IGNORED

Nigella Lawson choked in public by her husband, no one cares

ladyaudley

That makes good sense - much harder to walk away if the plea is personal. I think a lot of people would have a hard time living with themselves if they walked away from an attack and the victim was horribly assaulted and died.

Slightly OT, I learned about Damien Hirst in art class. I've always thought his most widely recognized work of art was a bit ridiculous, "For the Love of God." Hirst comes from money, and spent $20 million constructing a human skull composed of platinum and diamonds. Some argue it represents the belief that you can't take material wealth with you when you die, others, the idea that consumerism will endure even when aesthetic ideals vanish from this world. At any rate, Hirst auctioned the skull off for 5 times what he spent on creating it. To me, it represents a ridiculous waste of resources, but maybe others get more artistic value out of the piece than I do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_the_Love_of_God

Even more OT, but although Damien Hirst is extremely rich now, he comes from a working class background. I was at art college when the whole YBA thing was big and it was an exciting time although I never particularly liked his work. I just think he was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time and had enough bravado to carry it off. When I was working in an art gallery bookshop a few years later he came in and, strangely, bought one of his own books. He was rude and a bit of a knob to be honest.

I notice the BBC news is saying that Saatchi handed himself in to a police station before being cautioned. Does that mean that if he hadn't done that, no action would have been taken?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"We are aware of the reports, and we are making inquiries to establish the facts – but that does not constitute an investigation. No allegation has been made, and we have not spoken to any of the principles."

He was heading off the inevitable. Clever.

Because there was no formal complaint from Nigella the most it would ever be was a complaint by a third party as a lesser crime. Affray would be the only basis.

Unless she formally complains nothing will be done.

I believe in Saatchi-land that's called "playfully tweaking". She should run like hell. If he does that in public, what does he do in private?

ETA I just read that she took her kids and left. Thank God. :clap: I hope she stays strong.

The article I read on Yahoo quoted Saatchi saying he told Nigella to take the kids away due to the press. Yeah. Right.

What makes me furious is the difference in attitudes. If it had been a random man walking into the restaurant and attacking Nigella- it wouldn't have been a 'private matter'. It would have been a huge deal in the restaurant and I bet you the police would have been called.

Oh, but it's her husband. That makes it okay.It's just a domestic.

I can't believe people still think like that.

Unfortunately, the outcome would be the same for people who are not notable. It happens every day and does not make the news.

* Edited for spelling.

I hope Nigella takes those kids and runs for the hills. I hope she never gets back together with that creep.

If he's willing to attack her in public who knows what he'll do behind closed doors and abuse often only gets worse.

Her twitter has gone quiet from the 15th. She's normally quite prolific.

A lot of talk regarding her need to talk out as a spokesperson for domestic abuse. Difficult one really. No privacy in the public eye :(

her need should be what to do to keep her and her children safe and try to insure this old creep gets what her deserves; that's all she should have to concentrate on...not a need to be any ones or any things spokesperson just now; she may never feel comfortable for whatever reason doing that and she should not have to feel pressured at all.

her need should be what to do to keep her and her children safe and try to insure this old creep gets what her deserves; that's all she should have to concentrate on...not a need to be any ones or any things spokesperson just now; she may never feel comfortable for whatever reason doing that and she should not have to feel pressured at all.

Amen and amen.

Where is the talk of HIS need to get counseling, sedation, a lobotomy, etc.?!l

You are right, of course, and in a perfect world this would be what happened. But the fact is that she is a celebrity and this is a way of life she has chosen. By standing up and publically saying "I will not be treated like this" she can do a great deal of public good. I do worry that if she puts up with it, it could have a lot of negative repercusions. She shouldn't be pressured, but hopefully she will put this into the equation when she decides what to do.

As for Saatchi, she can't change him and shouldn't be asked to. They mentioned his art auction website on NPR this morning and I nearly choked! I will never go there now. I only hope NPR pre-recorded the piece and didn't mean to give him any publicity at this time.

Totally agree.

Apparently some Aussie radio host was calling for people to not buy her books until she speaks out. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Totally agree.

Apparently some Aussie radio host was calling for people to not buy her books until she speaks out. :roll:

Even at my most imaginative I could not conjure up something so stupid. Is this really true? Let's punish the victim!

