IGNORED

Nigella Lawson choked in public by her husband, no one cares

ladyaudley

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it so disturbing that the article went on and on about what they were wearing and kind of acted like this was no biggie.

What da faq did I just read? Where is the outrage at someone being attacked in public? Who cares what they were wearing? If someone is willing to lay hands on someone in public like that it could only be worse at home. Put down the damn camera and call the police! :pull-hair:

Oh gosh, that just turned my stomach. :cry:

Why did no one step in and tell that abusive prick to knock it off? I guess because it's a "private" matter, and no one wants to get involved...outside of snapping pics, of course.

Poor woman.

I found it so disturbing that the article went on and on about what they were wearing and kind of acted like this was no biggie.

Why does the headline have "attacked" in quotes? That's kind of bizarre.

Now there are fears of severe problems in their 10-year marriage – his third and her second.

No shit. I'd say this leans more toward "proof" than "fear" of problems. He sounds like a jackass of epic proportions.

There were a lot of comments on Jezebel about how when people intervene in this kind of thing publicly, that usually tends to lead to worse abuse back home. Still, at least the restaurant should have stepped in and told Saatchi that he wasn't welcome anymore. The paparazzo should report Saatchi to the police with the pictures. It's pretty damning evidence.

Why does the headline have "attacked" in quotes? That's kind of bizarre.

No shit. I'd say this leans more toward "proof" than "fear" of problems. He sounds like a jackass of epic proportions.

Nigella was a widow. Her first marriage by all accounts was a happy one. But this new one, OMFG, I hope she gets away sooner than later.

A spokesman for Scott’s said last night: “We do not comment on the private matters of customers.â€

Since when did PUBLICLY ASSAULTING someone count as a "private matter"?

Oh, right, when it's a husband assaulting his property, er, wife. Okay, then, carry on.

There's some follow up on the BBC site today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22935683

Apparently, according to Saatchi, it was "playful" and an "intense discussion" although he later refers to it as "hate arguing". The pictures have been forwarded to the police.

I hope Nigella is able to find the support she needs to stand up to this. She's such a public figure and role model that I'd hate to think women would see this and feel they need to just suck it up, too.

She's such a public figure and role model that I'd hate to think women would see this and feel they need to just suck it up, too.

like Rihanna? -.-

and "a playful tiff"? right.

"Playful tiff", my arse.

Besides, don't "playful tiff" and "she hates arguing " contradict each other?

If my husband ever did that to me during a "playful tiff" (and he never, ever, ever would he's the sweetest guy out there) he'd be playing with himself in a jail cell.

like Rihanna? -.-

and "a playful tiff"? right.

I hate that Rihanna continues to make excuses for Chris Brown. He's such a worthless scumbag, I hope people continue to boycott him and his music. No one who abuses others deserves the adoration of fans and a successful career.

As for Lawson, I hope that she gets the hell away from him, poste haste.

I feel so upset for Nigella. How awful.

A few years ago my sister and I went camping at a very crowded campground and we were stuck next to a group of very drunk college aged males who kept yelling racist and sexual things to us in a threatening manner. It was the middle of the day, and we were surrounded on all sides by families camping at least 3-4 deep but no one stepped in to help us or tell them to stop or even let us know we were safe and they wouldn't let anything happen. No one even left to get a park ranger, no one would make eye contact with us.

By far the most traumatic part of the whole incident was that feeling of being surrounded by people seeing we were in danger and knowing that they weren't going to help. My heart breaks for what Nigella must have been feeling at that restaurant. :(

"Playful tiff", my search.

Besides, don't "playful tiff" and "she hates arguing " contradict each other?

Not really. I hate arguing, but my husband and I play argue all the time. You might even think we were really fighting if you weren't paying attention to body language and tone of voice.

This has never, ever, ever involved choking or any other assault. Nor does it lead to tears or one party stomping off.

He's just a liar.

I wasn't clear. I meant the fact that she was crying because she hates aarguing says to most people that there was nothing playful about the "tiff".

It's been revealed in studies that the more bystanders there are, the less likely any individual is to intervene. The reasons vary, but it comes down to "I think someone else would have already intervened."

My God, I hope she gets the help and support she needs.

It's been revealed in studies that the more bystanders there are, the less likely any individual is to intervene. The reasons vary, but it comes down to "I think someone else would have already intervened."

My God, I hope she gets the help and support she needs.

This is true, in psychology this is known as the "Bystander Effect." In 1964, Kitty Genovese was stalked by a man, then raped and murdered by him. There were multiple people who heard her cries for help and even witnessed protions of the attack, but did nothing to help. Scientists wanted to further study why no one did more to help Genovese during the attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

This is true, in psychology this is known as the "Bystander Effect." In 1964, Kitty Genovese was stalked by a man, then raped and murdered by him. There were multiple people who heard her cries for help and even witnessed protions of the attack, but did nothing to help. Scientists wanted to further study why no one did more to help Genovese during the attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

we were taught in school to be specific in our cries for help if we're ever attacked. As in, don't shout "help!", shout "you, man in the blue jacket, help me!". It supposedly makes it harder to ignore for the person.

we were taught in school to be specific in our cries for help if we're ever attacked. As in, don't shout "help!", shout "you, man in the blue jacket, help me!". It supposedly makes it harder to ignore for the person.

And, in other emergency situations, it helps to single out a specific person and yell, "You--call 911!"

This proves, yet again, that no woman--regardless of her economic status or education level, whether she's a public figure or an anonymous everywoman--is safe from violence and abuse. The fact that this was such a brazen and public attack makes me sick to think what's gone on in private.

this is terrible. unfortunately, I think it's worth noting that this is Charles Saatchi we're talking about, and I'm not holding my breath he'll be in any real legal trouble. for those that might not know, besides being a multimillionaire Saatchi is basically the king of the contemporary art world. if he sponsors an artist that's pretty much it-they are automatically an overnight success. he is/was "responsible" for Damien Hirst, Tracey Emin, and Jenny Saville to name a few. for those not involved in the art world, those are BIG names, Damien Hirst in particular who is valued at something like 215 million pounds, which is obviously insane for a business man, let alone an artist. so as sad and unjust as it may be, a man with as much money and power as Saatchi probably isn't going to be doing much in the way of jail time anytime soon.

Archived