IGNORED

Typical Fundie name ?

Marianne

How about the beautiful, feisty, nonreligious Assumpta Fitzgerald in "Ballykissangel"? The name was somewhat ironic.

I have a friend, thirty something, who is named Immacolata. Italian immigrant parents.

Funnily enough, I never watched Ballykissangel, but the character you mentioned was actually featured at the start of a FT episode when Ted had a dream about her! Dougal wakes him to offer him a peanut, and when he goes back to sleep, he is being chased by a human sized nut up a hill.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's almost impossible to give your kid a name that stands out. Everybody gets the same idea at the same time (people have researched it and no one can say when).

The trend now, with celebrities and then I guess it will trickle down, is reviving old lady names for girls, like Olive (Drew Barrymore, Isla Fisher); Matilida (Michelle Williams), Penelope (Tina Fey and one of the Kardashians), Eulala (Marcia Gay Harden),Violet (Ban Afflek and Jennifer Garner), Sadie (Christina Applegate and Adam Sandler), Marion (Matthew Broderick), Mabel, etc.

I guess it's better than Brandi Nicole and Tiffany Mykayla.

That's always somewhat on trend, though. Names tend to go through a 100 year cycle. Matilda begat Betty begat Susan begat Ashley, and now Ashley is all grown up, having never met great-grandma Matilda, so hey, it's a great quirky family name for her little baby bump. Twenty-thirty years from now we'll see an influx of Bettys and Normas and Barbaras in the nursery, and all the expectant grandmothers will cringe because those are SUCH old lady names. (The cycle might slow down a bit now that people are living longer, though. The point is, trendy people don't tend to name their kids after *living* elders.)

The whole idea of giving your kid a unique name is a bit ridiculous though. You spend all your time researching the perfect unusual name, christen your little Seraphina Isabella Smith, then the next year a celebrity couple uses it, or it's in a popular book, and suddenly your precious unique name is breaking the top 100 (Well, Seraphina's merely looking at cracking the top 1000 for the USA, but still). The alternative is to actually name your child after grandma Barbara and have them resent you for it. Or, you know, just name them something you like and not worry about it too much.

(Although yeah, check the top ten. Because it's very hard for me not to laugh when expectant moms tell me they've hit upon totally original and uncommon names for their twins, little Jacob and Sophia.)

It's almost impossible to give your kid a name that stands out. Everybody gets the same idea at the same time (people have researched it and no one can say when).

The trend now, with celebrities and then I guess it will trickle down, is reviving old lady names for girls, like Olive (Drew Barrymore, Isla Fisher); Matilida (Michelle Williams), Penelope (Tina Fey and one of the Kardashians), Eulala (Marcia Gay Harden),Violet (Ban Afflek and Jennifer Garner), Sadie (Christina Applegate and Adam Sandler), Marion (Matthew Broderick), Mabel, etc.

I kinda like the "old lady names", not because they're trendy or anything, but because specifically some names referred to colors or flowers or stones, i.e., Opal, Pearl, Violet, Olive, Ruby, Rose, and, well, I like all of those things being an artist, avid plant grower and rock collector. We don't have kids, but if we did, we both agree that we would've probably named them after colors. We definitely would not have used "Christian" names.

But it's so much more fun to name pets though, and you don't have to worry about giving them a complex!

That's always somewhat on trend, though. Names tend to go through a 100 year cycle. Matilda begat Betty begat Susan begat Ashley, and now Ashley is all grown up, having never met great-grandma Matilda, so hey, it's a great quirky family name for her little baby bump. Twenty-thirty years from now we'll see an influx of Bettys and Normas and Barbaras in the nursery, and all the expectant grandmothers will cringe because those are SUCH old lady names. (The cycle might slow down a bit now that people are living longer, though. The point is, trendy people don't tend to name their kids after *living* elders.)

The whole idea of giving your kid a unique name is a bit ridiculous though. You spend all your time researching the perfect unusual name, christen your little Seraphina Isabella Smith, then the next year a celebrity couple uses it, or it's in a popular book, and suddenly your precious unique name is breaking the top 100 (Well, Seraphina's merely looking at cracking the top 1000 for the USA, but still). The alternative is to actually name your child after grandma Barbara and have them resent you for it. Or, you know, just name them something you like and not worry about it too much.

