IGNORED

"Offended" by child's shirt

SpeakNow

My daughter wears bike shorts or leggings under dresses all the time. Partly so she can climb on the monkey bars and sit however she wants without flashing her undies, and partly because due to sensory issues, she likes her clothing tight but loves dresses, too. She hates jeans or pants and will not wear them. She's skinny, too, so dresses will fit her top even when they're a tish too short, so leggings extend their wear by a season or two. Plus, it's cute and fashionable.

But I let her wear halter dresses and bikinis, so it's not exactly a fundie modesty issue. ;)

I didn't get the innuendo, either, and I see it everywhere. Yesterday I burst out laughing when two kids who are working on performing "Gaston" from Beauty and the Beast sang a particular line (by a girl) as an aside. It was "not a bit of him scraggly or scrawny!" The way she did it, it was clearly meaning a certain bit (though she didn't intend it.) I couldn't help it, and the kids told me I was perverted. Ah, Catholic school.

I guess my mind does live in the gutter, because the innuendo jumps out at me. But why point that out to a kid, or make a big deal of it at all? It's not graphic.

This reminds me of when I was kid and first heard the phrase "Make love not war." The sexual meaning flew miles over my head. I wrote the phrase in chalk on the road by our house and an older boy found that quite amusing. :lol: I didn't figure it out until a few years later.

I think it suspect. On an older person I'd think the obvious on a child I'd still think the obvious and that the parents should have thought a little bit more about allowing it. I'd not go up and shame them.

I really don't like suggestive tshirt slogans in public. I always shake my head when we get reminders home from school about free dress day/school camps etc about no inappropriate slogans, no singlet tops (sun safety) no crop tops, no short shorts. I guess common sense has gone.

I think leggings (or pants) under skirts is a general elementary girl trend, it goes along with young women wearing leggings under tunic-length shirts or miniskirts, which I've been seeing for 3 or 4 years now. It's part of the general resurgence of late '80s/early '90s fashion. Some people may be doing it for "modesty" reasons but it's common enough that can't be the only reason.

My son's 2nd grade classroom is full of little girls wearing MANY layers of sparkly things, when the weather is chilly like it has been this spring.

I agree on this. I've seen this in kids' Sunday school at my mainstream church and also just around town. Because of my background, I still tend to look at things in church in a "Is this from fundie?" kind of way but a lot of parents at my church who've been sending kids in dressed like this are folks whose ways of thinking remind me more of commenters here at FJ than anything I've seen in VF blog land.

Well the person who objected to the shirt had better not visit an amusement park anytime soon because that sign is up at every single ride. I didn't get any untoward meaning from the shirt or the "banana" in the screen name. Good heavens. I live within a few miles of a Dick's Sporting Goods, a Hooters, and a Hummer dealership.

Archived