IGNORED

Christian sues Okla. over Native American liscense plate

Lillybee

Loved the last line. "It's interesting that Christians are now invoking the separation of church and state."

Only when it suits THEM. Everyone else, not so much.

License plate the new threat to Christians. How pathetic is your faith when something so simple threatens it? Reminds me of the idiots that protested. Japanese Buddhist temple bell installed in a convention center here in Portland.

Sweet Jesus, Mary and Joseph - don't these people have anything better to do with their time?

Dude, seriously. No one is driving by, glancing at your license plate and thinking "OMG, he must worship Native American deities!" Because...wait for it...they're all busy living their own lives. Something you should get busy doing and quit wasting the court's time with this horsehockey. :evil-eye:

How close are you driving to the car in front of you in order to notice exactly what statue is on the plate, and how much of your attention is taken away from your driving in order to ponder pantheism and a mythical war on Christianity? Maybe you're afraid that your car will somehow become a conduit that will infect you with anti-Christian thoughts just by having this plate on it (and quite frankly, if you do believe that, you must not have as much faith in your own god as you proclaim).

Seriously, do these people actually believe their own hype, or is most of it a big publicity stunt?

Oh, and animals do too have souls, and I don't need a statue to tell me that. I just have to look at my cat. Plenty of soul there.

http://www.csfineartscenter.org/collect ... sacred.asp

It sounds like the statue is basically of someone praying, and I do think he shouldn't have to have that on his license plate if he doesn't agree with it. I had never connected the statue to anything spiritual, but I guess he has a point. It would be interesting to see what he's say if it was a Native American suing over a license plate featuring a Christian praying, though...

I thought that the statue was about a Native American getting dinner, like a goose or duck.

My dad was right when he once said that Oklahoma is the asshole of the US, as it really is a conservative state.

Wtf. How can a piece of art work on a liense plate compremise this guys faith?

I must not be that great of a Christian or at least not very smart, since the only conclusion I leap to when seeing an Oklahoma license plate is that the person who owns the car lives in Oklahoma. Why do I think I'm not in the minority?

When creches are displayed on public land, Christians don't object. When the 10 Commandments are posted in pubic places, Christians say they're "historical" and not religious.

Hypocrites.

from the article:

the state can’t force people to display religious messages on things like license plates.â€

but I am forced to display similar religious messages -- where "others are likely to perceive an ideological message based upon the image" (also from the article) every time I

* participate in any local civic group

* attend any local government function

* attend a local school event

(since all these often open with a prayer and/or the pledge of allegiance)

or even

* handle money

:angry-banghead:

I completely get everyone's outrage at what is surely hypocrisy, and I think his motives were likely racist (i.e. he didn't want a Native American representation but actually didn't know anything about the symbolism of the image until later), but I think that this sets a good precedent for separation of church and state.

I suspect that the number of Native Americans in Oklahoma outnumber the fundies 5 to 1. So tired of the claims of persecution by 'Christians' who are intolerant of everyone else who does not share their beliefs. Hypocrisy of the first order.

I suspect that the number of Native Americans in Oklahoma outnumber the fundies 5 to 1. So tired of the claims of persecution by 'Christians' who are intolerant of everyone else who does not share their beliefs. Hypocrisy of the first order.

THIS!

Fundie Christians are the most coddled, catered to religious sect in the US. They have their own think tanks, publishing houses, activist groups, media outlets, universities and colleges, well-known leaders and pundits and they pretty much have the GOP by the collective balls. And then they cry persecution at anything that doesn't share their beliefs or put them on a mighty pedestal. I just can't take it anymore.

Does anyone else thing this kind of well racist?

He is basically saying the mere image of a Native American man is Panthest/Pagan/Non-Christian.

Seriously, if this was a white person with an arrow do you think he would be saying anything?

He is basically saying the mere image of a Native American man is Panthest/Pagan/Non-Christian.

Seriously, if this was a white person with an arrow do you think he would be saying anything?

"Hey, look! A license plate celebrating deer season!"

It isn't the mere image, though; I don't know if anyone would get it from the image alone, but the statue represents a man shooting an arrow to the spirit world as a prayer for rain.

Wait... but the previous license plate had a decorative Native American shield on the front, which I believe could also be interpreted as a religious symbol, as they're frequently used in various Native American rituals (in fact, I'd be more likely to perceive that as a religious thing than a statue of a guy shooting an arrow into the air). Why exactly wasn't he suing over that plate?

I was wondering about the shield, too. Apparently it's a battle shield.

I just read [link=http://gazette.com/court-man-can-challenge-oklahoma-rain-god-plate/article/feed/12505]this[/link] article and was amused to see this:

State Treasurer Ken Miller, who authored the license plate reissuance legislation while serving in the Oklahoma House, said the lawsuit "is another case of political correctness run amok."

"I am proud of my Christian heritage and the rich heritage of our state, which is appropriately honored with the beautiful Allan Houser sculpture on the license plate." Miller said in a statement.

You usually don't see the "political correctness run amok" response when it's a Christian doing the complaining.

Two questions, then:

(1) Does Oklahoma have a variety of "alternative" plates like most other states do nowadays? If so, can't he just order one of those?

(2) How does this guy (or fundies generally I guess) feel about the "In God We Trust" plates in Indiana?

...the Indiana plates are just one of a variety of designs you can get, but they are very popular at least among Indana residents who come over to drive around in Illinois for whatever reason.

Meanwhile I hate Illinois' standard plates (with Lincoln - I just don't like the cursive, I preferred the old plain plates) but Illinois has tons of alternative designs you can choose from.

Archived