IGNORED

Burden to Burundi, Zealous for Zambia

Palimpsest

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've done domestic mission trips before.... Florida and southern Texas.... Best. Mission trips. Ever.

Even if I didn't manage to sneak away to sea world :(

My kids did a week long "mission" trip in Florida last summer and they'll be doing it again this summer because they loved it so much. They spent the week sleeping and eating at their usual diocesan church camp that happens to be in the middle of a rather impoverished rural area. They worked their butts off all week in mobile food pantries, cleaning up some community centers and parks, and doing lot of unskilled hard labor that the people who worked at these non-profits couldn't spare the time to do because they were concentrating on serving their clients.

They had a blast and more importantly their eyes were opened to the amount of poverty and need that exists in their own area. We paid for their expenses - no "fundraising" required, and they didn't even need passports. Shocking! :o

My kids did a week long "mission" trip in Florida last summer and they'll be doing it again this summer because they loved it so much. They spent the week sleeping and eating at their usual diocesan church camp that happens to be in the middle of a rather impoverished rural area. They worked their butts off all week in mobile food pantries, cleaning up some community centers and parks, and doing lot of unskilled hard labor that the people who worked at these non-profits couldn't spare the time to do because they were concentrating on serving their clients.

They had a blast and more importantly their eyes were opened to the amount of poverty and need that exists in their own area. We paid for their expenses - no "fundraising" required, and they didn't even need passports. Shocking! :o

Mine did that,too.They painted some houses for some older folks who really needed it done.This was in Ga in the heat of the summer,too.They've also worked in the soup kitchen here,and the Children's Home.

One need not go to another country to do mission work.

The Appalachian mtns also have some very poor ppl who need a lot of help as well.

Yup, remember this is the guy who posted that he "expected" to loose one or two (kids)...

What was the context of this, please? I don't read his FB. Just what is posted about him here.

I'm just a heathen (recovering) Catholic, so I don't understand some of these words in the context they are being used maybe, but exactly how does one "give evidence" (in my world that means prove) some of this stuff?

Like how do you prove you were Called to Missions. Isn't a call from God a personal thing? It's not like he sends you an email that you can print out and take to the mission board.

Same with being a Soul Winner and Spiritual Maturity. These aren't necessarily quantifiable statistics that you can bring tangible proof of to someone are they?

Your walk with God is supposed to be a personal thing, isn't it? Or I was doing it wrong when I was a practicing (heathen) Catholic perhaps?

What was the context of this, please? I don't read his FB. Just what is posted about him here.

There was a big discussion abt it here. It might have been on this thread.

Hopefully this is a small enough plane that only a few family members can fly together at one time.

They put clown car numbers of people in a pop up camper. what makes you think that occupancy limits of a plane mean anything to someone that thinks they have the LORD on their side? :(

It was in the birthday video for two of his kids, the one where he forgot one of the kid's name and he managed to make the entire video about himself. But he ended it with how, Lord willing, they would get another birthday but there were tons of stuff that could kill them in Zambia, so you never know.

Something else is wrong here. Per Meeka: "Tomorrow is his flying test that will cost $850. He wants prayers because we wants to pass it the first time as he has already spent $8000 on his training. Imagine how much real help that could do to a village in Zambia!" Was that a typo, Meeka?

Didn't he claim to be getting the tuition free from some retired missionary pilot? It was sent by God. If you take off tuition, that brings Gustava's total down to a mere $4,400. Where is he pissing away other peoples' money? Extra flight time because he is not very good?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had to retake a couple of tests. John says he is not academic. However, I'm getting the impression that he might not have been, um, exactly honest about his tests and the cost of his training -- but doesn't expect people to question him!

I do remember something about free tuition. I think John is not being honest and will promptly block anyone who dares to question him on FB about this, even if they have been a supporter in the past.

They put clown car numbers of people in a pop up camper. what makes you think that occupancy limits of a plane mean anything to someone that thinks they have the LORD on their side? :(

So true! This whole thing gives me a very bad feeling and I mean that sincerely. Totally inexperienced pilot going to a third world country where plane maintenance can be iffy and who knows how aviation fuel is stored and he will then be a newbie bush pilot. Plus, some people are just not cut out to be pilots. My brother has taught flying and when I think back to some of his students, it came to a point where even the student realized it wasn't meant to be.

It is one thing to make bad decisions against all common sense and know that you will be the only one to suffer the consequences directly, but when I think about others who might go down with him...

I keep thinking about the old Saturday Night Live Bad Idea Jeans skits. This fits right in.

re: domestic missions

Although I'm not a practicing Christian, I applaud those who go on mission trips with a focus on being of service to the community, in line with Jesus' teachings about helping the poor and less fortunate in a tangible way.

