IGNORED

The Maxwells heading west

WonderingInWA

Am I the only person who lives in the West who is offended by Sarah's references to our part of the country as "out there", "rugged West", and "spacious West"? I guess she's trying to put a positive spin on the West, but her generalizations are crazy. I have lived in "the West" my entire life, and have traveled a lot of the country in my life, and not once have I felt it accurate to call the West "rugged". Or "spacious". It's such a stereotype. And she should know, since her early years were spent in the Seattle area, which is about as "West" as you can get without falling into the Pacific Ocean.

Am I being overly sensitive here? Their first conference is this weekend in Eagle, ID (which is a suburb of Boise) and Eagle is about as congested with huge homes and people and cars as can possibly be (hope they find a place to park that big ole bus). The "West" has had electricity for a number of years now, and indoor plumbing has become fashionable, too. Oh, and traffic signals are popping up all over the place!

I noticed they just added a Coeur d'Alene conference. They ought to have a good time driving to northern Idaho with that big-assed bus. I'm sure we'll get lots of adventurous reports. And I'm not sure if they know, but there are a lot of heathens in Coeur d'Alene because it's a resort town. There will be bathing suits and short shorts and all sorts of sinful-looking people. Hope they packed their tracts!

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed it, too. Fundies have some sort of fascination with the West, and pioneers, and such, glamorizing it while ignoring its speedier aspects.

The Western US has some great wide open areas, but anyone attempting to build out in those areas are developers king subdivisions and families withe the parents working office jobs in the big cities.

Well, and we don't consider ourselves "the West". We don't say we live in "the West" or "out West".

It's rattle snake season in Idaho -- I'd love to see some kind of adventure there...

I am likely going to be in Boise on Saturday and am tempted to pop my head in the door at their Eagle conference, but don't think I will have time.

Do it!

I'm from California, and you're, no that lives in that region refers to that it as "The West". Stupid, eh?

I don't find it offensive. Just inane and boring, like all of the Maxwell posts ;)

When you live in Kansas and drive to Idaho or Washington or Oregon, you cover a LOT of empty and rugged country. Driving across Kansas or Nebraska or the Dakotas means a lot of flat and empty miles. Crossing Colorado means crossing the Rockies. If they go north and cross Wyoming, it's not as steep but it is equally rugged and empty. Arriving in Boise is like arriving in an oasis--finally, one sees civilization. I wouldn't be too hard on her--it is a very long drive. :)

When you live in Kansas and drive to Idaho or Washington or Oregon, you cover a LOT of empty and rugged country. Driving across Kansas or Nebraska or the Dakotas means a lot of flat and empty miles. Crossing Colorado means crossing the Rockies. If they go north and cross Wyoming, it's not as steep but it is equally rugged and empty. Arriving in Boise is like arriving in an oasis--finally, one sees civilization. I wouldn't be too hard on her--it is a very long drive. :)

Boise as an oasis -- LOL. Sorry, I grew up there, so thinking of it that way cracks me up. But yes, I guess from Sarah's hours and hours on the bus with little to look at but her Bible, it would seem an oasis.

But, it's hot there right now and she is going to see lots of people in very little clothing. I hope Stevie's ready for that one.

ETA: corrected a word

I live in Colorado, but I'm not a native. When I first moved here, I referred to it as the West, but now I know how dumb that is. Actually, we're more Midwest. Or usually I'll say it's the middle of the country. West to me now would be along the Pacific coast.

It's beautiful, and parts of it are rugged, but, really, there's a lot of suburban sprawl too. I hope Uriah makes it over the Rockies...wish I knew which way they were going. Might be fun to have a Uriah watch.

My headship was born and raised in Tacoma, WA, and moved to Alabama for work right after college. A fundie at his office asked him if they had electricity that far west when he was growing up, which was in the 60s and 70s. Way to go SOTDRT! He had fun explaining his computer science background to this individual.

My headship was born and raised in Tacoma, WA, and moved to Alabama for work right after college. A fundie at his office asked him if they had electricity that far west when he was growing up, which was in the 60s and 70s. Way to go SOTDRT! He had fun explaining his computer science background to this individual.

