IGNORED

Cooking w/Anna M (new blog).

Justme

Due to popular request, Anna has post a weeks menu's. Now I know they were "on the road", but the menu seems rather, childish.... Lots of hot dogs and sloppy joe's. She said they eat salad with each meal, however, I still see a lack of veggies. I like a salad, plus one or two veggies with my meal, plus a protein and maybe a starch. I guess they get their fruit in their smoothie. (Eating a piece of fruit is much better for you then blending it.)

With the high value they place on "homemaking" from their women, and the fact that there are 4 women in their household, I expected to see more homemade foods. Things like stews, soups, breads, etc. :shrug:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might just be ease of packing for a trip like that. I'd be more interested to see what they eat at home.

Even allowing for ease of packing I still see a lack of fibre and freshness. Vegetables for steaming/baking can be stored longer than a week. They aren't exactly going bush! :roll:

Who else is interpreting it as an unsubtle fundie style advertising campaign to find a husband?

In the past 6 months or so there seems to have been a fairly concerted effort to paint Anna as ideal wife material-she's nearly always photographed with a kid or two in tow and Sarah has gone out of her way to make sure her readers know she really, really loves children. Then there's the cooking/house cleaning pics (although it could be argued that they are just de rigeur if you're a Maxfemale).

My theory is that Sarah has been earmarked as the permanent SAHD/spinster aunt. If she marries at all it will be after Stevehovah& Teri-fied have shuffled off this mortal coil. I'm not sure if it was always Steve's long term plan or if he's just making good ofan unintended consequence of their extreme social isolation.

Anna and Mary will be married off in the next few years if all goes to plan. He's ramping up his efforts to find a suitable husband. I'm not sure if he will be successful but I do think there's a definite plan and it involves giving God a bit of a helping hand, I don't think Steve actually believes that God will be miraculously producing a husband without any human input.

I'm not sure where (or if) John Marie fits in. I lean towards thinking he will end up paired with Mary. My other theory is that he was being considered but he has been found wanting for some reason (either by Steve or by Anna).

Wow, out of 16, meals, 8 of them were snacks/leftovers/eating out? So she actually prepared 8 meals in 8 days? What an impressive accomplishment. Glad you put off college to learn that, Anna.

It might just be ease of packing for a trip like that. I'd be more interested to see what they eat at home.

Ask and you shall receive. This was copied from the titus 2 forum about food.

Here's what our lunch menu is:

--Monday, Sandwiches

--Tuesday, Soup

--Wednesday, Pizza Bread (Bread toasted, then spread pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese: melt in the oven)

--Thursday, Bean Burritos or Breakfast Burritos

--Friday and Saturday, whatever (sometimes leftovers, Macaroni and Cheese, etc)

Dinner Menu:

We have salad and fruit each dinner.

Sunday--burritos (http://www.titus2.com/maxwells-burrito-recipe.htm)

Wednesday--just salad and fresh tortillas

Saturday--homemade soup and fresh bread

Other evenings are variable

Hope this helps!

Sarah

Here is the Maxwell's Thanksgiving menu.

By: SarahMaxwell3 on 11/25/2008 9:40:14 PM

Okay, here's what we're having :-).

Turkey

Mashed potatoes

Gravy

Rolls

Stuffing

Seven-Layer Salad

Pumpkin Pie

Mile-High Fudge Brownie Pie

We're starting out the day with homemade cinnamon rolls. We girls are going to have a baking afternoon tomorrow and bake the pies and put together the dough for the cinnamon rolls.

Blessings,

Sarah

Note, they seem not to do many vegetables.

I am not mother-tongue English but... the grammar in this sentence sounds rather odd:

I plan the first few weeks of meals although it is a guide, and I do not have to follow it exactly.

Steve once said he does nothing to find spouses for his kids. I think Sarah is using the blog to point out the wonderful homemaking qualities Anna has. Sarah manages the blog and it's really the only tool she has to help her sister.

Steve once said he does nothing to find spouses for his kids. I think Sarah is using the blog to point out the wonderful homemaking qualities Anna has. Sarah manages the blog and it's really the only tool she has to help her sister.

Well that seems to be working well. He has 2 of his 7 adult children married, and as many failed courtships as successful ones. Obviously, he knows what works.

Yeah, but now Steve-o wants to start shilling a new courtship book. He has to marry off one of his daughters or he knows that even his legg humping ilk will call BS on that.

I can't tell if it's just the style of the post or what but Anna's writing is even worse than Sarah's. I can't imagine what Anna's future offsprings writing will be like with her as their teacher.

I can't tell if it's just the style of the post or what but Anna's writing is even worse than Sarah's. I can't imagine what Anna's future offsprings writing will be like with her as their teacher.

I agree. It is terrible, just terrible. My 13yo could do far better.

Also, with lunch and dinner, we have salad, but instead of repetitiously listing it, I thought I would just let you know here.

???

Eh, that menu looks like what we used to do in my home ec class, around 1966. I don't think Deb at Smitten Kitchen has much to worry about.

