IGNORED

GMA's nip slip and the Parent's television council

Buzzard

So it appears there was a "wardrobe malfunction" this morning on GMA during a Nicki Manaj segment (I must be getting old because I have no idea who she is...)

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/05/nicki ... -nip-slip/

So, of course, the tools at the PTC are screaming and whining like toddlers without cookies:

For the umpteenth time in recent memory we have a morning news broadcast airing explicit content when millions of families are starting their day and are looking to get caught up on the news

I'm sorry, but a nip is "explicit content?" Arent these the same fundies that breast feed until the kid is 2 on demand? Where is the line between "food" and "sex"? When does a child seeing a boob for breakfast stop being a good thing and turn into "explicit content" that is unacceptable during breakfast?

You know, PTC did have a point about the five second delay... except ABC was running a 5 second delay and still missed it.

Theres a screenshot of the "scene" its so tiny... its a distant shot. You really had to have been trying to find it to see it. They miss stuff on delay all the time I just dont understand the big deal.

I've never understood how someone can be so traumatized by a nipple. Most of us have at least one...

I've never understood how someone can be so traumatized by a nipple. Most of us have at least one...

Totally.

I just can't imagine caring about this.

Totally.

I just can't imagine caring about this.

And if you are SO freaked out about a little sexualization, are you really supposed to be watching someone dressed like Nicki Minaj singing this secular music and OH MY GOD... DANCING!!??!!??!!

If I didn't know better, I'd think that the PTC sit in front of their TVs, 24-7-365, just waiting for things like this to happen...

If a kid sees a nipple, they're either thinking "Lunchtime!" or nothing at all. Nipples won't destroy children or America or anything. They're not magic.

I think the PTC are a bunch of right wing hypocrites. They are the type of people who have no problem telling you what you should or shouldn't let your kid watch on TV but throw a tantrum when Michelle Obama suggests to parents that their kids should eat healthier.

PTC is probably making a big deal out of this because the shows they usually bitch about are on summer hiatus.

I'd be more upset about my kids seeing that outfit. It's like Cyndi Lauper and Lil Kim are her stylist. Sooo ugly.

Ugh. No wonder Europeans laugh at us. The sight of a nipple sends people into a frenzy over here. Funny how they rant and rail about being able to breastfeed in public, but a little nipple on a tv show and they go ballistic. So, its ok if kids are exposed to your nipple, just not Nikki or Janet's nipple. Yeah, hypocrites.

Ugh. No wonder Europeans laugh at us. The sight of a nipple sends people into a frenzy over here. Funny how they rant and rail about being able to breastfeed in public, but a little nipple on a tv show and they go ballistic. So, its ok if kids are exposed to your nipple, just not Nikki or Janet's nipple. Yeah, hypocrites.

Not just the Europeans. We laugh at you too. Not in a bad way, mind you. Just in a "wow, 540,000 complaints to our 50 over Janet Jackson's nipple? Really?"

I suspect there's an element of racism in all this - that ugly image of black women as lust-filled temptresses out to seduce your nice white sons and blah blah blah. White actresses and models nipple-slip all the time, and it's a little bit of a joke. Nicki Minaj or Janet Jackson have an accident with their tops and they're basically pilloried.

There is also a rather overt element of sexism. Men show nipples all the time. In fact, no one thinks twice about a completely topless man.

Archived