IGNORED

I can't believe I was that stupid......

Lady Grass Lake

We snark on a lot of topics and people, but I thought it might be fun to have a tell all and make some fun of ourselves. Everyone has a "what was I thinking" incident in their lives, I'll go first.

I was helping my brother and sister-in-law get ready for their daughter's high school graduation open house. My sister-in-law got a bright idea to move this antique refrigerator that was in the basement of their house, up to the garage where we were setting up the food buffet to make it more convenient for serving.

This was one of those huge old ones, with a single door and only a small freezer compartment in the top half and weighted a ton. This was a 40's house, narrow doorways, and the basement stairway was under the first to second floor stairs so there was a sloped ceiling at the top half, and the bottom half was open to the basement with a thin railing.

My brother, my 18 year old son, and I were pushing it up the stairs, keeping it upright until we got to the top. Once we hit the part with walls, we could no longer have someone on the sides, When we got to the sloped ceiling, we had to tip the fridge on it's side to slide it the rest of the way to the top. So here we are, all three of pushing from the bottom to keep it from sliding backwards, when the door flipped open. We then discovered that there was still food inside, as ketchup, mustard, and condiment jars started falling down at us. My brother screams up at his wife, asking her why she didn't clean the @#%#%^#$ing thing out - and she just looked at us and said "You didn't ask me to clean it out, why didn't you look inside first." Then my son starts laughing, which got me started, while my brother is turning red, and I half expected steam to come out of his ears like a cartoon character.

Pretty soon brother was laughing too, and here we are laughing so hard, it was hard to stand, let alone keep holding the fridge up, and all 3 of us were in real danger of having the stupid thing, which was still on it's side, start sliding backwards and knocking us all down the stairs and then getting crushed by the weight of the fridge when it landed on us. We sucked it up and managed to get it up on the main floor, but by now there was stuff leaking out on the carpeting, which has just been cleaned the day before and causing my sister-in-law to start screaming at all of us. Once we recovered, we all looked at each other and said "we could have been killed doing something that stupid." My sister-in-law never knew how close my brother was to strangling her.

So, your turn................................

I have pretty much Forrest Gumped my way through life. Too many stories to tell. I wouldn't know where to start, but I like the idea of this thread.

My boyfriend(now husband) lived in an apartment on the 4th floor. One day he invited me over and it just happened to be raining. Not a big deal since I lived directly around the corner. For whatever reason(I can't remember now) he didn't answer the buzzer. I was stuck outside for about 5 minutes when this guy around my age invited me to come through his first floor apartment to get upstairs to my boyfriends place. And then I walked right in. I wasn't even thinking until I had two feet in the apartment that this could be a very bad situation. I started walking quickly for the door(thank god the layout was similar to my boyfriends) and then ran for the elevator. It ended up being a nice guy but it could have been much worse.

There is a long list of dumb things I've done, but the stupidest and the most dangerous was....

Sneaking out to go party with friends. It was not the first time I'd done it, but it was the first time I'd done it alone. I was impatient to get going and left WAY too early. I called a friend to come get me from the gas station down the road. Two total strangers whom I'd never laid eyes on showed up, and I hopped in the car with them and drove away without a second thought. Proceeded to meet up with friends and party the entire night, ended up pairing up with a guy who must have been in his mid-20's. This guy was on acid, and I didn't know it. I got in the car with him to go to someone's house around 2am, and we ended up driving straight into a jack-knifed tractor trailer, in front of 4 cop cars, because...wait for it...HE DIDN'T SEE IT. He was so blotto he really didn't see it. If I hadn't screamed his name at the last second, we probably would have been decapitated.

When I got home and tried to get in my bedroom window at about 4:30 am, it was locked. Then the light came on and it flew open. My parents had known I was gone all...night...long. They'd called hospitals and the police (if the cops at the scene of the wreck had asked me my name, I'd have been busted). I've never been physically afraid of my dad, except that night. I really thought he was going to haul off and just deck me.

I was 15 years old when this event occurred.

My 15yo daughter bakes and cleans and goes to youth group and reads Tolkien's obscure books for fun. When I try to think of her doing what I did and how frantic I'd be...I can't even.

God have mercy on my soul, seriously. So freaking stupid.

My story is very shameful and I've never told anyone even my husband. I was 21 or 22 in the early 90's and out celebrating a new job and I got so incredibly drunk. And yes as an invincible youth, I drove home. It NEVER occurred to me not to drive. Back then, you didn't have MADD or at least it wasn't hammered in your head not to do it. (Not that common sense alone shouldn't have been enough.) I remember so clearly covering one eye as I drove on a major freeway in Dallas to keep from seeing double. The good news is I made it home without killing anyone. I'm so thankful for that and I'm thankful that kids get to hear everyday about some celebrity screwing up so they have the message reinforced.

