IGNORED

How to "succeed at parties or "Rape Bait"

Chowder Head

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/09/opinion/f ... =obnetwork

" An e-mail from a Georgia Tech fraternity member to his Phi Kappa Tau brothers came to light this week. It was about how to "succeed at parties," or more specifically "luring your rapebait." It came with repulsively detailed instructions about how to scope out a target, weaken her defenses with alcohol, grab her and ...."

Goes on to state the "fraternity men were three times more likely to commit rape than other men on college campuses" and a study has shown "study is that we found that it was the fraternity experience that led men to be more likely to rape."

This shows that the concern about rape and alcohol is NOT about two people each getting intoxicated to the same degree and agreeing to have sex.

It's about sexual predators deliberately seeking out vulnerable targets, and seeing women under the influence of alcohol as vulnerable.

This letter was disgusting and awful - I think possibly the worst part about it is not so much the specifics, but how things like this are used to ingrain misogyny and rape culture in young men.

To be fair to the guy, though, afterwards he wrote a pretty decent apology (possibly the only "apology" for something like this that I've seen and am okay with): http://nique.net/opinions/2013/10/10/an ... community/ (not breaking because the Georgia Tech paper likely won't care).

To me it looks like the backlash kind of came out of nowhere for him and forced him to think about why that kind of writing and culture is horrible. Interestingly, the "rapebait" term came from a nickname he was given as a pledge to the frat: as a freshman it seems he was targeted by as aspect of rape culture but still absorbed it and perpetuated it. I wouldn't say I "forgive" him exactly but to me it seems like he's learned something pretty significant from this going viral.

The thing is, did the author of the original letter really write this himself? Was it written as a PR move? Does he really believe that he was wrong and now has a better understanding of how horrible that letter was?

I'd advocate a 'watchful waiting' approach to see if this man and his fraternity are really turning over a new leaf.

Archived