IGNORED

Burden to Burundi, Zealous for Zambia

Palimpsest

If either Esther or one of the kids dies (I hope not), I wonder how TLC will spin it. :think:

They won't have to spin it much. Just sister/niece/nephew was on a mission trip to Zambia and was called to Jebus. They won't present the backstory as we know it. Just minimal info, like they do with everything else.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They won't have to spin it much. Just sister/niece/nephew was on a mission trip to Zambia and was called to Jebus. They won't present the backstory as we know it. Just minimal info, like they do with everything else.

They probably won't say anything about it. I don't think they would need to. The Shraders have never been on the show, and Anna probably doesn't see them that much even in the States. Right now they are way too distracted with Jill's wedding, and for the average viewer, if it didn't happen on camera, it didn't happen period.

I don't think it'd ever be mentioned on TLC. The Duggars never talk about Esther and I've never heard her mentioned on the show, seen her on their IG feed, etc. Even the Wallers don't really mention them in their blog. They just did a lengthy post about family and seeing family, etc. and I didn't see one mention of them at all. I know they're on the other side of the country but something makes me think that maybe most of the Kellers think they're a bit crazy, too.

Also does anyone else find it strange they chose to leave on 6/6? I mean I know it's not 6/6/6 but still.

I don't think it'd ever be mentioned on TLC. The Duggars never talk about Esther and I've never heard her mentioned on the show, seen her on their IG feed, etc. Even the Wallers don't really mention them in their blog. They just did a lengthy post about family and seeing family, etc. and I didn't see one mention of them at all. I know they're on the other side of the country but something makes me think that maybe most of the Kellers think they're a bit crazy, too.

Also does anyone else find it strange they chose to leave on 6/6? I mean I know it's not 6/6/6 but still.

Esther was very briefly shown on the show in the episode where Mackynzie is born. Josh and Anna go to pick up her mother and sisters at the airport before her baby shower. She was probably in Josh and Anna's wedding episode too but I don't remember her there.

Esther was very briefly shown on the show in the episode where Mackynzie is born. Josh and Anna go to pick up her mother and sisters at the airport before her baby shower. She was probably in Josh and Anna's wedding episode too but I don't remember her there.

I think she was in the Pecan Thieve's wedding.

Yes I think she was also in Josh and Anna's wedding? I know she was at the shower for Anna,when she was pregnant with Mackynzie.She and a couple of her little girls showed up,along with the rest of Anna's family.

He doesn't have enough suitcases. His solution is to overfill the ones he has and seal them shut with zip ties :?

Because nothing says "TSA, please search my luggage!" like deliberately making it hard to get into while preparing to board an international flight.

He doesn't have enough suitcases. His solution is to overfill the ones he has and seal them shut with zip ties :?

Because nothing says "TSA, please search my luggage!" like deliberately making it hard to get into while preparing to board an international flight.

Not to mention paying all those fees for your luggage being too heavy. I wish I could be a fly on the wall at the airport check in. :lol:

Weight is very important when flying overseas. I've seen some airlines with a 50#per bag limit. When we were flying between islands in Tahiti, there was a 35#limit per bag.

With all the crap he's bought, what's another $100 or so for a couple of suitcases. TJ Max always has good prices.

I hope he knows to take at least 3 outfits per person in their carry ons in case their luggage gets lost.

So, they are actually flying today. Any words on the VISA's??!!??

If they are flying commercial, how is john getting his Plane to Zambia?

The plane is already there. It belonged to a previous missionary.

Or at least this is what he's been told. I still don't think he's actually seen the plane in person.

Oh, and I forgot another piece from his announcement about the bags. Some commenter told him that he was already thinking like an African (whatever that is supposed to mean in this context). John responded that he often told people he was black on the inside, he just got the "wrong paint job" :shock:

Weight is very important when flying overseas. I've seen some airlines with a 50#per bag limit. When we were flying between islands in Tahiti, there was a 35#limit per bag.

With all the crap he's bought, what's another $100 or so for a couple of suitcases. TJ Max always has good prices.

I hope he knows to take at least 3 outfits per person in their carry ons in case their luggage gets lost.

