performing a customer service! He wanted AND needed prayer that only I can offer!" Only he can offer it! He's the only one who can pray/anoint this other guy with oil! While working!

When someone reports the incident (because, as the associate believes, they were "traumatized") the associate is "ganged up on" and reprimanded. Then, "I did, in turn, inform them that Christians DO have rights IN the workplace! They did agree with me on that one statement. However, I still can NOT pray for anyone on the clock because someone WILL be offended! I AM surrounded by offended victims AND Christians filled with AND empowered by the Spirit of Fear! I then, in turn, asked them "What "IF" someone came in AND prayed for me!?"

So what do you think, FJ? Should people on the clock be allowed to pray over their customers? Even if that should be allowed, is this guy being a self-righteous dickhole?

Edited because I am dumb and forgot the link: http://gawker.com/a-wal-mart-worker-ask ... 1454169652

(Not breaking because Gawker won't care)

yeah, he's being a dickhole, but on the other hand I have worked with muslims who say their prayers while working, also out of site of other workers and clients.

ETA I see he did do this within sight of others, which isn't cool but highly doubt anyone was actually traumatized by it.

It's lovely to pray for your friends when they request it. It's lovely to take a look at your friend's worrying rash when he requests it. It's lovely to teach your friend how to knit a cable sweater. Those are lovely acts of friendship.

None of them should be performed while you're being paid to work at your retail job. This is not rocket science for most people.

I think people of all religious faiths should pray on their break time, not during the time they're supposed to be available to customers/clients/co-workers.

The guy himself seems to be the dime-a-dozen&full-of-himself cheap grace preacherman and the story of someone being "traumatized" because he or she sees someone praying on the parking lot is probably just plain exaggeration, from whichever site this was claimed from.

On praying while working, with a costumer who likes this: Meh, weirder stuff happens. He was maybe "camouflaging" taking some break minutes, but as much as I read about the terrible working conditions at Walmarts I say he - fundie or not - probably earns a couple of leisure minutes, regardless if he spends it praying or reading the newspaper.

In his break he is free to do whatever he wants as long as he keeps it to himself and it´s harmless.

If I , as a costumer, would encounter a store clerk and a costumer kneeling at the oil & vinegar aisle rubbing ...er..."anointing" each other with oil and praying Holy Mary, I would maybe mumble a quick" Daaamn, mental asylum having field day again or what?" but I certainly wouldn´t be traumatized (and you have a good story telling the folks at home).

But if the sausage counter lady handles me my ham with the words "I will pray for you, because you are an ebil fornicating bitch and your child bears the mark of the antichrist!"... well, then we have a problem!

In short, if it´s not blown out of proportion, a little "personal crazy" on the workplace hurts nobody as long as it´s not intending to hurt or disgrace somebody in the first place ( like a visible swastika tattoo or displaying your favorite BDSM calender on your desk... you get the picture)

If no one could see or hear him then how was anyone traumatized? This story really doesn't add up. I call BS on the whole thing, I think he's just screaming "christians are so persecuted in the US" because it's giving him some desperately desired attention. Or he got in trouble for dumping oil on someone while in his work uniform and on the clock in clear view of customers. Either way no one is in therapy for whatever happened.

Bottom line, guy is :cray-cray:

It's lovely to pray for your friends when they request it. It's lovely to take a look at your friend's worrying rash when he requests it. It's lovely to teach your friend how to knit a cable sweater. Those are lovely acts of friendship.

None of them should be performed while you're being paid to work at your retail job. This is not rocket science for most people.

I think people of all religious faiths should pray on their break time, not during the time they're supposed to be available to customers/clients/co-workers.

This. My Muslim co-workers, those who choose to pray at specific times, ask for their breaks to be at those times and they are accommodated. My job is with at a secular company, so it will not pay people to pray, bless, damn, anoint, exorcise, etc. All such activities are done during breaks or at home.

ETA some damning is done under our breaths at particularly nasty customers.

Back when I had no hair (chemo) a Wal-Mart checker offered to pray for me. I found this highly inappropriate, but I didn't know what to say so I didn't say anything.

I live in Michele Bachmann's district, so lots of praying and "Amens" going on.

To me, since he claims to be a minister and someone came to him requesting to be prayed for, it seems like he was holding a prayer service on the job. Is he going to invite the congregation to bible study in the book aisle next?

Anointing with oil? Did probably-still-gay Greg get a . . . a . . . (dare I say it?) . . .

job?

Nah, not possible.

What is the deal with praying in Wal-Mart? I've seen several facebook friends post lately about someone stopping them in Wal-Mart asking if they could pray for them. I'd be horrified by a stranger doing that, but they loved it and the posts got dozens of likes with lots of comments about how brave and wonderful the "prayer warriors" are.

There were plenty of religious people at the WMs I worked at, including ministers. Most never got noticed unless they were really, really weird. I'd bet my glass of chai that he slacked off his job in favor of peddling god and was "coached" about it. PERSECUTION!

