IGNORED

Secular vs. Christian College

chaotic life

Are you trying to say that priests and nuns can't be professors? Many Catholic clergy have graduate degrees in addition to their religious studies, making them perfectly qualified to teach.

Priests have to get a master's degree to be ordained. That's what seminary is--many have MAs in both theology and philosophy. And those who teach in universities have appropriate degrees to their areas. Many who are parish priests have additional training such as counseling (I know two with master's degrees in that) or education. I worked for one who had completed a master's in educational administration because of managing parish schools.

And most nuns are highly educated as well in a variety of fields. I know nuns with Ph.Ds in areas as diverse as social work and classical studies (the latter is a college professor).

I interviewed at a Catholic college on the east coast a couple of years ago. The faculty I interviewed with (all women, actually) were evenly split between nuns and secular faculty. One of the nuns and I had a grand time planning a medieval rhetoric and philosophy course that we wanted to team teach, and I know she had a Ph.D in philosophy.

I went to a small, private university founded by the Church of the Brethren. It lands somewhere between secular and Christian. We didn't have to go to chapel, didn't have to take religion courses, but the ideals of the CoB were still very present.

My aunt got her degrees and works for a Christian university in California that has a warning from the regional accreditation agency for some academic deficiencies... she's kind of fundie lite.

My point is that Kathie Lee Gifford went to Oral Roberts University, and yet she drinks like a fish.

My aunt was at ORU at the same time as Kathie Lee (then Epstein). My aunt now drinks like a fish as well :animals-fishblue: :animals-fishblue:

My aunt was at ORU at the same time as Kathie Lee (then Epstein). My aunt now drinks like a fish as well :animals-fishblue: :animals-fishblue:

I went to a state college in OK a couple of years and had friends who lived in Jenks (a town near/adjacent to ORU) and knew people who went there. They said it had a strong party/drug subculture in the mid 70s, though I don't konw first hand. I had considered going there for their music program, but foundthem off putting because of how they treated women and, back then, they would not accept people with physical disabilities (because it made their healing ministry look iffy). My parents just thought the healing thing was too weird in general.

As I recall, Robert's first wife wrote a tell all about some drug abuse within the family of perscription drugs.

Graduate of an IFB school here. Very much agnostic. Very much against organized religion.

IFB schools are crap. The education is crap and the majority of them aren't regionally accredited so your credits and degree mean nothing if you decide you'd like to expand your academic horizons. It's just another one of they ways they keep themselves insular and create jobs for likeminded people. Nothing more.

Archived