IGNORED

The Maxwells heading west

WonderingInWA

Yes, I believe it is 9pm. You know, right after evening Bible time. They hit the hay at 9pm in order to get up at something like 4:30am to exercise and then have another session of family Bible time before breakfast. Not sure when they squeeze in bathing.

That's just plain sad. And its not even a full eight hours either, considering when I go to bed its about a half hour before I fall asleep.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, this is what is going on in Eagle, ID, today according to a local TV station. It's Eagle Fun Days! LOL. I'm sure Stevie is just pooping his pants about it. FUN Days, which will attract all the heathens in their skimpy summer clothes while he's talking about death and scheduling inside a church just down the road:

"On Saturday head to Eagle for Eagle Fun Days starting at 10:00 a.m. and ending with a firework display at night. The Eagle Fun Days Parade is scheduled to go from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Other events on the agenda are vendors, comedy shows and live music. There is even the annual Rocky Mountain Oyster feed hosted by the Eagle Fire that started at 5 p.m. and ends at 10 p.m."

Ha! I was going to head down there after work. Instead I'm sitting here watching PBS and reading FJ.

Steve probably shat himself knowing the town he was preaching in had an event called "[redacted] Days"

We haven't had a single pool for what-will-Uriah-breakdown-from-this-trip-? in a long time. :doh: Tsk, tsk. Those are always so much f*n.

Refrigerator in the bus will stop working. All the burrito and smoothie ingredients will spoil. The Maxwells will be forced to find sustenance among the godless heathens at a random Chilis, where they will encounter defraudingly-clad servers and will be offered Pepsi.

Somebody here quoted Steve a while back as saying he didn't believe in actively seeking spouses for his kids. Something about what if he pushed for a marriage that wasn't God's will. Of course they believed Christopher's first courtship, and Joseph's courtship were God's will, and we see how those worked out.

Apparently spouses will just drop down their chimney or something.

It's so neat when your personal theology just happens to hold you unaccountable for your daughter not fulfilling the only purpose in life you've allowed her to prepare for.

The Maxwells strikes me as the type who would sit right next to a party fest and settle into Bible reading and praying. For years, they had a booth outside of a state fair (with all the rides gleaming in the foreground) handing out tracts to the fun seekers. Of course, they made the younger children stay home for fear they may be enticed by the F-U-N. On large homeschooling conferences, they studiously avoid staying for a Sunday get-together which may include mild aspects of partying. Their own "parties" consist of carefully arranged table settings with dinner and dessert and more Bible studying! Blech, perhaps it's a kind mercy that the younger Maxwell children are so isolated. They have no concept of fun so they don't know what they're missing.

Re: Sarah finding a spouse. I've always gotten the impression Steve believes Sarah's spouse will just plop into their lap when it's the right time. As a result, they feel no compunction to seek out a mate for her. Steve is not of the belief that God helps those that helps themselves. That's the stated excuse, at least. The reality is that Sarah's spouse is required to share similar Maxwellian ideas of isolation and values. That would be difficult to find as no one is as crazy as the Maxwells. The situation is also complicated by the fact that Sarah's future husband would be free from Steve's influence. For a control freak like Steve, that must weigh heavily on him.

The boys have an easier time because their future wives will give in to whatever craziness the Maxwells follows plus Steve would still hold much influence on his sons's married lives. I guess we will see how successful Anna and Mary will be in their courtships. At some point, people will start taking note of the fact none of the Maxwell daughters are married and that would be bad for business. Steve may eventually be forced to cede control and allow at least one of his daughters to marry in order to sell his wares. When that day comes, I hope the young man can take the Maxwell girl far away from her crazy family.

The posted a photos of Sarah with a cringing look on her face as she sampled it. But, as a good little Maxwell, she had her lips pursed tightly together. Stevie wouldn't have like it if she had opened her mouth to spit it out!

Have to make sure potential suitors know that she always swallows like a good helpmeet.

