IGNORED

The way the Duggars eat

homeschoolmomma1

Type II Diabetes runs on both sides of my family and my husbands mothers side.

I try to make my family get out and move and eat healthy (as much as we can)

I was looking at the way the Duggars eat and then looking at Josh and Jim Bob. Couldn't the whole family make some changes- at least for the kids?

I mean the Chicken ette What about whole grain noodles?

Is that not in their budget?

I know they may not have Type 2 Diabetes (I don't know their family history) but with that many kids may be they should be concerned about what they put in their kids mouth.

Sorry I just had to vent after looking at the growing Josh

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least the crap they eat will only hurt them but it bothers me quite a bit when I see them eating on paper/plastic plates - what a lot of waste especially since i remember on one show they said they had an industrial dishwasher (and of course they have the J slaves).

Yeah, it never really made sense why they use paper plates when they have an industrial dishwasher. I've used one of those and you can clean and sanitize all the duggar dishes in less time it takes the load a tradition at home dishwasher...

Wow I never noticed in the Chicken etti meal that they used canned tomatos That can be bought fresh and diced hmmm

I was looking at the Chicken etti recipe on a Duggar site, and these Duggarites left comments saying how delicious the recipe sounded etc. Gag :puke-huge: It just sounds awful.

I wouldn't eat chickenetti if you paid me (maybe if it were around the million dollar figure). I'm not a big chicken fan anyway so that dish would not appeal to me at all. The tater tot casserole looks like it may be good for a rare once a year meal.

Things that bother me about the Duggar's eating habits and kitchenware:

-Eating vegetables out of a can doesn't mean you're being healthy. Preservatives and high salt content is used in those cans to prevent them from rotting so to watch Jim Bob eat tomatoes out of a can when he started his diet (Weight loss episode) really irked me. They can easily buy fresh fruits and vegetables for a cheaper price and be healthy about it.

-Most of their "favorite dishes" contain so much preservatives and high salt content, it's disgusting. Out of boredomness last semester, my roommate and I decided to make a very small batch of their taco soup and had to chuck it. It would have been better to lick a salt block than take a few more bites of that crap.

-I know that they have "salads" but all I really see in those salads is just lettuce. You know, you can add shredded carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, etc etc whatever else to it and not just lettuce. By the way, using canned stuff doesn't count. Plus, I noticed that they have bottles of ranch dressing which is extremely high in calories and fat. If you're trying to be healthy, a simple vinaigrette is better. If you don't like them, then use a small amount of ranch to just coat the salad. You still want to be able to taste the salad itself and not ranch. Now, I don't know how much dressing they use, but I've seen one of my roommates completely attack her salad with ranch and claim she's "eating healthy."

-When Anna made that claim how her baby uses cloth diapers so it's okay to drive a hummer irked the hell out of me. Ok, but you and your in laws use paper plates and cups like they grow on trees. I get that the Duggars have a lot of mouths to feed but Josh and Anna have no excuse to use paper plates to chop up vegetables, fruits, etc. You people have a dishwasher, use it once in a while! It's not that difficult to buy real dishwares and use them. If they're trying to cut costs of their water and electricity bills, well you guys are doing a fine and dandy job protecting the environment by using a shit load of paper plates, cups, and utensils. Applaud for idiots :clap:

One of the things that bothers me greatly is the presence of that styrofoam cup dispenser that's built into the wall! I just can't comprehend the mind that thinks that (and all the other disposables) is okay. But maybe they're buying used and saving the difference. Yeah, that's it...

They use paper plates so instead of loading dishes into the industrial washer, the four girls can save more time raising babies, cooking, and cleaning.

Michelle and JB are considerate like that.

-Eating vegetables out of a can doesn't mean you're being healthy. Preservatives and high salt content is used in those cans to prevent them from rotting so to watch Jim Bob eat tomatoes out of a can when he started his diet (Weight loss episode) really irked me. They can easily buy fresh fruits and vegetables for a cheaper price and be healthy about it.