When I worked for WM, if somebody didn't do their job, somebody else had to pick up the slack as much as possible. If this guy spent any length of time with his "brother in the Lord," and I'm quite sure he did, it's no wonder somebody PERSECUTED!!! him. That was time he should have spent doing his job--and dog knows there aren't enough hours to go around anyway--and now somebody else has to do that in addition to their own work. If it were me, I'd let it slide once or twice, but not if it happened more often or went on for a long period of time. He can pray during his breaks or lunches. (Dog help me, I sound like a manager.)

This guy sounds like a douchebag. "Unlike most Christians, I actually live out my faith" and the customer "wanted and NEEDED prayer that only I can offer"?

(snip)On praying while working, with a costumer who likes this: Meh, weirder stuff happens. He was maybe "camouflaging" taking some break minutes, but as much as I read about the terrible working conditions at Walmarts I say he - fundie or not - probably earns a couple of leisure minutes, regardless if he spends it praying or reading the newspaper.

In his break he is free to do whatever he wants as long as he keeps it to himself and it´s harmless. (snip)

If he were on break or off the clock, he'd probably be fine. Walmart, at least the ones I've been in, have generic blue shirts + Walmart vests OR generic blue shirt + name tag. I worked at Walmart once and you're required to take off the vest and/or name tag during break and lunch. While I think they can request that employees don't do things the powers-that-be dislike while on premises but not working, I doubt a manager would comment if he was on his time AND out of uniform (no vest or nametag). I imagine this happened while he was on the clock or uniform.

As a former Walmart employee, I'd be pissed that he wasn't doing his Walmart job while on the clock. We were chronically understaffed at mine and it made work miserable. Re: his own time, they were vigilant at my Walmart about everyone taking break and lunch on time, since they had a few lawsuits once about not getting break. You were to take break every two hours no matter what.

I swear evangelicals do not know the meaning of the word evangelize and when it's appropriate to evangelize.

Back when I had no hair (chemo) a Wal-Mart checker offered to pray for me. I found this highly inappropriate, but I didn't know what to say so I didn't say anything.

Oh, then you are very close to me! My roommate and I were bummed we couldn't vote out Bachmann. We live very close to her district.

Anyway, he was on the clock. Should have been working instead of anointing. It didn't have to be done right that very second and could have waited until a break.

That said, I do get randomly stopped and asked if I can be prayed for. Or weirder things. I have a very noticeable physical disability, and I walk with forearm crutches and I have a full knee brace. So, it happens to me a LOT. At the bus stop, at the grocery, on the bus, wandering around town, you name it. It's almost as if having a disability gets you a magical card or something.

I post this so much, typing "m" in my search bar brings it right up.

Matthew 6:5-6

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Um, who carries around Special Anointing Oil in their pocket on a regular basis? Because you never know when someone will NEED to be anointed, I guess. :?

Um, who carries around Special Anointing Oil in their pocket on a regular basis? Because you never know when someone will NEED to be anointed, I guess. :?

I'm sure it's on the shelf there somewhere...

I hope he knew what he was doing. Annointing can be dangerous:

Exodus 30:31-33 ESV / 83 helpful votes

And you shall say to the people of Israel, ‘This shall be my holy anointing oil throughout your generations. It shall not be poured on the body of an ordinary person, and you shall make no other like it in composition. It is holy, and it shall be holy to you. Whoever compounds any like it or whoever puts any of it on an outsider shall be cut off from his people.’â€

This is why evangelical fundamentalism appeals to these people. Underneath that blue vest beats the heart of (drum roll) ... an anointing, prayer conducting, duly designated representative of god herself!(trumpet flourish) Instead of oil, perhaps he could switch to Windex.

I don't think it's fair to compare this instance to Muslims who pray during work hours. Muslims are required by their religion to pray five times a day, and during certain intervals of the day (which might not even coincide with their 15 minute breaks). As a religious obligation, I believe that needs to be respected (same for the Muslim women wearing hijab while working at Walmart or the Mennonite women wearing prayer caps while working at Walmart... that should be respected because it is a requirement of their religion... a walmart associate choosing to wear a beanie cap however, may very well be told to take it off).

This man's prayer, while complementing his faith, was not a requirement of it. Thus, I don't believe the workplace is required to accomodate that.

In addition, the arguement that it was customer service because that customer wanted that service from him is ludicrous... If a walmart associate also is a hair dresser at her home, can she insist she needs to cut my hair in the checkout line if I requested it just because I am a customer and I requested A service? of course not!

Customer Service at Walmart means serving a customer in regards to their walmart shopping.

He might not have been hurting anybody, but neither was he doing his job. Growing up in the church, I was always told that when you slack off at work, you're stealing from your boss, because that's money he has to pay you but you're not working. So you're stealing time, or something like that. I'm not explaining this well, am I?

Basically, this guy was cheating his boss out of actual WORK as he was doing this. Not something the Jesus I grew up hearing about would do...

You do not! REALLY!!??

I am so sorry for you. I hope you homeschool your kids to keep them away from Bachmannbots and their terrible indoctrination, lies and falsehoods.

Archived