IGNORED

Bates family at "In God We Trust" unveiling

MrsYoungie

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/dav ... e-courthou

at 1:23 you can see (and hear if you don't mute it) the whole fan-damily caterwauliing "This Land is Your Land" at the unveiling of the "In God We Trust" sign on a Tennessee courthouse.

The irony of this inclusive left-wing song being sung at this occasion is obviously lost on all concerned.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/pastor-god-we-trust-signs-tennessee-courthou

at 1:23 you can see (and hear if you don't mute it) the whole fan-damily caterwauliing "This Land is Your Land" at the unveiling of the "In God We Trust" sign on a Tennessee courthouse.

The irony of this inclusive left-wing song being sung at this occasion is obviously lost on all concerned.

It's too bad that most times the song is sung only the first verse and chorus are done. I think it would be hard to dismiss the leftward tendencies of the latter verses unless you are incredibly dense.

I love what Woody said about his guitar: The machine kills fascists.

Very ironic. Especially since they only believe this land is their land and only theirs.

I did a Wiki search and discovered some trivia about Woody Guthrie and the song that I didn't know. It was written as a counter song to "God Bless America" which he hated.

I just moved from a town about an hour and a half from Bates-land.

The courthouse there also has "IN GOD WE TRUST" in flashy gold letters stuck to the outer wall.

My ex-roommate was so proud when he told me, "MY church paid for that and fought to have it put up!"

I couldn't help but question, "Are there no better things your church could have done with that money? Really?"

Ah, life in the buckle of the bible belt.

Very ironic. Especially since they only believe this land is their land and only theirs.

I'm surprised they didn't sing the parody version I learned on the playground:

This land is my land, this land's not your land

I got a shotgun, and you don't have one

If you don't get off, I'll blow your head off

This land was made for only me!

I just started practicing in TN and it is amazing how many patients find a way to figure out whether I am a "good Christian doctor." Coming fom the Midwest it would be considered extremely rude to ask a complete stranger if they have "found good Christian friends yet" or if I am "looking for a church home." I honestly have not figured out how I want to reply. (I am atheist BTW)

I just started practicing in TN and it is amazing how many patients find a way to figure out whether I am a "good Christian doctor." Coming fom the Midwest it would be considered extremely rude to ask a complete stranger if they have "found good Christian friends yet" or if I am "looking for a church home." I honestly have not figured out how I want to reply. (I am atheist BTW)

I agree it's rude. I guess just keep your answers as vague as possible and change the subject as quick as you can.

Search online to find the nearest megachurch--the kind that has tens of thousands of parishioners and 20 different services every weekend. If any of your patients ask you where you go to church, say that you go to that megachurch. That way, they won't be suspicious if they never run into you there. (I got this from an episode of the Freakonomics podcast where they were talking to an atheist who moves around to Southern cities for his job.)

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/pastor-god-we-trust-signs-tennessee-courthou

Woody Guthrie is spinning in his grave.

This land is your land This land is my land

From California to the New York island;

From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters

This land was made for you and Me.

As I was walking that ribbon of highway,

I saw above me that endless skyway:

I saw below me that golden valley:

This land was made for you and me.

I've roamed and rambled and I followed my footsteps

To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts;

And all around me a voice was sounding:

When the sun came shining, and I was strolling,

And the wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling,

As the fog was lifting a voice was chanting:

As I went walking I saw a sign there

And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."

But on the other side it didn't say nothing,

That side was made for you and me.

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,

By the relief office I seen my people;

As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking

Is this land made for you and me?

Nobody living can ever stop me,

As I go walking that freedom highway;

Nobody living can ever make me turn back

Twenty years ago or so, I was talking to a retired La Leche League Leader after a meeting. She was there with her daughter who had twins and also managed to sew nursing tops in her "spare" time. Anyway I mentioned to Sue that I really didn't care if a doctor was a Christian or not. (I don't know if someone had mentioned Xtian doctors during or after the meeting.) She was originally from Michigan and told me that was a real Yankee attitude. I felt like she paid me a real compliment.

