IGNORED

Planning a luxury vacation (while living in poverty)

Koala

My family always hung dry everything except towels, sheets, socks, and underwear. Using the dryer to dry clothes wears them out faster. If she was living in poverty trying to be frugal, she would be hang drying everything. Not only to save money, but to save her clothes.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps we're just tougher this side of the pond JFC :D

Must be an European thing because I like my rough towels too :D

I feel that I must stand up for the honor of soft and fluffy towels everywhere. Rough towels actually absorb less water, not to mention irritate the mosquito bites and heat rashes you get when you are enjoying 43 degrees Centigrade at high noon in the summer. :evil-eye: So people like me must prostitute ourselves to the iron in order to spare our innocent skin if we are hanging towels to air dry. :violin:

You guys are making me feel guilty for not line drying. I tried, but my clothes all turned out crunchy. I don't remember crunchy clothes in my childhood and my mom not only line dried, dad built her a special "launching" area (for lack of a better term) in the yard so she could hang the sheets high enough to not touch the ground.

I was really excited to move to a place with a deck so I could line dry, but our we have a "condo" association and they said it wasn't allowed, so my mom bought me a drying rack that I've never used because of the crunchy clothes thing.

And that woman has no clue what poor is. Poor is eating rice, and only rice, for supper every night, unable to even afford the money for the laundry in your apartment building so you "do a load of laundry" by tromping around in them in the tub after a shower (water included in rent) and hanging them up around your apartment. Or getting all your kid's clothes from the cheapest thrift store available (volunteer only, so no wages to cover) and even then your mother buys them so you can buy a bit more food to maybe avoid the food bank for a month.

I live in luxury now compared to that And we're still below the official poverty line, but I feel rich. We have a vehicle for the 1st time in a decade, even.

LadyBlue, the crunchy clothes thing, I think is caused by

#1 If you put too much liquid/powder in. I always get this wrong so I use the little liquid pouch things and scrub a bit at bad stains before they go in.

#2 If you don't shake/stretch the garments before putting them on the line. They then bunch up and cause a crunchy feeling. The same with towels. If I don't shake out a towel before hanging it comes out a bit weird.

#3 If you are hanging them out on the line with clothes pegs, make sure the pegs are properly far apart. If you don't the bunching thing happens again

#4 Do an extra spin cycle on the washer, that seems to help the crunchiness issue a bit because the clothes are less damp when you hang them out. Some people I know laughed at me for that and said it was wasteful, all I can say is it's not my shirt crunching me in unpleasant places :dance:

Whatever, I want to be enveloped in softness when I step out of the shower. Is that so much to ask? :lol:

Must be an European thing because I like my rough towels too :D

Same here! my whole family, in fact. My mother is known to have starched towels ^^

Archived