IGNORED

Typical Fundie name ?

Marianne

This seems to be the rule for many fundies. Biblical names for the boys and Greek, virtue or trendy names for the girls. 8 of the 10 Duggar boys have biblical names. Only 2 of the 9 girls have biblical names.

:text-threadjacked: I'm so sorry, apparently this is a habit of mine. But which of the Duggar girls? Johannah, I guess, depending on the translation you use. Joy or Jana for the other?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Socially acceptable gender performance for boys is more limited; the box they're put in is more restricted. Girls can have either "traditional," feminine names or "modern," masculine or unisex ones and nobody would think twice. As well, girls are encouraged to aspire to certain traits that are coded masculine (assertiveness, sportiness, confidence, etc.), whereas boys are hardly ever encouraged to take on feminine-coded traits (passivity, demureness, etc.). Hence more parents experimenting with the names they give their daughters. A fictional girl named Taylor can be assumed to be sporty, confident, or fun; the fictional boy named Sue, subject of a Shel Silverstein poem and a Johnny Cash song, is bullied and tries to kill his father, the man who named him.

Also, what yewchapel said.

This happened with one of my sons. I gave him a name that is traditionally masculine, but not incredibly common, but also has a feminine version that was apparently extremely popular at that time -- and he ended up getting teased a lot by kids calling him the feminine version.

If I was to name kids now I would definitely research top names for both genders to make sure I didn't inadvertently end up in that sort of situation, or picking what I thought was an unusual name that has suddenly become #1 with a bazillion other kids.

:text-threadjacked: I'm so sorry, apparently this is a habit of mine. But which of the Duggar girls? Johannah, I guess, depending on the translation you use. Joy or Jana for the other?

Jana and Jordyn(Jordan).

I just want to say that I find it so enormously refreshing that we're discussing what people name their kids and nobody has rushed to chime in with "humorous anecdotes" about how they really and truly know someone who knows someone who knew a kid named Orangejello or La-a or Placenta. I like this place.

This is the most beautiful name in the world ! No, for real, it is a pleasure to have this name. It is rare, it is beautiful and has a beautiful symbol (especially for Spanish : Picasso's dove is everywhere in my room.)

I have just another stupid question : there are Duggars names that are misspelled or importable ?

Jinger is misspelled for Ginger, and Jordyn is a less traditional spelling of Jordan. I'm not sure what you mean by importable.

This is off topic, but I had to say I love your user name Verin Sedai:-) The Wheel of Time series is a fave of mine.

Thanks. :) WoT actually got me into forum-ing, way back in the day, so I like to draw on it for my handles now.

Jedidiah & Jeremiah is pretty close to tweedledum & tweedledee or Holly & Ivy or Ebony & Ivory.

Here in Spain in the past all kids should have christian names, so all girls were maria something and boys jose something, or biblical or saint names(actually this was important because people celebrated the saint day of the person, today is more celebrated the birthday tought i was happy when i was a child for having two special days instead of one). But since we are a non-confessional country and people can name the kids as they want, its hard to tell what is a fundie name today and not just a familiar or tradicional name. I see that christian fundies here tend to use more old fashioned names but some atheists use that names too, its more easy to difference them for the number of kids in the family.

I think it is, as yewchapel said, because the feminine is considered the lesser. I wonder if maybe part of it is also that boys need strong names that look good on job applications, whereas girls can have frilly names because the poor dears aren't ever going to do anything important with their lives. Obviously this is more prominent with fundies, but even in mainstream culture there's still an idea of women existing as decoration, and part of that decoration is a pretty name.

Agreed...but will I never have a President Tiffany in my lifetime?!!!

Of course, if the fundies breed their way to power, we might get a President Malachai. And his obedient First Lady Placenta.

