IGNORED

Pole-dancing kids

OkToBeTakei

It's an article from a blog by a UK ISP online lifestyle page. So not to sell anything.

Fishnet tights used to scream 'prostitute' if you wore them. Now, they are fashion accessory that all woman wear. Including teen girls who rock that look with DM's.

Red lipstick. The same.

Does that mean because they are associated with sex work we as parents should not let them wear them because people do not know the difference between a child and a woman who provides a sexual service for money, generally to men?

So whilst a bit like the writer I'm on the fence probably more so about the reasoning of parents to choose pole-dancing say over gymnastics, although more and more it is mainstream on dance shows here. I'm not buying the it's sexual full-stop.

Should it become an Olympic sport and wee girls are competing there is something seriously wrong with men who cannot tell the difference between children and titillation.

I also admire woman who make a living any way they can when the need arises and do not wish to 'box' them like this.

So yes breaking stereotypes. Maybe we should all look at that.

Look, we can argue this all day long, but at the end of the day, the purpose of pole dancing is sexual. It's not athletic. It takes athleticism and fitness, but there are plenty of other sports and activities that girls can do this in an age-appropriate manner. Why do they need to pole dance?

Maybe I'm wrong and it will be legitimized over time, but I still think encouraging little girls to do it is dumb and just encourages sexual connotations before they ever need to be exposed to them.

And FTR if I had a daughter I wouldn't allow her to wear fishnets or red lipstick because she's a CHILD and needs to look like a CHILD, not an adult. Same with a teen. When you're an adult and living on your own you can wear whatever you want, but clothes and makeup that look "Sexy" don't belong on kids or teens, period. They grow up too fast as it is, no need to speed it along.

Look, we can argue this all day long, but at the end of the day, the purpose of pole dancing is sexual. It's not athletic. It takes athleticism and fitness, but there are plenty of other sports and activities that girls can do this in an age-appropriate manner. Why do they need to pole dance?

Maybe I'm wrong and it will be legitimized over time, but I still think encouraging little girls to do it is dumb and just encourages sexual connotations before they ever need to be exposed to them.

And FTR if I had a daughter I wouldn't allow her to wear fishnets or red lipstick because she's a CHILD and needs to look like a CHILD, not an adult. Same with a teen. When you're an adult and living on your own you can wear whatever you want, but clothes and makeup that look "Sexy" don't belong on kids or teens, period. They grow up too fast as it is, no need to speed it along.

Well here fishnets and red lipstick with puffy skirts are a cute teenage gothy look. So because some might term those items as 'sexual' and men can't control their baser urges every teenager should dress according to their standards and your stereotyping?

That is total and utter bullshit.

Hypothetically if in ten years time pole-dancing which is actually as others have said extremely difficult becomes 'OH .....pole-dancing. The thing that started out as a seedy sexy thing but is now a cool and fun way to keep fit.' It will be in no way down to attitudes like yours.

_r3rXmgrnCs

Wow. That woman is amazing. And there really isn't anything more sexy about that than gymnastics. My husband watched it and was all "Holy shit she is in good shape!" He said it didn't look stripperish at all to him.

It's an article from a blog by a UK ISP online lifestyle page. So not to sell anything.

Fishnet tights used to scream 'prostitute' if you wore them. Now, they are fashion accessory that all woman wear. Including teen girls who rock that look with DM's.

Red lipstick. The same.

Does that mean because they are associated with sex work we as parents should not let them wear them because people do not know the difference between a child and a woman who provides a sexual service for money, generally to men?

So whilst a bit like the writer I'm on the fence probably more so about the reasoning of parents to choose pole-dancing say over gymnastics, although more and more it is mainstream on dance shows here. I'm not buying the it's sexual full-stop.

Should it become an Olympic sport and wee girls are competing there is something seriously wrong with men who cannot tell the difference between children and titillation.

I also admire woman who make a living any way they can when the need arises and do not wish to 'box' them like this.

So yes breaking stereotypes. Maybe we should all look at that.

IMHO there is a big difference between a teen wearing fishnets and red lipstick, and a 4 year old wearing the same things in public.

Puberty exists for a reason. It denotes sexual maturity. In our current world younger and younger girls go through puberty, but a 10 year old who has gone through puberty is no where near intellectually or emotionally mature enough to engage in a sexual relationship.

To me, the pole dancing for little girls is giving a message to society that being sexually alluring, as a child, is a good thing.

To the pubescent girls it is giving the message that they are ready to be sexual, when in fact, we really don't want them to be.

If the moves are athletic and not sexual and it eventually becomes an Olympic sport for grown women down the road then sure maybe look at the appropriateness of classes for kids. But right now the primary connotation is sexual.....either professionally or in private. And that, to me, gives kids the wrong idea.

I am speaking from my own personal experience as someone whose peer group average age of first intercourse was about 13, which is just too young, for a variety of reasons.

I had a pair of fishnets in junior high that I wore with my baggy Dickies capri pants, nerdy t-shirts, giant studded belt, and Converse. It was a sort of punky/goth-lite look that was popular in my school at the time. I am 99% sure I didn't look at all "sexy" in this outfit.

As for pole dancing, the article or blog or whatever suggested it might become an Olympic sport, but in the meantime, I could see it as an alternative for kids who aren't interested in competitive team sports. I'm sure it varies by area, but where I live, it is almost impossible to participate in any kind of team sport beyond age 10 or so if you don't want to become an elite, super competitive player. Furthermore, since most people are not going to play any kind of team sport beyond high school, I think it's important to teach kids about ways to stay fit their whole lives. Is pole dancing the only option? Of course not. But I think it could be one option.

Archived