Btw, for Uriah I'm predicting a cleaning emergency when the Maxwell females realise that they haven't removed the fittings and given him a proper deep clean and there's been all sorts of sinful dirt polluting their home while they waste the LORD's time on sinful pursuits like seeking new green smoothie recipes and excessive ironing (it indicates vanity in personal appearance).

Have to make sure potential suitors know that she always swallows like a good helpmeet.

Oh my! :clap:

Okay, so maybe (good) lobster isn't as ubiquitous in landlocked Kansas as it is on the eastern seaboard or other coastal areas, but it's not exactly an exotic food (surely there are Red Lobsters in Kansas?) Only the Maxwells would make a big honkin' deal out of trying it. And what's with the down under bit?

Le Loobster...

titus2.com/blog/index.php/2008/10/03/a-delicacy-from-down-under/

For the record, I'm not a fan either, despite trying it numerous times and in various preparations from some of the best regional restaurants and food stands. I don't ever recall recoiling in horror however.

Okay, so maybe (good) lobster isn't as ubiquitous in landlocked Kansas as it is on the eastern seaboard or other coastal areas, but it's not exactly an exotic food (surely there are Red Lobsters in Kansas?) Only the Maxwells would make a big honkin' deal out of trying it. And what's with the down under bit?

Le Loobster...

For the record, I'm not a fan either, despite trying it numerous times and in various preparations from some of the best regional restaurants and food stands. I don't ever recall recoiling in horror however.

Thanks for finding that, Sparkles! I'd forgotten they were rinsing it with a water chaser -- like it was cough syrup or something. What a waste! I guess the texture of it was half the battle for them since it wasn't quite a bean burrito.

Le Loobster...

I think the down under thing refers to underwater. What can you expect from Poor Sarah??

Well if they had eaten the lobster while it was still hot and dipped in melted butter, they might have actually enjoyed it. I prefer crab legs myself.

What would have happened if one of the children liked lobster? I am afraid that they are not allowed to have independent tastes.

What would have happened if one of the children liked lobster? I am afraid that they are not allowed to have independent tastes.

14 hours in the prayer closet?

So, Steve thought they should have the experience of trying lobster?

Hey, Steve, how about giving your adult children the experience of a college education?

And maybe the experience of working for someone who is not you.

And what about the experience of making friends outside the family.

Don't stop at lobster, Steve.

Le Loobster...

Nope, I'm a farm girl. No lobster. No shrimp or scallops. No fish except fish sticks or a McFish. Maybe canned tuna or salmon occasionally. And my "tastes" aren't all that unusual among us Angus raising/eating Midwestern souls!!!! And if you want to see a look of horror, put sushi on my plate. Blech!!!!!

Nope, I'm a farm girl. No lobster. No shrimp or scallops. No fish except fish sticks or a McFish. Maybe canned tuna or salmon occasionally. And my "tastes" aren't all that unusual among us Angus raising/eating Midwestern souls!!!! And if you want to see a look of horror, put sushi on my plate. Blech!!!!!

Food tastes and textures are regional, for sure. I only needed to see one cattle lot to know I didn't need to eat meat again. I do eat seafood, which isn't much better, I suppose, ethically. But I don't turn my nose up at lobster from 3000 miles away. YUM.

I'm a transplanted midwesterner in the great state that borders our Pacific Coast. I never had a taco nor did a burrito ever end up on my plate till we moved here. I now count carnitas as one of the blessings from above. I will eat cod but prefer fresh water fish. I love shrimp, crab legs with drawn butter and lemon, and lobster peeking out of it's shell. I look for lobster when it's on sale and buy a couple of tails at Costco and we throw it on the grill.

Steve, let your kids expand their palates. What you call a burrito is beans and rice and not much else. Runny crap on a tortilla. You were in Thailand, how about some giant prawn with lemon grass and glass noodles?

Yesterday’s experience: Dad wanted us to be able to try a lobster. Most of the places that would serve lobsters would be too expensive

Says it all really.

So he made it himself served it on paper plates.

Dad carefully cut the two small lobsters up

How to introduce new and different food to children. Know nothing about it and pick the cheapest, then expect the reaction you are aiming for. Always going to work. OH silly me. They are adults imprisoned by the childcatcher.