LOL. Even Boise had computers in the 70s. Sure, they were the size of refrigerators, but they had them. Oy, the naivete abounds.

I wonder if Sarah has heard of Microsoft? Or, even Micron (Boise-based). Or Morrison-Knudsen (Stevie should recognize that name, what with his engineering background). All "out West" companies that I think required the use of electricity and indoor plumbing to become successful.

This thread reminds me of a New Yorker cartoon from 2001 - timely, then, because California was in the throes of severe power shortages and brownouts. I can't get it to copy from Cartoon Bank, but here's the mental picture (think the Joads doing the dustbowl in reverse):

"Man, in ancient pickup truck loaded with belongings, talking to another man walking down street carrying a computer. “Get in, Tom—we’re goin’ to Oklahoma. Hear tell they got ‘lectricity.â€

While I was in college (mid 90s) I worked in Custer State Park in the Black Hills. A guy from CT actually asked one of my co-workers who was from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation if the Cowboys and Indians still fought and if he lived in a teepee. His response: instead of horses they use minivans and his teepee was the one with the satellite dish.

I live in Colorado, but I'm not a native. When I first moved here, I referred to it as the West, but now I know how dumb that is. Actually, we're more Midwest. Or usually I'll say it's the middle of the country. West to me now would be along the Pacific coast.

And I think the term "Midwest" is one big HUH? Sometimes it seems to encompass every state that doesn't border an ocean. My state borders Canada and is not the West in any way at all, yet we're considered Midwestern. Better than being called flyover country, I guess. :roll:

I predict that Uriah's engine overheats, the Maxwells are marooned in the Rockies and a very special Out West episode of the Donner party ensues.

After the lettuce and bottled water runs out, who will Steve eat first?

While I was in college (mid 90s) I worked in Custer State Park in the Black Hills. A guy from CT actually asked one of my co-workers who was from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation if the Cowboys and Indians still fought and if he lived in a teepee. His response: instead of horses they use minivans and his teepee was the one with the satellite dish.

:lol: Michigan here. I was once asked if I lived in an igloo and drove a dog sled. I explained that I also had electricity and indoor plumbing. Admittedly, we do like to tease people a bit, such as the time we had a visitor convinced that my dad had cut off his arm with a chainsaw and stuck it back on with tree sap.

Had the same question about KS in the late 70s when I was in DC. Someone asked if we still had issues with the Indians and if we knew anyone who had covered wagons. We told them we climbed up the grain elevators if there was an attack and the main wagons were station wagons.

John Marie lives in the Boise area. I wonder if he'll come a 'calling.... ;)

I have a feeling Steve would only "rename" woman because they are property and he can call them anything he wants.

I have a feeling Steve would only "rename" woman because they are property and he can call them anything he wants.

Nah, Steve's narcissism knows no bounds.

Wonder what would happen if someone named Steve came a courtin'?????

I'm sure John Marie is one of the reasons they are visiting Idaho. I don't remember where he lives within the state -- anyone, anyone?

Nah, Steve's narcissism knows no bounds.

Wonder what would happen if someone named Steve came a courtin'?????

Steve would have him marry Sarah on the spot and call him Steve Jr.

They do so much traveling, I wonder how they deal with seeing "worldly" things on the road. Do they just not look out the bus window? Just trying to picture what would happen if they passed a billboard for a strip club or something.

Family legend says that my great-grandmother had never left Boston until the 1930's. She came out west to Denver to visit my grandfather, her son, at his home. She had been quite concerned when he moved to Denver because in her mind it was still Cowboys and Indians out west. She came out on the train and all was well until the train pulled into Denver. Just so happened she came on one of the same days that a large several nation Pow-Wow was going on.

Isn't it sad that with (almost) three daughters of marrying age (at least fundie marrying age), we can collectively only think of one man in their lives that might serve as a potential spouse?

Isn't it sad that with (almost) three daughters of marrying age (at least fundie marrying age), we can collectively only think of one man in their lives that might serve as a potential spouse?

If Anna ends up in a courtship before Poor Sarah, I think it is going to break her.

Just my view, but if Steve has any consideration for Sarah he'll start a serious husband hunt for Sarah.

Archived