IGNORED

Associate praying in Wal-Mart

Eponine

Um, who carries around Special Anointing Oil in their pocket on a regular basis? Because you never know when someone will NEED to be anointed, I guess. :?

Not making this up- A lot of Greek Orthodox old ladies carry small vials of holy oil on their person at all times. They use it to anoint friends and family they are visiting in the hospital, who are house bound, while waiting for first aid, put it on grand daughter about to go into the delivery room, etc. I got to say I have a soft spot for old ladies carrying the oil armor around in their bras like my granny used to. :D

However, granny also worked a paying job, and as far as I know never anointed anyone on the clock.

He might not have been hurting anybody, but neither was he doing his job. Growing up in the church, I was always told that when you slack off at work, you're stealing from your boss, because that's money he has to pay you but you're not working. So you're stealing time, or something like that. I'm not explaining this well, am I?

Basically, this guy was cheating his boss out of actual WORK as he was doing this. Not something the Jesus I grew up hearing about would do...

I think it depends on your boss too. I work for my family and I don't think anyone would say a word if I stopped to pray with a customer.

Not making this up- A lot of Greek Orthodox old ladies carry small vials of holy oil on their person at all times. They use it to anoint friends and family they are visiting in the hospital, who are house bound, while waiting for first aid, put it on grand daughter about to go into the delivery room, etc. I got to say I have a soft spot for old ladies carrying the oil armor around in their bras like my granny used to. :D

However, granny also worked a paying job, and as far as I know never anointed anyone on the clock.

Ahhh. See, in my church (Byzantine Catholic), as far as I know, the holy oil is only in possession of the priest. But we can take gallons of holy water home on Theophany!

While the whole thing is not my cup of tea and it might make me uncomfortable to be around that, I think it is as bit over the top to say someone was traumatized by the whole thing. As far as him wasting Walmart time, I think we are all guilty of doing something that is not work related on the clock-making a phone call, paying a bill, chatting with a co-worker. I don't know anyone that works from 8-5 and only does work stuff strictly on their breaks.

Yeah, I wonder if someone actually said they were traumatized by it, which sounds ridiculous, or if the guy was just trying to play up his persecution.

Although I wouldn't be "traumatized", I would be uncomfortable if I went into a large retail store, looked for a floor assistant, and saw someone in the store uniform praying with a presumed customer. I go to church regularly, but I don't expect to see people buying box fans or cereal there!

If you want to spend 10 second having a silent prayer for someone on the clock it's cool. But to go through an anointing in oil prayer ritual, yeah you need to be doing the work you are paid for.

ETA I see he did do this within sight of others, which isn't cool but highly doubt anyone was actually traumatized by it.

I think it's sweet. Why is it not cool? They weren't hurting anyone. I was at the airport with a group of my friends for our annual girls trip, and some Muslims dropped the mats down and prayed. No big deal. We just walked around them. This world needs more religious tolerance.

I don't think it's an issue to quietly pray alone on your break. I do think it's an issue if it's on the company's dime, or you're off the clock but on the work site and wearing a uniform. If the guy was a friend, pray with him after work, or pray during your break on your own.

I think it's important that personal faith be allowed to be expressed in a person's own time. It's not appropriate for work, though. I think there can be some exceptions, such as Muslims needing a prayer mat and needing to pray in the direction of Mecca 5 times a day, but that is the sort of thing you work out with your employer. You need to work around your circumstances, your workplace doesn't owe you anything when it comes to religious freedom other than the right to not be discriminated against.

I think it's sweet. Why is it not cool? They weren't hurting anyone. I was at the airport with a group of my friends for our annual girls trip, and some Muslims dropped the mats down and prayed. No big deal. We just walked around them. This world needs more religious tolerance.

I agree that people need to be tolerant of personal faith. I have no time for organised religion but I very deeply respect personal faith. However, I don't think that's a fair comparison.

