IGNORED

NYT op-ed piece about working mothers

Marian the Librarian

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/opini ... ef=opinion

Just came across an article by Stephanie Coontz, which nicely counters the claims made by some of our fave fundies (I'm looking at you, Kelly Generation Starvation/Two-Chicken-Breasts). Highlights:

At all income levels, stay-at-home mothers report more sadness, anger, and episodes of diagnosed depression than their employed counterparts.

A recent multiyear study by the sociologists Adrianne Frech and Sarah Damaske found that women who worked full time following the birth of their first child had better mental and physical health at age 40 than women who had not worked for pay.

Back in the 1960s and ’70s, a wife taking a job raised the risk of divorce. Today, however, a wife’s employment lowers the couple’s risk of divorce.

(Not breaking link, because it's the New York Times.)

Interesting the most miserable women are ones who work outside the home and the husband does not contribute to the housework.

Can't say I'm surprised...the women married to assholes are the unhappiest!

I wish we could stop pitting working mothers against stay-at-home mothers (and by 'we' I mean society in general)... either choice can be fulfilling and the 'right' choice for that particular woman and that particular family.

Interesting.

I suspect that the main factors are not actually the ones that get thrown around in the SAHM v. working mom debates.

Are working mom more like to have decent health care benefits? That could make a difference in the health stats.

Are women who suffer from depression or physical illnesses less likely to be in the workforce? That could also slant the figures.

Does the money earned allow couples to get out of debt, have some savings and have less financial anxiety? Does it allow for some extras to save time or reduce stress (cleaning help, babysitting, prepared foods, vacations, etc.)?

Are the women who are SAHM more likely to be married to men who are workaholics? Do these women feel that all of the burden at home is on them, because the husbands are never around?

Interesting.

I suspect that the main factors are not actually the ones that get thrown around in the SAHM v. working mom debates.

Are working mom more like to have decent health care benefits? That could make a difference in the health stats.

Are women who suffer from depression or physical illnesses less likely to be in the workforce? That could also slant the figures.

Does the money earned allow couples to get out of debt, have some savings and have less financial anxiety? Does it allow for some extras to save time or reduce stress (cleaning help, babysitting, prepared foods, vacations, etc.)?

Are the women who are SAHM more likely to be married to men who are workaholics? Do these women feel that all of the burden at home is on them, because the husbands are never around?

I think these are all questions that need to be asked for sure. The last point intrigues me though; from my (limited, anecdotal) experience, it seems that being a sahm can cause the spouse to be more of a workaholic. Every woman I know who left her position to stay at home with the kids has had a husband who seemingly turned into a workaholic overnight. My husband and I are friends with a couple (the men work together) who have been venting to us about their marital issues over the past two years. She says he works too much, and angrily points to my husband who works considerably less than hers does ( in their job, they have the ability to decide how much they work, and her husband often puts in 70+ hour weeks). He, in turn, points to my job and role as a co-earner and says that he a lot of pressure to ensure the financial security of their family. For them, I know, her staying home hasn't provided marital bliss, as they both feel they are taking on the lions' share of the work.

Archived