IGNORED

Typical Fundie name ?

Marianne

I have a stupid question: is there any typical fundie names ? That we often found in fundamentalist families ? Or juste type of names (biblical ? Old ?) ? Some names that when you hear you say, "oh, this family must be fundamentalists !"

Here, for the traditionalist Catholic families, it can be recognized with :

* the names compounds Marie (Mary) + often and old name (or old name + Marie (Mary) for boys) like : Marie-Jeanne (Mary Johanna : St Johanna of Arc is very popular), Marie-Marguerite (Mary Margaret), Marie-Louise, etc... or Louis-Marie (Louis Mary), Pierre-Marie (Peter-Mary), Jean-Marie (John-Mary), etc...

*It is often old name or very classic name (Antoine, Gabriel, Pierre, Marie, Benoît, Agnes, Faustine, etc... ). Often counpound strange names (Charles-Joseph ? Clothilde-Lucie ? Why ???)

* There are some names that are very typical and rare :Domitille, Augustine, Brieuc Tancred, etc ...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Calvinist Protestant fundies (obviously Mormon fundies or Jewish fundies etc do things differently!) often use the names of leading Reformation figures, especially VF people. Calvin, Cromwell, Knox etc. Protestant fundies also tend to use the more unusual New Testament names like Priscilla and Damaris as well as Old Testament names, but Old Testament names are also popular with hipsters ;)

So....what is the explanation for much of the Vision Forum ilk becuase they seem to be intent upon revive a whole genre of 17th century Puritan names single-handedly.

(FTR, I like OT prophet names for boys. They just seem to be classic and strong and most blend fairly well as mainstream, although there's always a Hezzekiah to throw a loop in that theory too.)

Haha, the Vision Forum people love the 17th century Puritan names but I've seen Josiahs and Elijahs in actually pretty mainstream churches. VF-ers tend to be noticeable by having 10 kids with 17th century names, not 3.

There's also the Duggar theme naming, which just strips their kids of a little bit more individuality. AFAIK the Duggars are the only fundies who take it to that extreme, though.

There seem to be a LOT of Sarahs.

Sarah's a pretty popular mainstream name, which probably accounts for some of its popularity. Then there's the fact that Sarah in the Bible is the woman that wants to be pregnant but is too old so God performs some godly miracle and makes her pregnant, which would certainly endear her to fundies.

Sarah's a pretty popular mainstream name, which probably accounts for some of its popularity. Then there's the fact that Sarah in the Bible is the woman that wants to be pregnant but is too old so God performs some godly miracle and makes her pregnant, which would certainly endear her to fundies.

That just made me think of Sarah Maxwell. Maybe Steve is hoping to make her the next D2 with a miracle baby?

Haha, the Vision Forum people love the 17th century Puritan names but I've seen Josiahs and Elijahs in actually pretty mainstream churches. VF-ers tend to be noticeable by having 10 kids with 17th century names, not 3.

Elijah is actually a top-20 boys' baby name in the US as a whole right now. Josiah, not so much...

* the names compounds Marie (Mary) + often and old name (or old name + Marie (Mary) for boys) like : Marie-Jeanne (Mary Johanna : St Johanna of Arc is very popular), .

The English form of Jeanne is Joan, so we usually call her "St. Joan of Arc"... Johanna is the German version of Jeanne/Joan, though it's often used nowadays in English speaking countries for baby names (i.e. Johannah Duggar).

I hope you don't take this as snark, it's not meant to be. I just thought you might find it interesting.

Hebrew names are popular--either with more exotic spelling than the more common versions (Rebekah instead of Rebecca) or finding really obscure ones. The worst I've seen was the fundie who named her daughter Naphtalie. This is a travesty for the following reasons:

1. Naphtali is a boys name.

2. In Hebrew, the correct feminine versions would be Naphtalit or Naphtalah. Rare, but still correct.

3. This fundie tried to make the name feminine by adding the French "ie" ending to a Hebrew name.

What about Nevaeh (Heaven, backward)? I'm in CA and haven't met anyone who called their kid that, but the name pops up in news articles sometimes... I wasn't sure if it was a 'fundie' name or just one that was popular in the midwest/bible belt but not the west coast?

Not necessarily on their own, but if you see a bunch of siblings named Anna, Sarah, Priscilla, Mary, Esther, Isaiah, Seth, David, Daniel, Nehemiah...

What about Nevaeh (Heaven, backward)? I'm in CA and haven't met anyone who called their kid that, but the name pops up in news articles sometimes... I wasn't sure if it was a 'fundie' name or just one that was popular in the midwest/bible belt but not the west coast?

I've never met a fundie Nevaeh. However, judging by Facebook, it is a popular name among the children of my high school classmates, who by and large are working-class Midwesterners. (Personally, I am not a fan.)

Anna and Sarah are givens, and there are also a lot of Rebeccas--but these names are all pretty common among non-fundies, too. Esther, Josiah, Caleb, Miriam, and Bethany seem to be more fundie-specific. A name I've seen only among fundies is Alatheia (not sure I spelled that right).

It was more popular around here among young parents that were of a lower socio-economic class. It seems to have died down a bit in the last few years.

My guess it that it depends on the flavor of the fundie family:

There are the Victorians, the Puritans, and whatever favored historical time period.

There are the Biblicists- only names found in the KJV Bible.

And there are the fake Jews (names chosen because they sound Jewish, but in fact not really Hebrew. A girl might be named Shoshannah, but never Orli).

Regarding Calvinist Protestant fundies (obviously Mormon fundies or Jewish fundies etc do things differently!) often use the names of leading Reformation figures, especially VF people. Calvin, Cromwell, Knox etc. Protestant fundies also tend to use the more unusual New Testament names like Priscilla and Damaris as well as Old Testament names, but Old Testament names are also popular with hipsters ;)

Calvin Harris????? Scottish, makes sense.

To FJers interested in the popularity of names, a really handy site for US baby name data is the Social Security Administration website: http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/ You can see the top 1000 names given to babies each year, top names given to babies in each state, track the popularity of individual names or see the 200 most popular names per decade. For someone interested in the study of names it's a fascinating resource.

The data there confirms that biblical male names are very 'in' at the moment, but biblical female names less so.

I don't know about regional popularity, but for the nation as a whole 'Nevaeh' was the 35th most popular name given to female babies in the US in 2011. It was 25th in 2010, 34th in 2008 and 2009, 31st in 2007, 43rd in 2006 and 69th in 2005. Before that it wasn't in the top 100.

Elijah is actually a top-20 boys' baby name in the US as a whole right now. Josiah, not so much...

I wonder if some of the popularity of Elijah might be due to Elijah Wood playing Frodo in the Lord of the Rings films.

People comment that my kids have "good, strong Bible names" quite a bit but I'm not fundie, I just like them (their names)lol.

I knew an Alethia growing up (Baptist family. Not fundie exactly but smug, assholish "Im better than you!" for sure.). I know a Nevaeh now (family definitely not fundies, lmao. It shocked me that they named her that!)and a couple of people who like the name but haven't had a kid to bestow it on yet. Then a couple from HS that did name their daughters that but I don't keep in touch. I thought it was kinda neat when Sonny said what his daughter's name is umpteen years ago but daaaaaamn did it get popular!

Triplet 3, I looked up my given name a few years ago on the Social Security Index and found out that less than 300 baby girls had been given my name in the entire country the previous year. It was in the Top Ten in the Fifties.

Archived