Maybe he's including the price of the bucket of bolts/plane.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But no. The second hand bucket of bolts plane still rotting on Zambian tarmac cost 15K. Paid in full over a year ago when God miraculously provided a donor there and then. I don't know where Shrader finds these people!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But no. The second hand bucket of bolts plane still rotting on Zambian tarmac cost 15K. Paid in full over a year ago when God miraculously provided a donor there and then. I don't know where Shrader finds these people!

Where do these people come from?! I can't even get a damn accordion.

It was in the birthday video for two of his kids, the one where he forgot one of the kid's name and he managed to make the entire video about himself. But he ended it with how, Lord willing, they would get another birthday but there were tons of stuff that could kill them in Zambia, so you never know.

The link is on pg 12 of this thread, I think. This might work:

c6_4oaY-wys

The link is on pg 12 of this thread, I think. This might work:

c6_4oaY-wys

Thanks. I kind of wish I hadn't asked now :( That one that just turned 7 seems awfully small doesn't he?

It seem that, whatever the second portion of his pilot's licensing was, he has passed it also :|

Nooooooooooo

Please please please let something else come up that prevents him from going, or at least prevents Esther and the kids from going. John can risk his life, I don't care, but no dream is worth potentially having your kid become seriously ill or die.

Nooooooooooo

Please please please let something else come up that prevents him from going, or at least prevents Esther and the kids from going. John can risk his life, I don't care, but no dream is worth potentially having your kid become seriously ill or die.

I still don't believe any of them will be leaving permanently for Zambia next month. This Visa issue that he hasn't spoken much about lately has got to be a way bigger obstacle than obtaining a pilot's license. After all, he doesn't have to be a pilot to start his missionary "work".

As far as flying around the Zambian bush, I can only hope that his plane is in even worse shape than we are anticipating. Like, so bad it won't even start, and he won't have the skills/equipment/parts/money to fix it.

I fully expect him to drag his family to Zambia this summer as planned. I also fully expect to hear sometime in the next 3 years the "sad news" that he crashed his plane, killing himself and his older boys. It WILL happen.

I suspect that things will pull through and he will make it to Zambia with the whole family. People like him always end up getting what they want. But after they reach Zambia I am 100% sure things are going to go bad fast.

It seem that, whatever the second portion of his pilot's licensing was, he has passed it also :|

Proof that there is no god, right here.

I suspect that things will pull through and he will make it to Zambia with the whole family. People like him always end up getting what they want. But after they reach Zambia I am 100% sure things are going to go bad fast.

I agree. He will get there and the kids will be dragged along. I'm just wondering how fast things are going to go bad.

For the sake of the children, I hope they can be kept safer than some of the other IFB "Missionary" kids before John loses his latest enthusiastic kick and comes home.

As a reminder, Shrader does seem to have a vague link with Bobby Bonner's IAM Ministries. I think IAM is pretty damn Mickey Mouse, and Bonner has retired, but perhaps there are a few saner minds still there to guide John. It is weird though. IAM is at Kafulafuto, and John changed his mind a few months ago and declared that God directed him to Kafue. Less remote that Kafulafuto, but I wonder what happened with IAM to cause the change there ...

And, dang. I certainly hope that bloody plane never makes it off the ground. Dollars to doughnuts, inexperienced pilot John is going to kill himself in it. The only question is how many others he is going to kill with him.

I do hope the kids will be OK. :cry:

Nothing against those poor children, who didn't ask to be sired by this tool. I hope that douche doesn't want to be a missionary in an area with cannibals, though. Smuggar would feed a tribe of cannibals for far longer than John Schrader.

Nothing against those poor children, who didn't ask to be sired by this tool. I hope that douche doesn't want to be a missionary in an area with cannibals, though. Smuggar would feed a tribe of cannibals for far longer than John Schrader.

:?

I'm just a heathen (recovering) Catholic, so I don't understand some of these words in the context they are being used maybe, but exactly how does one "give evidence" (in my world that means prove) some of this stuff?

Like how do you prove you were Called to Missions. Isn't a call from God a personal thing? It's not like he sends you an email that you can print out and take to the mission board.

Same with being a Soul Winner and Spiritual Maturity. These aren't necessarily quantifiable statistics that you can bring tangible proof of to someone are they?

Your walk with God is supposed to be a personal thing, isn't it? Or I was doing it wrong when I was a practicing (heathen) Catholic perhaps?

Usually it requires a long, humble-bragging testimony, similar to what they put in their video to show to prospective partner churches. In addition, the "soul winner" and "spiritual maturity" thing sometimes requires a letter or video from your pastor/former pastor/Bible college teachers if you did that, etc. Basically a character reference. Frankly I always got the impression that it was all a bunch of posturing, and as long as you talked the right talk they would take your word for it.

How's John coming along with those visas? At work my boss who has over 30 years experience as a travel agent is working on visas for a nun who is going to Zambia and Nigeria and it is a challenge for her. Imagine how it will be for John.

Archived