The Muslims in the airport were presumably not airport employees being paid to work there and represent the airport. Also, what they were doing is required by their religion. Anointing some guy in holy oil is not required by Christianity, especially not in the middle of a person's workplace while they're on the job. I'd have more sympathy if he'd been turned in for doing something like wearing a crucifix necklace or prayer beads or carrying a bible in his pocket or murmuring a prayer under his breath while he worked, something that is subtle and didn't stop him from doing his job. In fact, if any of those examples had been the case, I would say it was extremely unfair to the man.

There was no need to get down on his knees and anoint that guy in oil then and there. In his own time, in his own home, sure. But not in the middle of a shopping center and certainly not while he's supposed to be working.

Here's the problem with prayer while you're on the clock at work: if someone needs your help (that you're being paid to provide), they either have to interrupt you or wait until you're done. It is the same as having an intense personal conversation with a friend in person or on the phone while you're on the clock at work.

In the airport, you're a private individual waiting for your flight. Nobody needs your help. Nobody has to weigh the pros and cons of inconveniencing themselves by waiting until you're done, or being rude by interrupting you.

Were they working?

If those were employees that stopped doing their actual job that they are being paid for and it wasn't some sort of break when they were no longer expected to work, then no, that wasn't appropriate and it did hurt the people they were supposed to be helping with their job.

I have a hard enough time trying to find a person to assist me at Walmart, I would be greatly annoyed if I finally found an employee and couldn't ask for help because they were anointing people with oil. I don't want to have to awkwardly interrupt an employee not doing their job to get assistance.

If those were employees that stopped doing their actual job that they are being paid for and it wasn't some sort of break when they were no longer expected to work, then no, that wasn't appropriate and it did hurt the people they were supposed to be helping with their job.

I have a hard enough time trying to find a person to assist me at Walmart, I would be greatly annoyed if I finally found an employee and couldn't ask for help because they were anointing people with oil. I don't want to have to awkwardly interrupt an employee not doing their job to get assistance.

When I was working at Walmart, one of my bosses used to count my traveling time from the front of the store where I worked to the back room as part of my break. So, if it took about 4 minutes to get to the back room, there went 8 minutes of my 15 minute break (not to mention if someone asked me for help while I was walking through the store). Ugh. Hated working there. I'd be so frustrated if my coworkers were so busy anointing someone to slack off on their jobs.

Related note, while I was a cashier, I frequently got proselytized to. Like, the little books with the Thank-you-for-rescuing-me-Jesus prayers. The man who did this most often was very sweet but the "come to our church services" was uncomfortable, because it was hard to defuse the situation politely without seeming rude (and getting in trouble with my manager). I basically suggested that I was getting back into my family's church instead (nope) but thank you for the offer. It's just awkward because it's a bit of a captive audience situation.

If you think its' ok to anoint someone with holy water while on the clock being paid by an employer you surely wouldn't have a problem with them doing other things (than work) while on the clock for work. It is not about tolerance but about appropriateness. :penguin-no:

If you think its' ok to anoint someone with holy water while on the clock being paid by an employer you surely wouldn't have a problem with them doing other things (than work) while on the clock for work. It is not about tolerance but about appropriateness. :penguin-no:

Exactly. If using work time to do personal things like anoint with oil is fine, then it was perfectly fine for the grocery store employee who I needed to assist me this morning but instead was catching up with a friend to do that. I eventually had to interrupt their conversation, and I really hate having to do stuff like that, but I couldn't find the item I needed and there was no one else unless I wanted to search the store.

What's the purpose of anointing with oil anyway? Does God hear your prayers better if you get all slicked-up in the Wal-Mart?

:think:

Seriously, I don't know what the purpose is supposed to be, cause I'm a heathen and all. I just know D2 and verygayGreg are all into it, and their lives are all super hunky-dory what with the homelessness, perpetual pregnancy, McDonalds ministry and all that jizz -- I mean jazz....

