IGNORED

Bates family at "In God We Trust" unveiling

MrsYoungie

in my experience, then they start asking a lot of questions about Judaism.

My friends had similar experiences--Jewish in SC and Unitarian in Cincinnati (culturally very southern) trying to get the constant Jesus-pushing at work stopped. Then they just wanted to constantly argue with her about why their religions were wrong. They aren't interested in what you think; they just want to shove their BS down your throat any way you can.

In Michigan (in the Detroit area, at least) most of the doctors are from India or the Middle East. Those who insist on a Christian doctor (especially a lily white Christian doctor) are going to have a tough time.

Hell, even in the upstate of SC, quite a few of our docs are from India, Africa, the Middle East or (horror of horrors) they are Latino. The hospital I work at has exactly 3 (out of 18) hospitalist who are lily white. And two of them are assholes! The nurses (and patients) really prefer the two docs from Puerto Rico, the other dozen or so who are from across the pond! And I work in the beating heart of the redneck bible belt!

I just started practicing in TN and it is amazing how many patients find a way to figure out whether I am a "good Christian doctor." Coming fom the Midwest it would be considered extremely rude to ask a complete stranger if they have "found good Christian friends yet" or if I am "looking for a church home." I honestly have not figured out how I want to reply. (I am atheist BTW)

I'm from an area in rural Indiana, very conservative and Christian, and the doctor I had there from the time I was about 14 years old refused to prescribe me birth control when I was 18 because I was unmarried. He told me that I needed to read the Bible. I wish there were more atheist doctors, or at least doctors who didn't impose their beliefs on their patients. (I went to a doctor farther away who was willing to prescribe birth control to unmarried women and never went to my former doctor again.)

I'm from an area in rural Indiana, very conservative and Christian, and the doctor I had there from the time I was about 14 years old refused to prescribe me birth control when I was 18 because I was unmarried. He told me that I needed to read the Bible. I wish there were more atheist doctors, or at least doctors who didn't impose their beliefs on their patients. (I went to a doctor farther away who was willing to prescribe birth control to unmarried women and never went to my former doctor again.)

Can doctors who do that be reported to the medical board? I've heard there are pharmacists who do this too.

If you have to announce that you are christian Then you are doing something wrong. If it does not show in your actions then it is not much of a faith.

Can doctors who do that be reported to the medical board? I've heard there are pharmacists who do this too.

I would report him if it was something you can do and wasn't outside the statute of limitations, but I'm not sure if he's even practicing anymore. He was probably pretty close to retiring age then, and that was almost 11 years ago. I'm also drawing a blank as to his name.

I've never had a problem with a pharmacist before fortunately.

I think it depends on the state. Some states protect pharmacists' rights to refuse to fill BC. I don't know about doctors but I'm sure there are equivalent laws in some states :angry-banghead:

I never feel so thankful for my wonderfully blunt and liberal gynecologist as I do reading FJ! So sorry to everyone who has had this type of experience :cry: It is so wrong to me and always just comes off as a power trip thing.

I just started practicing in TN and it is amazing how many patients find a way to figure out whether I am a "good Christian doctor." Coming fom the Midwest it would be considered extremely rude to ask a complete stranger if they have "found good Christian friends yet" or if I am "looking for a church home." I honestly have not figured out how I want to reply. (I am atheist BTW)

I didn't realize midwesterners also found that offensive--thought it was just a coastal thing. When I moved to Cincinnati (part midwest, more southern in culture) I was just stunned by how often I was asked what my religion was--I lived in the same Jersey town for 25 years and have good friends that I have no idea what their religion is--unless someone wears distinctive clothing or for some reason it comes up, you simply don't know.

Then I moved to NC and the first thing my new boss told me was I could find a church home in his church. He then introduced me to an artist friend he thought I would like and the first thing she said to me was "you should come to XXX church."

Jeesh. Aside from weddings and funerals, I hadn't been at Mass since I was 13, but I never felt as Catholic as I did around these people.

Suggestion: just reply with something noncommital like "we're still getting settled." Don't allow anything to get into a discussion of religion. No good will come of it.

I didn't realize midwesterners also found that offensive--thought it was just a coastal thing. When I moved to Cincinnati (part midwest, more southern in culture) I was just stunned by how often I was asked what my religion was--I lived in the same Jersey town for 25 years and have good friends that I have no idea what their religion is--unless someone wears distinctive clothing or for some reason it comes up, you simply don't know.

I'm from the northern midwest, and I would say it's considered somewhat intrusive here. At least among the Scandinavian Lutherans. Generally, many of us are raised to be quite modest, humble and private. Being any kind of show-off is definitely frowned upon. (And I consider the overt FUCK YEAH CHRISTIANS!!! stuff very showy.) But then I'm also from a really small town, where everyone already knows each other's business. Hah. No need to ask directly.

No matter what your actual background, you could always answer the pushy questioners by widening your eyes and saying very kindly and modestly, "Oh, my. I was raised to keep such subjects private." A polite Southerner would be forced to drop the subject. :D

Hell, even in the upstate of SC, quite a few of our docs are from India, Africa, the Middle East or (horror of horrors) they are Latino. The hospital I work at has exactly 3 (out of 18) hospitalist who are lily white. And two of them are assholes! The nurses (and patients) really prefer the two docs from Puerto Rico, the other dozen or so who are from across the pond! And I work in the beating heart of the redneck bible belt!

My dentist in Greer is of Indian extraction and the family practice resident we took our firstborn to was from India. My doctor at Roger C Peace (the physical rehab hospital) was Russian and one of our favorite nurses was from China. This nurse was one of the few that could work with my roommate who was rather a PITA. I suppose I should have been more sympathetic to her as she was in a lot of pain and she was worried about her house and things.

Archived