IGNORED

Hobby Lobby says it is a ministry and should not have to pay

doggie

Right they are a ministry they minster arts and crafts just like it says too in the bible. Next they would try to get a non profit status because they give good deals on the crap they sell.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/h ... 3198a.html

ENVER • In the most prominent challenge of its kind, Hobby Lobby Stores Inc. asked a federal appeals court Thursday for an exemption from part of the federal health care law that requires it to offer employees health coverage that includes access to the morning-after pill.

The arts-and-crafts chain, based in Oklahoma City, argued that businesses — not just the currently exempted religious groups — should be allowed to seek exception from that section of the health law if it violates their religious beliefs.

The arguments Thursday centered on the Green family, founders of Hobby Lobby Stores Inc., and a sister company, Christian booksellers Mardel Inc. An eight-judge panel peppered both sides with questions about whether the contraceptives mandate is an undue burden on the Greens’ religious belief.

Goddess, this is so damn stupid seriously you are a private company, not a Goddess damn church!

New thing Store churches. pray and pay at the same time. Shop and drop to your knees.

Hobby Lobby’s attorney argued that the Greens shouldn’t face fines for not complying with mandatory contraceptive coverage simply because their business makes a profit. The stores are a “profit-making company, yes, but also a ministry,†the attorney, Kyle Duncan, argued.

Really? Then why don't I see a cross when I drive past their store? Because all the Christian churches I drive past have crosses. And I don't see one at Hobby Lobby. Even the strip mall churches have some sort of identifying religious feature. Does Hobby Lobby hold services? I suppose they want tax-exempt status too, huh?

You know, I am a big buyer of both fine art and not-so-fine art supplies, and not once have I EVER wanted to step foot in a Hobby Lobby, even before I knew the ugly truth anything about them. Same with Chic-fil-A.

There used to be about 3 in my city; now I only find 1. Yay!

Interesting that they are so definitely a store that there is no visible marking of religion. There are two Catholic bookstores in our area that have chapels in them and do have services. In fact there are usually people praying in the chapels most of the day. I think they might be closer than Hobby Lobby to claiming a religious exemption. I shouldn't give HL any ideas though.

LOL. What a bogus claim. They do absolutely nothing religious. I've been in a Hobby Lobby before. No one worships. No one preaches. In fact, the only thing anyone affiliated with the store has ever tried to do is sell me stuff. This is going to be laughed out of court.

I've always found it weird that Hobby Lobby apparently has no issue with selling statues of the Buddha or Kwan Yin along with all their other tacky home decor. Maybe they don't realize what the figures are.

Dear Hobby Lobby,

Here's a suggestion on how you can avoid all these pesky threats to your religious beliefs. Just go out of business and start preaching on street corners instead. K?

Thank you.

hobby lobby is incorporated, isn't it?

i'd have less bother with this if it were run as a sole trader/partnership. but a company can't have %&^ religious beliefs. that's the trade off: you want the benefits of a company structure, you cease to 'be' the company. however much of your family works in management. you want it to run according to your beliefs, they you should be personally liable for everything. can't have it both ways.

What the fuck is their ministry? Providing cheap craft supplies?

I mentioned in a previous thread that Hobby Lobby is already "paying". There are stores in New York and NYS law mandates that birth control and the morning after pill be covered by health insurance.

So on top of everything else they're lying liars who tell lies.

The locally-owned, independent craft store near me is such an opposite to Hobby Lobby that it's comical. The owners donate prizes to silent auctions for the family planning clinic I am on the board for, they allowed volunteers to use their sewing workshop space for free to sew cloth exam gowns, and a couple weeks ago they were just giving away free copies of The Handmaid's Tale brought by a regular who had them leftover from World Book Night.

If Hobby Lobby is that anti-birth control, why don't the owners just sell the business and put the proceeds into a ministry?

This is absurd. A craft store isn't a ministry. I hope the judge laughs at them. I would love to read the reasoning on this.

The next time someone wants me to do something, I'm going to use "I'm a ministry!" as an excuse....

This hobby lobby stuff irritates me to no end. And you'll notice that the entire argument hinges on "corporations are people, my friend"

Someone needs to do a massive human biology lesson for the masses. Emergency contraception does.not.equal.abortion.

I hope their ignorant, money hungry butts go out of business.

Archived