IGNORED

TSA vs. VF, Round 1: Ding ding!

hoipolloi

I can't decide whether dougie or TSA is worse. But I hated the Patriot act from Day 1. And Dougie passing up a search from a man? Hmmmm!

Dougie has been huffing and puffing about the TSA "enhanced patdowns" for months now.

I wondered if this might lead to VF extorting money requesting donations that would allow them to charter Lear jets or ocean liners for their overseas junkets missions.

I like the way you think.

He probably cried persecution, neither respectfully nor peacefully. In other words, I'm much more inclined to believe that he acted like the crazy religious nut that he is. I've been wondering for a while if Dougie talks so much about the "enhanced patdowns" because he secretly enjoys them.

My expierence at Baltimore International and Providence airports.

a) walk in, get boarding pass

b) take of shoes, belts, empty pockets, take of tie, jacket, put all into 2 trays send through scanner

c) stand on picture of feet till tsa waves me through

d) walk through

e) get stuff, go on my way

total time: 23min.

I mean, SHIT, where are all these "bad TSA folk" ALL the tsa folk i met- were professional, quick, and friendly.

oops, I forget, a.a) show boarding pass and drivers licence to first tsa person, then move to B

im sorry, but i dont see tsa as being that difficult... I agree its hard if you ignore the signs "no ____" and "have ____ ready" from the start of the line until your actually at the tsa desk, but damn, my 4 year old neice understood all the directions.. maybe my neice is smarter than VF?

My expierence at Baltimore International and Providence airports.

a) walk in, get boarding pass

b) take of shoes, belts, empty pockets, take of tie, jacket, put all into 2 trays send through scanner

c) stand on picture of feet till tsa waves me through

d) walk through

e) get stuff, go on my way

total time: 23min.

I mean, SHIT, where are all these "bad TSA folk" ALL the tsa folk i met- were professional, quick, and friendly.

oops, I forget, a.a) show boarding pass and drivers licence to first tsa person, then move to B

im sorry, but i dont see tsa as being that difficult... I agree its hard if you ignore the signs "no ____" and "have ____ ready" from the start of the line until your actually at the tsa desk, but damn, my 4 year old neice understood all the directions.. maybe my neice is smarter than VF?

I've had the same experience at airports both with the ebil enhanced scanners and the newer less ebil "modest" enhanced scanners. At atlanta last week they let me see the picture they were looking at. I've been "patted down" on 2 occasions (with the back of the hand) and didnt find it at all offensive. These people go to doctors and have their naughty parts touched, they can suck it up if they want to fly... or go to florida...

Truth be told based on my understanding of how Israel does it, i like Israels method the best, and it seems to be more effective... though its hard to determine how effective something is, when there really isnt a ebil terrorist on board trying to kill folk..

all they sent me through was a metal detector i didnt see any ebil machines- modest or naughty

my biggest concern, is not wether or not the sweet granny next to me has a bomb, but its wether or not the mechanic tightened all the bolts... and got all his wrenches out

May I say that I love the fact that teh ebul Google lists this thread as 4th when you google "Vision Forum" and "TSA" :lol:

Have you read this? Its a friend of Kim's at inashoe telling her story of her TSA scanner/patdown experience, after which she breaks down in an airport McDonalds.

plymouthrockranch.com/blog/?p=2696

I understand she was upset that her child continued walking without her, but as a child who frequently flew with my parents/grandparents/aunts and uncles/as an unaccompanied minor (my extended family lives on the opposite coast), I always knew to STOP at the end of the conveyor belt until the adult I was with told me that we were ready to continue to our terminal. Could she not have told her son the same, or prepared him to not wander away from his mother (which she should really teach him anyway)? After that, I fail to see what was so unconstitutional about the experience. Her story doesn't even sound like something that came with the new guidelines- she could have been the randomly selected person in line under the old guidelines.

A lot of people don't realize that even if your airport has a "scary scanner" machine, even in your terminal, doesn't mean they use them all day, every day. My husband and I recently flew out of a major airport on two different days - out of the same terminal. On my husband's day, they were sending people through the scanner. On my day (the very next day) it sat silent and empty, and I walked through the typical metal detector instead. In fact, I fly a fair amount and I have not had to get either a new scan or a body pat yet. If you follow the rules and don't hold up the line, the TSA agents can be downright friendly.

That being said, when I flew out of London it felt strangely liberating and more dignified, all because they don't make you take off your shoes.

Have you read this? Its a friend of Kim's at inashoe telling her story of her TSA scanner/patdown experience, after which she breaks down in an airport McDonalds.

plymouthrockranch.com/blog/?p=2696

I understand she was upset that her child continued walking without her, but as a child who frequently flew with my parents/grandparents/aunts and uncles/as an unaccompanied minor (my extended family lives on the opposite coast), I always knew to STOP at the end of the conveyor belt until the adult I was with told me that we were ready to continue to our terminal. Could she not have told her son the same, or prepared him to not wander away from his mother (which she should really teach him anyway)? After that, I fail to see what was so unconstitutional about the experience. Her story doesn't even sound like something that came with the new guidelines- she could have been the randomly selected person in line under the old guidelines.

Did she even try to alert security to her child being separated from her? I see no mention of "Can you please get my son/stuff?" I did not see her write that she even tried to alert the staff to her son wondering away. I highly doubt TSA 'put her son in danger' on purpose.

A lot of people don't realize that even if your airport has a "scary scanner" machine, even in your terminal, doesn't mean they use them all day, every day. My husband and I recently flew out of a major airport on two different days - out of the same terminal. On my husband's day, they were sending people through the scanner. On my day (the very next day) it sat silent and empty, and I walked through the typical metal detector instead. In fact, I fly a fair amount and I have not had to get either a new scan or a body pat yet. If you follow the rules and don't hold up the line, the TSA agents can be downright friendly.

That being said, when I flew out of London it felt strangely liberating and more dignified, all because they don't make you take off your shoes.

Taking off my shoes is actually my favourite part of security. If it was up to me I would only travel in sock feet, I find it far more comfortable. I hate shoes, grr.

I can't decide whether dougie or TSA is worse. But I hated the Patriot act from Day 1. And Dougie passing up a search from a man? Hmmmm!

Are we sure it was Dougie?

Did she even try to alert security to her child being separated from her? I see no mention of "Can you please get my son/stuff?" I did not see her write that she even tried to alert the staff to her son wondering away. I highly doubt TSA 'put her son in danger' on purpose.

It's not the TSA's responsibility to keep families together. That is the responsibility of the parents. Next time, she should have a talk with her son before going to the airport and let him know what is going to happen ahead of time and tell him to wait for her after he goes through security. I know plenty of people who travel with kids and none of them have had an issue with their children wandering off after going through security. Sounds like this was poor parenting.

Personally, I continue to be disappointed in the scanners. I was expecting radiation-induced superpowers.

I agree that she should have preparred him and told him to stick to her like glue. However, if TSA actually grabbed her and threw her in a box they should then corral her kid over there. She said her son did not even realize she was not right behind him. If security yanks you out of line then I think they have some responsibility to watch a young child that is 'separated' from you.

Still I see no mention of her even alerting the agents to her son who was wondering off. I saw no attempt on her part to call him over...she was too busy screaming about her rights. At that moment her child was secondary. He was only useful to add drama to the story. I would have been screaming about my kid, not my 'rights.' In retelling the story, I would be focused on the kid being in an unsafe situation

Same thing happened to a firend of mine, she called out to her kid and TSA nabbed her, then sat her in a chair next to the box with a book to look at.

Archived