Even though they only posted about cooking on the road, Anna's cooking and menu planning skills seem to be pretty much in line with the rest with just about everything else they do--writing, "art," photography, decorating and so on. Limited, unimaginative, bland, practical, informed by nothing and existing in a vacuum. No surprise here since we wouldn't want anything to detract from Jesus, so food appears to be nothing but sustenance for them. They eat to live, not live to eat (personally, I like a happy medium), so what they consume is probably just "tasty" enough to be edible and they've trained their palates to LIKE IT, DAMMIT! I think I can say with 100% certainty that Anna's never read food blogs (at least non-fundie ones that haven't been thoroughly vetted by Steve) or perused Pinterest in search of something new. Same old, same old, every week. I love reading food blogs, taking cooking classes and trying new things. But of course, I also believe that life is meant for living, unlike the Maxwells who believes that life is just preparation for death, NO FUN ALLOWED. It's pretty sad that their leg-humpers look to Anna to hone their cooking chops.

As for advertising her as marriage material on the blog...well, I just can't picture any suitable young man pouring over the Maxwell blog. Fundie blogs in general seem to be the woman's domain, both writing and reading them. So unless some mom with a marriage-age son happens to be reading and thinks there might be a potential match, it's just a dead end. Seems like a potential suitor really will have to fall out of the sky, just like one of those turkeys on the classic WKRP episode. Let's hope they fare better. Or maybe not, considering this is the Maxwells we're talking about.

Edit: I posted the clip and then thought the better of it. The premise is rather cringe-worthy by today's standards (the show is from the 70s) and even thought it's pretty damned funny, it could be triggering from some. Just google "As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly," and there it is.

It could turn out just fine if the kid is allowed to read freely and deeply from a range of well-written materials on various subjects... Oh wait. I forgot who we're talking about here!

I agree. It is terrible, just terrible. My 13yo could do far better.

Also, with lunch and dinner, we have salad, but instead of repetitiously listing it, I thought I would just let you know here.

???

Perhaps there was a sale on commas at Costco.

My family doesn't mind hot dogs or sloppy joes for dinner. But we would have to have chips or baked potatoes or french fries with our meal along with a salad or vegetable.

If their serving sizes is what I think my growing 6' 3" 220 lb son would starve. Actually, I think my toy poodles may eat more than the Maxwells.

OK, not to toot my own horn or anything, but I've never taken a home ec class, went to college and work full time. Here's what I've served my own family for dinner so far this week:

Sunday: home-made chicken noodle soup (big Sunday lunch)

Monday: African peanut stew and asparagus

Tuesday: Pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes (even dug up the potatoes myself), cauliflower, baked squash

Wednesday: Salmon, wild rice, broccoli

Thursday: Turkey chili, salad

All made from scratch. It wasn't hard, it didn't take long (crockpot comes in handy for stews, chili). Every stew/soup contains lots of veggies. You don't need to stay at home all day to provide good meals for your family!

OK, not to toot my own horn or anything, but I've never taken a home ec class, went to college and work full time. Here's what I've served my own family for dinner so far this week:

Sunday: home-made chicken noodle soup (big Sunday lunch)

Monday: African peanut stew and asparagus

Tuesday: Pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes (even dug up the potatoes myself), cauliflower, baked squash

Wednesday: Salmon, wild rice, broccoli

Thursday: Turkey chili, salad

All made from scratch. It wasn't hard, it didn't take long (crockpot comes in handy for stews, chili). Every stew/soup contains lots of veggies. You don't need to stay at home all day to provide good meals for your family!

I am tooting your horn because your menu sounds delicious.

I also, work full time and don't find cooking a balanced meal hard at all. The crock pot is my best friend. But there are nights that we do fend for ourselves though.

(Edited because I don't proof read very well.)

Yes, crockpots are wonderful. I use mine about 2x per week, and frequently on Sundays when making our watchin' football meal.

No wonder her writing style is so awkward. I imagine (outside of school texts) the only reading she's ever done consists of the bible and Moody books.

Praise God! Gordon Ramsey has been purposed to take over Kylie M's commenting duties!

Ya know, I thought that keep on cooking and serving him comment seemed a little questionable.

Edit: I posted the clip and then thought the better of it. The premise is rather cringe-worthy by today's standards (the show is from the 70s) and even thought it's pretty damned funny, it could be triggering from some. Just google "As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly," and there it is.

I probably say that quote at least once a week. It never fails to crack me up.

I cleaned my ceiling fans the other day. It would have made Steve proud, if I hadn't been drinking a beer and listening to rock music while doing it. Also I am pretty sure that they hadn't been cleaned in months.

I thought that Anna's post sounded like a singles ad for fundies. Or was Steve's way of showing off how "accomplished" his adult children* are. If you just follow the word of Steve and buy his books and other "educational" materials than your children can be as well rounded and talented as his kids.

*the phrase adult children irritates the living shit out of me. Children are children. Adults are adults. My kids will always be my kids, but they will grow up to become adults even if they still live at home. They won't need to get married and have children of their own to be respected as a grown adult. My children are 3 and 5 months old. They get my respect because they are their own person, individuals having their own life experiences. Steve is entirely too parasitic, Narcissistic, and self centered to ever give any of his family members respect or to acknowledge their individuality and allow for them the freedom to express their individual natures. No they must follow the rules of the cult of Steve. They talk about how their kids are basically forced to be each others friends. I hope my sons are frienss with each other, but if their temperaments don't mesh then they won't be forced into a friendship. I wouldn't strip them of their individuality just so that fit into my mold of an ideal family. This what makes me sad for children in fundies families. How sad it must be to force yourself into a mold that doesn't fit who you are.

Archived