IGNORED

Farm interns found!

Guest purposing

Guest Anonymous

By makepeace:

The Alexander family (Meredith's) were advertising for interns a while ago.

Well, they now have not just one intern but a whole family! This family has started a blog about it:

themorrafamily.blogspot.com/2011/05/on-move.html

Guest Anonymous

By makepeace:

Fundieness aside, I am happy for Sheridan - the family have two young kids, a girl and boy, that she can play with!

edit: after a little more digging, this family is a not what I expected. They are new to farming, hope it works out for them. Their daughter looks to be adopted. The father is an associate professor at a community college. Huh.

Last Edited By: makepeace 06/11/11 23:12:46. Edited 1 times.

By Clementinee.freekatieI am glad the family is doing it because they want to learn more about farming (I guess) and not because being a non-paid intern at the Alexander farm is the last resort for a family that has lost everything in the bad economy and do it just to at least get a roof over their head, and a piece of land to cultivate to get some food on the table for the family. Like in the 30's.

By Sola I'm envious. OK I wouldn't like to be there on the premise that I had nothing to fall back on. It sounds like the family will at least have the funds from their house sale to fall back on if it all goes tits up. But you know, a small home, a bit of land, chickens and enough space to grow food. Sounds wonderful to me.

By anniec Wow, well we knew Meredith was a hard worker, but it looks like it took a whole family to replace her.

By Jencendiary Sola wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm envious. OK I wouldn't like to be there on the premise that I had nothing to fall back on. It sounds like the family will at least have the funds from their house sale to fall back on if it all goes tits up. But you know, a small home, a bit of land, chickens and enough space to grow food. Sounds wonderful to me.

That would be nice if it were their own land. As it stands, they're sharecroppers.

Guest Anonymous

By demgirl

Sola wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm envious. OK I wouldn't like to be there on the premise that I had nothing to fall back on. It sounds like the family will at least have the funds from their house sale to fall back on if it all goes tits up. But you know, a small home, a bit of land, chickens and enough space to grow food. Sounds wonderful to me.

That would be nice if it were their own land. As it stands, they're sharecroppers.

Jencendiary wrote:

That was exactly my thought. Plus, they only have funds from the sale of their house if the sale price is higher than what's left on any mortgage. And that's only if their house sells -- in this economy, who knows? Our neighbor's house was on the market for 2 1/2 years before it sold.

I hope the dad doesn't quit his job due to demands on the farm.

Archived