When I was sixteen I was driving home by myself when one of my tires blew out. I didn't know how to change a flat, this was before cell phones, and I was out in the country with no homes to stop at and ask for help. Fortunately, it was daytime and I was only about 5 miles from our house so I felt pretty confident walking back to get help. But for some reason I decided that instead of walking alongside the edge of the highway, I should instead walk along the railroad tracks that ran parallel to the highway. Okay, but then I got about halfway across a bridge and realized that if a train came barreling along I would be creamed because I couldn't hop off until it passed.

I was such a freaking idiot.

Here is a story of me saying something really stupid and it wasn't even that long ago so I can't claim youth as an excuse. So a friend of my husband dropped by with his wife. I had never met her and I hate people dropping by anyway, but that is another rant. Anyway, my husband and his friend were in another room and I was trying to make small talk with the wife(and I'm really bad at that)and she was playing with her phone. She starts talking about the game she is playing and how her husband claims she is addicted to it because she never stops playing it. She was trying to earn coins so that she could buy something on the game. And then, I don't know why I said it, the moment it came out of my mouth I knew I shouldn't have said it, but I said

"Well at least you aren't spending real money. You could be a shopping addict. That would be way worse."

She got really quiet and said: "I have a shopping problem too."

And she wasn't joking.

And then it was really awkward and I couldn't think of anything else to say.

Here is a story of me saying something really stupid and it wasn't even that long ago so I can't claim youth as an excuse. So a friend of my husband dropped by with his wife. I had never met her and I hate people dropping by anyway, but that is another rant. Anyway, my husband and his friend were in another room and I was trying to make small talk with the wife(and I'm really bad at that)and she was playing with her phone. She starts talking about the game she is playing and how her husband claims she is addicted to it because she never stops playing it. She was trying to earn coins so that she could buy something on the game. And then, I don't know why I said it, the moment it came out of my mouth I knew I shouldn't have said it, but I said

"Well at least you aren't spending real money. You could be a shopping addict. That would be way worse."

She got really quiet and said: "I have a shopping problem too."

And she wasn't joking.

And then it was really awkward and I couldn't think of anything else to say.

Oy, I cringed for you. I too suck at small talk, especially one-on-one. I blame it on my isolated homeschooling years :embarrassed: That was an awkward exchange, but OTOH, she could have responded differently, too. One thing I have learned, is that if you've just met someone socially, you're supposed to keep things light and casual--but she dropped a bomb you weren't expecting, so don't be too hard on yourself.

I am so bad at small talk. Maybe it is from being isolated and homeschooled. I can't ever think of anything to say and usually end up embarrassing myself in some way. There needs to be someone who teaches socially awkward people how to survive in public without making a fool of themselves.

When I lived in my condo (alone, before marriage), it was really, really cold ALL the time. I turned the heat all the way up (or so I thought), and it was still freezing all the time. So I called someone to come and fix it.

He came and told me the heat was turned all the way DOWN, instead. I felt like such a moron. :embarrassed: I seriously never saw a thermostat that went that way, though.

When I was 19 or so I was driving through the worst part of downtown when my car suddenly broke down in the middle of an intersection. Some guys helped me push it through the intersection but then drove off. So I am standing next to my car, being harrassed by the people on the streets, when some guy rolled up and asked me to get in. I was so relieved to be rescued (a womam was shouting slurs at me) that I didn't even question his motives. I had one foot in the car before I realized I was on prostitute row and I wasn't even sure this guy knew that I was stranded (he might have thought I was a prostitute, and in any event, getting in some random guy's car is never a good idea, especially as many many women have gone missing from that same street). I am so glad I came to my senses. I had to walk several blocks to a gas station to call for help (in the days before everyone had cell phones).

When I was 18, I was at a club with some friends and wanted to leave before them, so I called a cab. I was outside waiting for the cab, and this guy came out and started talking to me, and offered me a ride back to the barracks, since he was headed back on base too. I got in the car with him without a second thought, and without telling my friends. At the time I was thinking, "Hey, he's in the military too, he's one of the good guys ( and of course they're not all good guys)". Looking back, that's not even the scariest part. During the ride home, he mentioned he was getting out of the military in a few days and was going back home--to Jamaica! He could have killed me, dumped my body, and left the country before anyone figured out what happened to me. Lucky for me he was actually a nice guy, but I still can't believe I got on the car with him.

Archived