IGNORED

real life encounters with the fundie side

sableduck

My FIL is on the board of directors of a Christian camp nearby. Though they are conservative, I've never thought of the place as particularly fundie, since the women wear shorts and pants and normale swimsuits(though one piece) and they sing praise music and nobody uses the KJV.

Last night, though, he told me of a conversation he'd had with the pastor who is speaking there this week. The pastor's son recently married and, according to my father in law, "they did courtship." The pastor was telling the story of the night before the wedding, at the rehearsal dinner. He and the bride's father talked about it, and decided that it would be nicer if the bride and groom had their first kiss in private. So they talked to the couple, and told them that they as fathers had decided that the couple should kiss that night in private. The couple, of course, were thrilled with the permission and proceeded to have their first kiss.

The bride was 29 and the groom was 32.

This camp is only a few miles from my home, and is apparently over run with the fundie sort this week and next. I am seriously considering breaking out the denim skirt and heading over for an afternoon.

You'd be amazed at how hung-up conservative Christians are. It's fucking ridiculous. Of course they expect a little bit more 'modesty' than most but for fucking real...they are EXTREMELY prudish when it comes to sex and any sort of physical contact.

Yeah, not all conservative Christians, but some definitely are. One I knew in university tried to tell me that my boyfriend and I should stop kissing until we're married because it could lead to temptation. This is the same obnoxious woman who also argued that she and her husband were more tempted (which is why THEY stopped kissing) in their SEVEN MONTHS between starting to date and getting married than my boyfriend were in what was at that point FOUR AND A HALF YEARS because they were "older" (I was, at this point, the same age she was when she got married, and it had only been something like half a year since their wedding, but she's a bit of a nut) and who also told me my boyfriend shouldn't stay in my apartment when he visited from 500 miles away because that was setting a bad example for other Christian girls. Yeah. She was special. There were plenty of others who were waiting for their "next first kiss" till marriage in that group, but she was the one who really drove me off the edge.

On the other hand, my first boyfriend was (still is) a very conservative Christian, and he told me at some point after breaking up that he wished we'd gotten to French kissing at some point. First kiss at 15 for both of us, the promiscuity! I think that perhaps there's a different kind of conservative Christian where I grew up though.

Archived