-Most of their "favorite dishes" contain so much preservatives and high salt content, it's disgusting. Out of boredomness last semester, my roommate and I decided to make a very small batch of their taco soup and had to chuck it. It would have been better to lick a salt block than take a few more bites of that crap.

-I know that they have "salads" but all I really see in those salads is just lettuce. You know, you can add shredded carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, etc etc whatever else to it and not just lettuce. By the way, using canned stuff doesn't count. Plus, I noticed that they have bottles of ranch dressing which is extremely high in calories and fat. If you're trying to be healthy, a simple vinaigrette is better. If you don't like them, then use a small amount of ranch to just coat the salad. You still want to be able to taste the salad itself and not ranch. Now, I don't know how much dressing they use, but I've seen one of my roommates completely attack her salad with ranch and claim she's "eating healthy."

-When Anna made that claim how her baby uses cloth diapers so it's okay to drive a hummer irked the hell out of me. Ok, but you and your in laws use paper plates and cups like they grow on trees. I get that the Duggars have a lot of mouths to feed but Josh and Anna have no excuse to use paper plates to chop up vegetables, fruits, etc. You people have a dishwasher, use it once in a while! It's not that difficult to buy real dishwares and use them. If they're trying to cut costs of their water and electricity bills, well you guys are doing a fine and dandy job protecting the environment by using a shit load of paper plates, cups, and utensils. Applaud for idiots :clap:

I always have my salad dressing on the side and dip my fork in it. I don't even hardly use that much but still get the taste

My friend and I decided to make some of the Duggar meals to see how they are--high in fat, carbs and TONS of salt. Not too horrific if you are a kid running around all the time, but if you are say...a 25 year old man who sits and doesn't ever exercise, you're going to pack on the pounds. This is why Michelle has to go on diets, the food in the house isn't healthy and if you noticed from when Jim Bob was trying to loose weight, they never ate the same food as the kids--wtf!?

They use paper plates so instead of loading dishes into the industrial washer, the four girls can save more time raising babies, cooking, and cleaning.

Michelle and JB are considerate like that.

Yep Mullet and Boob probably figured that loading dishes up would possibly force Mullet to do more with the younger kids.

That chickenetti would be expensive--I added up $12 to buy the ingredients and that is not counting sides. I will not be making this anytime soon. For $12 you can pick up a package of London Broil at the supermarket and have something that actually tastes good.

As a poor college student the majority of the vegetables I buy are the frozen steam in the microwave kind. They're cheap as hell (a lot of the times cheaper than fresh veggies) and if they're flash frozen they usually have more nutrients than fresh vegetables. I absolutely loathe canned vegetables and in this day and age I really don't see the point in buying them unless you have no access to a refrigerator.

However the foods they cook are super unhealthy, but they probably taste delicious to little kids. I know they 'train' their children, but it must be difficult to come up with food that 20 people are willing to eat on a regular basis, especially for the 3-12 year old set.

I could see some of the foods being good comfort food (TTC) but as a dietary staple, not so good.

I erased the "Dan" episode where he snarked on all the carbs in the TaTaCaCa, but IIRC, there was a pop up that said the Duggars eat 50(?) trays of that crap a year. Considering 2 trays for one meal, that's 25 meals a year. For the amount of time they're actually spending at home these days, that's a lot of that crapola.

They need to knock off the Ranch dressing (or any other store bought for that matter). I'm sure Hidden Valley is paying them, but that sheeyat is LOADED with high fructose corn syrup, and make their own olive oil (probably never heard of it) and lemon dressing. it's not that hard to whip up a batch.

Most everything they eat is full of sodium and HFCS, so while the kids may be okay now, they'll certainly be predisposed for Type 2 diabetes when they're older unless they clean up their diets. I've seen 8 year old diabetics, but they are low income kids whose parents can't afford healthy foods, and they basically exist on .99 cent fast food menus. The Duggars have no excuse.

Smuggar whose love of burgers, soda and other junk food is legendary on his facebook page is headed straight down that path faster than he realizes. I would really love to send Anna a copy of "Supersize Me" to put some REAL fear of God in her when she considers life as an uneducated young widow.