What's the purpose of anointing with oil anyway? Does God hear your prayers better if you get all slicked-up in the Wal-Mart?

:think:

Seriously, I don't know what the purpose is supposed to be, cause I'm a heathen and all. I just know D2 and verygayGreg are all into it, and their lives are all super hunky-dory what with the homelessness, perpetual pregnancy, McDonalds ministry and all that jizz -- I mean jazz....

I have no idea. There is something in the Bible about it but I never really got the point. I did find directions on how to make my own anointing oil! Apparently it is super easy. All you do is get some regular oil, pour it in a jar and pray for God to cleanse any defilements out of it. It is a cure for everything from injuries to just needing to clear your thoughts to keeping demons from making your kids fight.

victoryoverthedemonic.com/articles/annointingOil.aspx

Huh. I guess I'm lucky I've gone almost 50 years with no serious injuries, a relatively clear head and as far as I know, no demons making my children fight (they seem to get along about as well as brothers can.) I do cook with a lot of olive oil because I've heard it's hearty-healthy so maybe that suffices for my oil-anointing. Seems more practical, and tastier, than lettin some stranger rub ya down in the Wal-Mart. Believe I'll pass on that.

That link was confusing. First he says the oil has no power, it's just oil. Then he describes how it helps you battle Satan. He says it's just any kind of oil you pray over. Then he says he sells "raw" and "pre-mixed" anointing oil. Is the raw oil prayer-free and the pre-mixed has already been prayed over?

I'm as confused as ever.

:shifty-kitty:

Store #23

A psalm of Samuel:

Sam Walton’s in Walmart, I shall go shop.

He maketh me to buy down in green pillows, he leadeth to DVDs by John Waters.

He refilleth my cart: he leadeth me in the aisles of acquisitiveness, for his bank’s sake.

Yea though I walk through the aisle of the extreme markdowns, I will fear no dings, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy reel are in sporting goods.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of Subway, thou anointest my head with oil, my hair runneth over. :ew:

Surely Security and that weird guy shall follow me all the hours that I shop, and I will dwell in the Walmart of the Sam forever.

Store #23

A psalm of Samuel:

Sam Walton’s in Walmart, I shall go shop.

He maketh me to buy down in green pillows, he leadeth to DVDs by John Waters.

He refilleth my cart: he leadeth me in the aisles of acquisitiveness, for his bank’s sake.

Yea though I walk through the aisle of the extreme markdowns, I will fear no dings, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy reel are in sporting goods.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of Subway, thou anointest my head with oil, my hair runneth over. :ew:

Surely Security and that weird guy shall follow me all the hours that I shop, and I will dwell in the Walmart of the Sam forever.

Bravo! :clap:

The early church picked up anointing from the ancient cultures of the Med and Middle East. Anointing of the sick is a custom that was practiced by multiple cultures including ancient Greeks and ancient Hebrews. Anointing was also done way before Christianity came on the scene to bless a new king or ruler in some of these cultures.

I am about to go to bed and am being extremely lazy so I don't have the exact reference, but one of Paul's letters instructs that if one of the congregation is sick, they should be anointed by the elders. In addition to using it for the sick and to anoint a ruler during a coronation, Christianity also added a mystical component that it was for the remission of spiritual sickness (sin) and not just physical sickness. Anointing is a sacrament in the Orthodox and Catholic Churches, and is practiced by many Protestant denominations.

I bet anything no-one said they were traumatised. That's just him exaggerating wildly.

Totally agree with the person who said they would be embarrassed interrupting, that's the thing. If you're anointing someone with oil and praying over them, you're not actually available to, I dunno, tell people where the ready meal section is or clean up the spilt coleslaw in aisle seven or keep an eye on the dodgy character trying to stuff DVDs down his pants. Therefore it's like having unscheduled breaks whenever you want, and management do not love you for that.

Also, can there really be a case of prayer anointing which can't wait until you're off the clock?

Archived