So, they are actually flying today. Any words on the VISA's??!!??

That was my thought... buy a couple of cheap suitcases, view them as "Bics" and donate them or use them for storage when you arrive. I've popped into TGMaxx or Ross while trips to buy suitcases for return trips rather than have over weight fees. (I fly SOuthwest, so I get 2 free checked bags, unless they are over 50 lbs. )

We fly international a lot and it would have been cheaper to buy new bags and pay for extra baggage the what he is stupidly doing. My main airline charges $75 to go over the weight per bag. Occasionally they will work with you, but not always and not when you have that many over weight bags. Besides with that many kids, I would think he could spread the suitcases over the group with out paying for extra bags. We once saw a family in front of us moving internationally and they admitted they weighed, double checked and organized everything as tight as they could because they were so afraid, they would get there and be charged huge fees for all the baggage they had.

Love the extra stupidity mixed with racism, just lovely in a missionary :angry-banghead:

They may also be concerned with actually moving/carrying the bags. With that many paid seats, they should be entitled to at least 18 checked bags plus carryons, but all the kids are under 12. It's not like they could carry that much, plus Esther is six months pregnant and will probably have to carry Sophia most of the time.

They may also be concerned with actually moving/carrying the bags. With that many paid seats, they should be entitled to at least 18 checked bags plus carryons, but all the kids are under 12. It's not like they could carry that much, plus Esther is six months pregnant and will probably have to carry Sophia most of the time.

Sure. But what are they going to do when security cuts open their zip ties to search their bags? TSA isn't going to re-stuff their bags for them and apply new zip ties. If they think it's hard to move luggage with that many people, imagine what it's going to be like carrying garbage bags of their clothes all the way to Zambia. This is just beyond stupid. It displays a real lack of foresight, which unfortunately is par for the course for John.

So wait. It's okay for John to say that he's "black on the inside and born the wrong color," but it's not okay for someone to say that they're "female on the inside, but born the wrong gender." Ungodly that would be. Uh-huh. Okay. :roll:

Sure. But what are they going to do when security cuts open their zip ties to search their bags? TSA isn't going to re-stuff their bags for them and apply new zip ties. If they think it's hard to move luggage with that many people, imagine what it's going to be like carrying garbage bags of their clothes all the way to Zambia. This is just beyond stupid. It displays a real lack of foresight, which unfortunately is par for the course for John.

Oh, he thinks they will. He put a note and some extra zipties in the bags :lol:

Damn, that's some next level special snowflake-ness! The next time I fly, I'm bringing my own coffee and my French press and handing it to the flight attendant. I'm sure she'll get right on that.

Are you kidding me? Really? REALLY??? He really thinks that? He hasn't had many dealings with the TSA, has he? Even checking your normal bag the TSA isn't very careful and they kind of just slide it over to you to close up. I can't see them putting forth a whole lot of effort there. John prob thinks he's such a super speshal Godly snowflake that of course the TSA will help him out. He's on a mission from God!

(Of course, in retrospect, I don't know why John wouldn't think like that. He seems to get every wish and desire fulfilled, regardless how absurd it is.)

If I was TSA and I saw the zip ties, I would probably make extra special care to search them thoroughly, especially since the family is on a one way international flight.

If I was TSA and I saw the zip ties, I would probably make extra special care to search them thoroughly, especially since the family is on a one way international flight.

Right?!? A family dragging 8 children to Africa on a one-way flight is weird, and deserves a little scrutiny.

Have they departed yet?

Confession: Even on international flights, I use zip ties rather than locks on my baggage. I figure with fabric sided bags, a lock is silly....and TSA will bust it if they want to get into a bag and can't open the lock.

Confession: Even on international flights, I use zip ties rather than locks on my baggage. I figure with fabric sided bags, a lock is silly....and TSA will bust it if they want to get into a bag and can't open the lock.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but I could understand zip ties instead of a lock, just to hold the zippers together. He has literally secured the top of the suitcase to the bottom with about a dozen zip ties per bag. He must have cut through the fabric around the zipper to get them on. And he's now "laminated" prayer cards (the one with the family picture on them) to use as luggage tags.

Archived