I would say that the canned tomatoes would be the least of my worries. There are reasons for using canned tomatoes over fresh in a recipe, and there are some really good brands out there. (But I doubt they are either spending the amount for a good brand, like Muir Glen, or canning their own)

I use canned veggies, fresh veggies, and frozen veggies according to what is appropriate for the recipe, affordable, and seasonal. But I do watch my diet.

One of the things that bothers me greatly is the presence of that styrofoam cup dispenser that's built into the wall! I just can't comprehend the mind that thinks that (and all the other disposables) is okay. But maybe they're buying used and saving the difference. Yeah, that's it...
Also, they certainly have enough land and labor to grow a substantial garden.

The Duggars don't give a shit about the environment. The Duggars are anti-Earth, anti-Environment...because only "evil liberals" care about the Earth. They will continue to use paper plates and styrofoam until they're blue in the face. They will never plant a garden because that would require Michelle, JimBlob et al to actually give a shit about their environment. Plus, it would just be another chore for their children to do because you know JimSlob and Mullet wouldn't get off their asses to take care of the garden. I would love to dump all of their styrofoam waste on their front lawn and see how they like it.

I don't buy the poverty=no choice but being fat and diabetic thing. A McDonald's dollar cheeseburger has 300 calories. You won't get fat eating a 300 calorie meal even if you eat it every night. You will get fat if you get a Whopper Meal on a regular basis, but that costs like $7 and you could cook a healthy meal for your whole family for that.

Our food budget has been cut to almost nothing and dh and I are both losing weight. It's baby weight that I really need to lose, and dh had gained a few pounds with me, so no complaints. I can't afford treats except on rare occasions so we let the kids have them. Also, we are eating a lot of bean or lentil based meals. We have started eating more frozen vegetables, but canned foods are so expensive that they are out of the question.

Legume based diets aren't always a good idea once you are diabetic, but we will certainly lower our chances of getting Type 2 diabetes by eating one because we are losing weight and eating very little animal fat and processed food. Processed food costs more than whole foods unless you are talking ramen.

I never understood why the Duggars didn't buy turkeys on sale during the holidays and stick them in their giant freezers.

Roasting a turkey is not labor intensive and they could mash some real potatoes to go with it. Steam a few vegs and you have an easy, healthy and cheap meal.

I don't understand the Duggar way of eating at all - open cans, combine ingredients, serve on styrofoam. I don't see how they can afford paper/styrofoam plates with their buy used save the difference propaganda. It's just completely foreign to me! I also don't understand why a small veggie garden/raising chickens for eggs and meat isn't part of the J-boys' jurisdiction as this would seriously cut costs of raising food and they have the land to do it - oh wait, they're always on a TLC-sponsored roadtrip somewhere.

Yeah, it never really made sense why they use paper plates when they have an industrial dishwasher. I've used one of those and you can clean and sanitize all the duggar dishes in less time it takes the load a tradition at home dishwasher...

I recently re-watched the moving in special, and J'chelle was THRILLED about that dishwasher at the time. I think she claimed it could wash an entire load of dishes in under 3 minutes and they would have "no more dishpan hands" :(

I don't understand the we-don't-give-a-rat's-ass attitude toward the environment from the QF crowd, but it seems prevalent. In 100 years, they're the ones who are going to have thousands of descendents running around. Isn't it Dougie who has a 200 year plan? But they apparently don't care if their great-grandkids have clean air/water and healthy land. I guess they figure the family will be raptured by then, or maybe god can just wave his magic wand and fix everything :|

My fundy relatives think that all environmentalist things are just a plot by evolutionists and big government. Global warming is predicated on evolutionary geology (they say), and environmental regulations are OMG REGULATIONS. Plus, I have totally heard the "we're going to get raptured anyway" line. Maybe it was tongue in cheek, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's a grain of sincerity in it.

Aside from the obvious environmental idiocy, who wants to eat off styrofoam all the time anyway? You cut through it, it gets vaguely melty sometimes, it smells funny. Yeeeeergh...

Archived