(Although yeah, check the top ten. Because it's very hard for me not to laugh when expectant moms tell me they've hit upon totally original and uncommon names for their twins, little Jacob and Sophia.)

I had a great-grandma Matilda. When I lived with my grandma for a year after college and told her I wanted to change my name to Matilda (after the Roald Dahl character), Grandma said that she had loved her mother very much, but that was no name for a young person, and if I renamed myself Matilda (or gave a daughter that name), she would haunt me.

I still love that name-- it's got such great nicknames-- but I've promised not to use it.

With respect to Tina Fey, she did not pick out a trendy name. That kid is named after her mother. Ethnic Greeks are right royally screwed when it comes to children's names. Your first son is traditionally named after the paternal grandfather. Second son the maternal grandfather. First daughter depends on what area of Greece your family comes from, but the choices are maternal grandmother from some areas and paternal grandmother from other areas. Second daughter is whatever grandma didn't get her name on the first ballot. Pennelope is as common a name there as Meghan is here.

I have seen Veritas amongst Fundies and it seems to be given pretty equally to boys and girls. I've also seen a growing trend outside fundies naming girls Micah, which makes it really ackward when you want to give a traditional Biblical boys name to your son.

Honestly, I don't understand naming a girl Micah. I saw it for the first time about a decade ago and now I see it on a regular basis.

As for the Duggars, whether given for trends or the Bible, Jordyn is Biblica. Johannah is Biblical, though I don't recall *any* translation that spells it like that. I can't think of any of the other girls with Biblical names though. I think it's quite a stretch to get Janna out of Jannai give I'm pretty sure they would be pronounced differently. However, she was earlier in Michelle's naming career and Michelle did appear to be trying to be Biblical in her names back then, so perhaps SHE thought she was giving a Biblical name by just dropping the "i". It would be the equavilent to saying Sara is for Sarai, when at least Sarai was changed to Sarah but I could see someone not well versed in languages believing that.

Johannah is Biblical, though I don't recall *any* translation that spells it like that.

I thought Johannah is the feminine of Johan, the German form of John. And Jana is a variation of Jane (English feminine of John). SI is that how they are biblical? Anyway, they are a whole lot better than Jinger Nicole, which sounds way more like a stripper name than a fundie/biblical name to me.

I totally understand about Tina Fey.

The matchy names are cute, but I decided long ago that if I ever have twins, I will make a point to give them completely different names, and to do whatever I can to allow them to develop individually. They'll face enough pressure to be treated like a single unit from the rest of society. Maybe I'd go for something like Octavia and Jill. Or Brandon and Penelope. I don't know, just seemingly random names that have nothing to do with each other, even more different than I would give to non-twin siblings.

Mom of boy/girl twins here, and that's what I did. My two have names that are nothing alike. I don't treat them like a set, they are two very different people. They even get their own cakes on their birthday.

Even as teens, they are the best of friends. They seemingly have nothing in common, but they do everything together and genuinely get along and respect each other. It's lovely.

Mom of boy/girl twins here, and that's what I did. My two have names that are nothing alike. I don't treat them like a set, they are two very different people. They even get their own cakes on their birthday.

Even as teens, they are the best of friends. They seemingly have nothing in common, but they do everything together and genuinely get along and respect each other. It's lovely.

You do well... In an institute where I was, there was a brother and his twin sister. His name was Alexandre, her name was Alexandra. They were fusional. Parents dressed the same, same class, same activities, same nickname (Alex). They was so fusional so they were expelled fof the institute for having sex together ... They had 15 years ...

Today I spoke with the Mormon missionary who is on my street (it is a local attraction (people take the picture!)). His name is Ezekiel, and all of his brothers (families of 11 boys) have names of prophets (Isaïa, Sofonia, Jeremia, Jona, Joshua... .Please correct me if this is wrong, I have just heard and I don't understand the American accent)

I felt like being in a fantasy book. :wtf:

Honestly, I don't understand naming a girl Micah. I saw it for the first time about a decade ago and now I see it on a regular basis. on the TV show Warehouse 13 one of the main characters is named Micah.her partner calls her Mics!

Both my grandmother and my partner's have the same last name, and it's one that we love and want to use if we have a daughter. However, my grandmother, whom I hope will still be with us when we have the baby, will take some convincing. It is taboo in Ashkenazi Jewish custom to name a child after a living relative. But, I'm hoping she will roll with it because it will be a slight variation on her name.

Archived