Even at my most imaginative I could not conjure up something so stupid. Is this really true? Let's punish the victim!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/fa ... 6665499980

Apparently so :( I only heard it reported on radio here, but it appears to be the case.

Dunleavy's comments came less than 72 hours after Fairfax fired 6PR's Howard Sattler for interrogating Prime Minister Julia Gillard about her partner Tim Mathieson's sexuality.

"Nigella, like it or not, you're a beacon for women from all walks of life," Dunleavy wrote in her blog.

"If you want us to buy your books and watch your shows on how to run our kitchens, then we need you to make a stand on domestic violence."

She further attacked the 53-year-old for posting a picture of a buttered bagel on her Twitter page after the incident "as though nothing else was on her mind but food".

Even more OT, but although Damien Hirst is extremely rich now, he comes from a working class background. I was at art college when the whole YBA thing was big and it was an exciting time although I never particularly liked his work. I just think he was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time and had enough bravado to carry it off. When I was working in an art gallery bookshop a few years later he came in and, strangely, bought one of his own books. He was rude and a bit of a knob to be honest.

I notice the BBC news is saying that Saatchi handed himself in to a police station before being cautioned. Does that mean that if he hadn't done that, no action would have been taken?

Thanks for sharing, constantgardener, that's very interesting. Perhaps he was trying to draw attention to his own work by purchasing the book? It certainly sounds like an ego trip on his part! It's strange, though, as Lois Fichner-Rathus, the author of my college art textbook, claimed that Hirst came from money. Maybe she confused her sources? And if it is true that he didn't start out wealthy, then it would definitely explain why Hirst would have needed the financial backing of someone like Saatchi for his artistic ventures.

Nigella Lawson owes herself and her family saftey and security. It takes a long time to process violence from someone you love. Society does tend to blame the victim. Becoming outspoken makes employers and sponsers very uncomfortable. We are still a very misogynistic society. It really is a very personal thing. I do believe that aa a public person, Ms Lawson will eventually speak out, but when and if that happens is completely up to her.

I know this personally.

• 2 weeks later...

Good for her. He assaulted her in public, refused to take responsibility for his actions, and as a consequence she has moved out and is filing for divorce. Whether she "speaks out" now or not, her actions are sending a pretty clear signal that she is not tolerating the behavior. I don't think her fans have a right to expect anything more.

She's remained so dignified during all this. She let the photos and Saachi's subsequent actions tell the story and she hasn't had to breathe a word. He's shown himself to be a grade A twat and no doubts that will affect his business. Nigella's quietly left him and just sat back and let Saatchi implode. Good on her.

His statement is one of the shittiest things I've ever heard, and of course now the Daily Fail is totally taking his side, saying "oh, if only Nigella had listened to him instead of caving to the pressure to make it look like abuse, she would still be married, poor unfortunate soul." Who delivers a divorce statement via the media? Arrogant prick.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2357634/Charles-Saatchi-breaks-divorce-news-Nigella-Lawson-exclusive-statement-Mail-Sunday.html

The Daily Mail article is one of the most rage inducing articles I've read in awhile. Of course he will say it's her fault he was forced to file for divorce. Abusers rarely take responsibility for their abuse.

:pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:

And to Nigella if you ever stumble across this. I am so proud of you having the courage to stand up to him and leave. I know that it is a scary time but you did what you needed to do to protect yourself and your family. Way to go! I hope that others in your situation can use you as an example of the right thing to do.

I was genuinely appalled when I read his statement. It's almost like a textbook abusive partner. You obviously think you're better than me, it's all your fault anyway, you're lucky, i still love you though... Poor Nigella. Imagine having that horrible guilt trip splashed around the world

I was saying to Mr Kat that you would have thought that someone who is so big in marketing would be savvy enough to know that that statement makes him look like a massive manipulative cock to everyone who isn't a MRA. However, I suppose his statement shows he is blinkered by his victim mentality plus he probably knows the DM crowd will always blame the evil women if they can.

Asshole. Never once have myself or anyone I know in a loving relationship grabbed the other person by the throat. There is nothing loving or playful communicated in that gesture.

Archived