Chiming in with the others (too numerous to quote, sorry) who say that they see a Biblical-classic-boys and trendy-frilly-girls trend. Sometimes it's Biblical-classic-boys and Biblical/virtues-girls. Either way, it really only serves to highlight the extreme unnecessary gender division: boys are for being leaders, and girls are for being pretty and/or well-behaved. A perfect example of this is the recently-posted-about Schamel family (boys- Benjamin, John, David, Job, Gabriel, Caleb. girls- Stephani (sic), Amber, Melody, Grace, Keren.)

Another trend I've noticed is families giving their youngest kids much more religious names. There's a fundie-light blog I read by a mom whose older kids have names like Parker and Ethan, and whose youngest is River Truth ("River" inspired by a hymn the mom sings in church.) See also, Raising Olives boys in order: Matthew, Carter, Colby, Nicholas, and Nathaniel Valor (called Valor).

Maybe the recent ease of communication/observation by internet has turned child naming into a holier-than-thou contest?

It would probably rock these fundies worlds if they knew enough Greek to realize that the "virtue names" they give to girls are for the most part unisex, as are almost all Greek names. So little Aletheia can also have a brother Alethos. Macaria has to share a name with Macarios. Young Charios must needs suffer the knowledge that there is more than one little Charis in pigtails, which no doubt shrinks his little nuts by 30%. His "manly" name is not exclusive to men.

American fundie males are so blessed, their parents give them names that ensure future sperm production. ;)

Jana is in the Bible? I thought both Jana and Johannah were variations on Joanna

Janna is listed on several sites about biblical names.

Jana is not a Biblical name. Searching on BibleGateway, I can't find a single reference to a Janna either, there is just a male Jannai mentioned in Luke 3:24. I don't think Jordyn is named after Jordan the place/river either, it's because it's a trendy name.

Uh yeah but that doesn't make it a Biblical name anymore than Ian is (which is the Scottish version of John). Biblical names are names that are actually in the Bible.

Jana is not a Biblical name. Searching on BibleGateway, I can't find a single reference to a Janna either, there is just a male Jannai mentioned in Luke 3:24. I don't think Jordyn is named after Jordan the place/river either, it's because it's a trendy name.

I got it from http://biblical-baby-names.com/meaning-of-janna.html.

eta: I agree with you about Jordyn's names. The same could be said about all of the Duggar children.

Somehow I think a fundie who tries to defend Janna as a Biblical name for their daughter is going to have a problem with somebody using, say, Benjamin or Joshua as a girl's name.

It would probably rock these fundies worlds if they knew enough Greek to realize that the "virtue names" they give to girls are for the most part unisex, as are almost all Greek names. So little Aletheia can also have a brother Alethos. Macaria has to share a name with Macarios. Young Charios must needs suffer the knowledge that there is more than one little Charis in pigtails, which no doubt shrinks his little nuts by 30%. His "manly" name is not exclusive to men.

American fundie males are so blessed, their parents give them names that ensure future sperm production. ;)

:laughing-rofl::laughing-rolling: Where's a spit-take smiley when you need one? :lol:

Jana is not in the Bible, but it is a feminine form of Jan (John). Johanna is in some translations of the Bible (e.g. German).

It's almost impossible to give your kid a name that stands out. Everybody gets the same idea at the same time (people have researched it and no one can say when).

The trend now, with celebrities and then I guess it will trickle down, is reviving old lady names for girls, like Olive (Drew Barrymore, Isla Fisher); Matilida (Michelle Williams), Penelope (Tina Fey and one of the Kardashians), Eulala (Marcia Gay Harden),Violet (Ban Afflek and Jennifer Garner), Sadie (Christina Applegate and Adam Sandler), Marion (Matthew Broderick), Mabel, etc.

I guess it's better than Brandi Nicole and Tiffany Mykayla.

How about the beautiful, feisty, nonreligious Assumpta Fitzgerald in "Ballykissangel"? The name was somewhat ironic.

I have a friend, thirty something, who is named Immacolata. Italian immigrant parents.

Archived