It may not be to everyones taste. Fish can be like that. I absolutely love lobster, probably because I live by the sea. I have never eaten small, or paperplated in a bus lobster.

STEVE! Jesus liked fish you know. Never heard him mention burritos though. Jesus is not pleased. :naughty:

Uriah has a slight fever, but he's ok and is soldiering on.

In other riveting news, they Maxwells stopped at a rest stop that contains a hill that they quite like to climb, and climbed said hill. They hadn't climbed it since travelling out to Christopher's wedding, guys! Hill was climbed, posed photos were taken, we were reminded to be ever vigilant against the temptations of the world. I think the Maxwells allowed themselves to be tempted by that enticing hill, not just once, but many times. They keep coming back like the helpless carnal sinners they are.

I'm about 45 minutes from Leavenworth, and we can get good lobster at our local grocery store.

As for the misconceptions about the west coast, I grew up in the DC suburbs and didn't go west of the Mississippi until I left for college, and the idea that my mom visited Seattle in the 60s (the idea that Seattle existed and was a place you could fly to) was pretty mind-blowing.

I would like to see their schedules for all that endless driving. It sounds miserable.

I don't love / like fish (hives and eyes swelling shut after a lobster crab dish doesn't help) but hubs is also a KS farm boy, and he loves seafood and fish. Oysters on the half shell, sashimi, catfish, trouth, salmon, etc etc etc... he eats it all. And we live in the KC area. Leavenworth, where I gather the Maxwells live, a 30 mile drive to a city that has fresh and frozen seafood at most good grocers, restaurants ranging from Red Lobster to McCormick and Shmick and a multitude of Sushi restaurants. Half the steakhouses probably offer a surf and turf with lobster or crab on the menu. Seafood is flown in daily for several of the restaurants. Not the same in cost, certainly, as at the coasts, but always available.

I would like to see their schedules for all that endless driving. It sounds miserable.

It's probably a relief to be able to just sit and do nothing, rather than be constantly busy doing things like polishing kitchen cupboards and cleaning ceiling fans. (Or maybe I'm just projecting-the 16 hr flight from Sydney to Vancouver without having to do anything or small children to attend to is my idea of a good time :shifty: ).

Oh, and add me to the list of seafood haters. I come from a coastal city, seafood is fresh and easy to get. I just dislike the taste and the texture.

Says it all really.

So he made it himself served it on paper plates.

How to introduce new and different food to children. Know nothing about it and pick the cheapest, then expect the reaction you are aiming for. Always going to work. OH silly me. They are adults imprisoned by the childcatcher.

Given what we know of Steve, I would not be surprised had he purposefully set up his kids' first taste of lobster to be a bad one. If you really want to introduce someone to a new delicacy, you prepare it well and make serving it forth something of an event. Even if you're only able to make tasting portions, a normal person would do it justice, because if it's something worth trying you want them to have a shot at enjoying it, too.

But that's not what happened for the Maxwell kids. They got stingy bits of lobster dished out on paper plates in the bus. Who knows if it was even cooked properly? And overcooking ruins it.

But Steve's the kind of guy who would want his kids' experience of trying lobster to be a failure. Lobster is, after all, an expensive luxury. It's worldly. Savoring it properly, with plenty of drawn butter, is sensuous and decadent and messy. All of which makes enjoying lobster a depraved and sinful thing. Having a taste for lobster is pretty much symbolic of everything Steve fears. So in order to inoculate his kids against developing such worldly, decadent, and soul-imperiling (not to mention expensive) tastes, why not let them try it?--But make it as unpleasant as possible. And given how blunted their palates already are, it wouldn't take much effort to ensure the kids never dream of trying lobster again.

That aside, are my eyes deceiving me or is that a genuine candid shot I see in the blog entry about packing to leave? In one photo, Anna has her back to the camera while she takes something out of the fridge. She is not looking at the camera, has not stopped to pose for it, and is not giving it the obligatory stiff, canned, Maxwellian smile. Am I even at the right blog? I AM SO CONFUSED.

Archived