On the other hand, recently I met some new neighbors who had just moved here from Orlando. I knew the neighbor I walked dogs with was not religious, but these new neighbors were not religious at all either! That was so nice to hear.

Oh, the irony... "This Land is YOUR* land"

*if you're christian

* and white

* and straight

*otherwise gtfo

make a sign (I can do it for free) that says "don't ask me about my religion and I won't ask you if you have sex with your dog" that should shut them up fast (G)

make a sign (I can do it for free) that says "don't ask me about my religion and I won't ask you if you have sex with your dog" that should shut them up fast (G)

:banana-rock:

I joined a company in RTP, NC after graduate school. They assigned a realtor to me to help us find a house. In our first meeting she made sure I knew that she was a Christian, and then every time I saw her thereafter.

We never did buy a house. 6 months later we were outta there. My husband had grown up in the South, just 2 hours from Raleigh, and even he couldn't stand it.

We've been much happier in Colorado, as long as we stay as clear of Colorado Springs as possible.

Twenty years ago or so, I was talking to a retired La Leche League Leader after a meeting. She was there with her daughter who had twins and also managed to sew nursing tops in her "spare" time. Anyway I mentioned to Sue that I really didn't care if a doctor was a Christian or not. (I don't know if someone had mentioned Xtian doctors during or after the meeting.) She was originally from Michigan and told me that was a real Yankee attitude. I felt like she paid me a real compliment.

In Michigan (in the Detroit area, at least) most of the doctors are from India or the Middle East. Those who insist on a Christian doctor (especially a lily white Christian doctor) are going to have a tough time.

My dr. for 20 years was Jewish. Have no idea about my current dr. except she's Korean. The dr. I was assigned first was Christian, but was not doing a very good job so I switched.

I think it says "In God We Trust" on our county courthouse. It's also on the wall of my town's council chambers. Whrn it was put up there was no big unveiling or fanfare. BTW...I live in so cal, very far from the Bible Belt.

I thought of several lies including saying I am Jewish or I am still church shopping, but I can't go through with them because it is unprofessional to lie and I shouldn't have to in the first place.

You'd be surprised about the things people openly tell their doctor, unsolicited and unrelated to internal medicine. Of course I would never share, but I guess I was just raised to be much more private about certain things, doctor or not.

"I was raised..." works for me as a truthful statement as people usually assume you still are. Of course, this is assuming your parents were nominally Christian.

I joined a company in RTP, NC after graduate school. They assigned a realtor to me to help us find a house. In our first meeting she made sure I knew that she was a Christian, and then every time I saw her thereafter.

We never did buy a house. 6 months later we were outta there. My husband had grown up in the South, just 2 hours from Raleigh, and even he couldn't stand it.

We've been much happier in Colorado, as long as we stay as clear of Colorado Springs as possible.

Mr. nokidsmom and I have been discussing where to move upon retirement though not sure we will last that long (live in IL now). Colorado is on our short list of places to go though we aren't coming anywhere near Colorado Springs.

The south is pretty much out for us, based on the whole "are you a Christian" overkill. I realize that it's the mostly the culture but honestly I find it offensive to be asked by total strangers about my religion, where I go to church, etc. as well as them going on about how they are a Christian, blah, blah, blah. I realize that there can be areas where this is less prevalent, but overall I don't want to deal with it.

Was asked about whether I went to church by an overzealous coworker, outside of the workplace. Realized I was about to get the "got Jebus?" talk if I told the truth so did fib about going to the local church down the street. I knew enough about him so knew he didn't go there.

That is the exact kind of behavior that would have gotten her rear end fired if she was my realtor. I'm sorry, but my religious beliefs or lack thereof are nobody's business.

That is the exact kind of behavior that would have gotten her rear end fired if she was my realtor. I'm sorry, but my religious beliefs or lack thereof are nobody's business.

Totally agree. I wouldn't want to deal with a realtor who did this but concede it could be tough to find a realtor who won't do the "I'm a Christian" thing in an area where it's generally accepted locally.

Saying you are Jewish might make it even worse--it's like declaring you are "fresh meat."

in my experience, then they start asking a lot of questions about Judaism.

Archived