IGNORED

Conservatives Screw Up Kids' Sexuality

tuckerphez

I got all excited when I saw that Amanda Marcotte wrote the article. I was going woo hoo. :dance: She does the podcast Reality Cast which I really enjoy. At times I get so angry listening while at the gym I run or bike faster. I am now going to go back and read the article. I just had to stop back in here and share how excited I was. :D

Thanks for posting the article. I'm not a Christian but Jesus didn't put as much emphasis on purity as his followers do. He seemed more concerned with helping the poor and downtrodden than policing young girls' hymens. A pledge to help others would be more in line with his teachings

I wondered what happened to the CPAC kid! Provided they're exposed to a spectrum of ideas and allowed to think for themselves, kids that smart never grow up to be right wingnuts. I'm glad to hear he's left the dark side.

Posting from my phone so i won't search for the article, but that cpac kid did an interview where he stated most of his views were parroted from faux news and conservative radio and he had since had time to form his own perspective and no longer identifies as conservative

Okay so the CPAC kid makes me wonder about what happened to that kid in the movie Jesus Camp who expressed doubt about existence of God and you could practically see the fear in all the adult faces. The looks all were like oh crap, better get him back in line.

No idea who this part of the article is quoting but anyway:

“In the midst of all the upheaval in his life, the one thing that has remained constant (‘unfortunately,’ he said) is his virginity. Interests like comic books and Star Trek aren’t exactly chick magnets (he recently tweeted about the ‘pre-anniversary of the Vulcans making first contact with Humans in 2063!’). Nor does it help that Mr. Krohn himself has written about his sexual status more than once.â€

The bolded is obnoxious. I don't particularly care for comic books or Star Trek but that doesn't mean they aren't points of commonality for, you know, women who are interested in them. Geekdom being a default male space is gradually changing, but not fast enough.

And may I just say I hate the term chick magnet.

No idea who this part of the article is quoting but anyway:

The bolded is obnoxious. I don't particularly care for comic books or Star Trek but that doesn't mean they aren't points of commonality for, you know, women who are interested in them. Geekdom being a default male space is gradually changing, but not fast enough.

And may I just say I hate the term chick magnet.

I lost my virginity to a guy with a comic book collection. We also enjoyed Star Trek.

Why is she making an Ayn Rand reference? Ayn Rand was atheist, and more of a libertarian than a social conservative.

Why is she making an Ayn Rand reference? Ayn Rand was atheist, and more of a libertarian than a social conservative.

For some weird reason, right wing Christians love Ayn Rand

Speaking of Jonathan Krohn (the CPAC kid), there was a good interview with him in last Sunday's New York Times. I thought he was an insufferable little prig 5 years ago, so it was fun to read that all of my assumptions about him were correct. Fundie, home-schooled, etc. Apparently not long after his brief moments of fame among the Conservative Elite, he began questioning everything he'd been taught so far. Then he decided he wanted to transfer from SOTDRT to his local high school so he could take AP classes and earn college credit. Thereafter he became Steve Maxwell's worst nightmare of what can happen when you allow your children to read books and mingle with outsiders--they turn into secularists and liberals! Krohn has recently dropped out of NYU, and is headed for Iraq as a journalist for a Kurdish news site.

http://goo.gl/c4zUR

For some weird reason, right wing Christians love Ayn Rand

Strange. Her philosophy is directly opposed to Christianity. She also never preached anything like sexual purity (and actually had an open affair while both she and the guy were married to other people).

Strange. Her philosophy is directly opposed to Christianity. She also never preached anything like sexual purity (and actually had an open affair while both she and the guy were married to other people).

But you see, she believes no one owes others anything--from taxes to saving a drowning person, it isn't "your" problem and the poor, lazy and incompetent drag the rest of "us" down. I expect they just skip over the bits about no god and free sex.

I always laughed when I used to describe my religion (a long list of beliefs, including ancient Greek cynic and "reformed objectivism" but at least I knew I was making a joke.)

Archived