IGNORED

What happened to Olivia's latest post?

longskirts

Earlier today Olivia had a new post up called "Depravity in Blue". It looked like most of her other Sunday outfit posts: pic of what she wore to church, summary of her pastor's sermon. Now it's been taken down. Any ideas why?

Guest Anonymous

Well, it's not entirely unthinkable that she has seen some unsavoury google searches leading people to her site? Or had a tip-off from someone less naive that this could be the case.

I saw the pictures and didn't really read. I skimmed enough to see that the sermon topic was depraved human nature (a common enough theme on fundie blogs); hence the post title. I didn't see anything unusual, but then I didn't read so closely.

The only other time I remember her pulling a post was the purple dress that lots of people said was immodest.

This is ever so slightly off topic (and shallow) but I really don't like the hats she wears with a lot of her outfits! They never seem to go with what she is wearing. From what I gather her family's church requires the women to cover their heads for services but if I were her I would prefer cute scarves.

This is what is in my reader. I don't see why she would pull it.

Hey y'all! How are you doing today? As usual, my Lord's Day this week was filled with blessings and enjoyable times. The sermon yesterday was *so* powerful and I'm so thankful for a pastor who isn't worried about making someone feel bad when it comes to recognizing our sin. I took a front and back notebook page of notes (I usually only do half a page) so summarizing is going to be difficult! It was so, so, so convicting for me to hear and I hope you'll be encouraged by it too. :)

Our passage was Romans 3:5-20, which is probably the most stinging indictment of human nature in all of Scripture. We. are. depraved. and we don't like to hear the truth about how sinful we are. We will fight it to the core but we must understand this first step of the gospel before we can truly be saved. Paul is answering the human-nature driven questions his readers may have from the previous passage about every man's falleness, Jew or Gentile.

Verses 5-6: "But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust who inflicts wrath? (I speak as a man.)" In struggling against God's righteous judgment we ask how can God judge me if my life is being used to glorify Him? If I'm helping God out by furthering His purposes, albeit while sinning, how can he inflict His wrath on me, the instrument? Vs 7-8: "For if the truth of God has increased through my lie to His glory, why am I also still judged as a sinner? And why not say, “Let us do evil that good may come�" Paul says, "Your logic is so skewed! You are always twisting and turning the guilt of the sin away from yourself and putting it on someone else!" He takes this argument to it's logical end and answers the fool according to his folly by saying(vs 6), "For then how will God judge the world?" If we apply this standard of "Someone else made me do it, I had to because of such and such, it's my parents fault they didn't raise me right, if my environment had just been different (for philosophy students, Freudian thinking), etc" then we have to apply it to everyone in the world. But we all know someone (obviously ourselves, but we're thinking we're an exception to this right now) who is obviously very guilty and we know it was their fault they sinned. We aren't willing to say that person shouldn't be blamed and punished and that helps us understand we aren't any different from them.

Deception is making ourselves out to be an exception. The "yes, buts" and whitewashing of our sins is our whole problem. We are always thinking ourselves better than others (especially true for us good homeschooled kids). Paul goes on to demonstrate from the Old Testament (so this ain't new stuff he's preachin') that sin reigns (Romans 6:12), has dominion (6:14), and that we are slaves to it (6:20) before we are saved.

(I'm not going to paste the passage in here, but grab your Bible to follow along if you wish)

Verses 10-12 of chapter 3 reveal man's general character and conduct - there is none righteous, no not one. Human nature is so depraved we don't even seek God without Him first doing a work in us. No one tries to reach God in his fallen state. Sin reigns in our lives and we do nothing truely good.

Verse 13-14 addresses our speech. "Out of the heart the mouth speaks". Unregenerate, we are all influencing each other to not seek God. "Their throat is an open tomb"- a pit of death to fall into. 13b says the speech of the unbelieving is like venom, slowly poisoning it's listeners. We must be aware of how much the world is speaking to us and not allow it to influence us away from seeking God.

Verses 15-17 discusses the philosophies of depraved man. There are thousands of false theologies and wrong thinkings, all bent against God. Until you beat. your. chest. and realize it is you in your very core who is guilty for your sins, not your environment, or someone else, you have not been to the foot of the Cross. We must know our guilt.

We must have a fear of God, verse 18, and dread His displeasure. (Have a whole 'nother three points on this, but I don't want to make this too long.)

There are basically three views to the problems humanity has- 1) Palaginism, nothing is really wrong because man is basically good- 2) Man is basically sick and can be cured from within. Whatever is wrong with him the right in him can cure- and 3) Man is dead. Not flopping in the ocean waiting to be saved, able to be thrown a life-preserver that he just has to grab, but sunk to the bottom of the ocean, lungs filled with water, all life gone and completely dead. This last one is total depravity.

Verse 19, "Now we know...that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God." There are no exceptions, no cover-ups for guilt when it comes to transgressing the Word of God. Paul says to just stop talking and stand in guilty silence. Stop working to earn your salvation-- it won't do anything, even in a saved state. Stop trying to show how good you are-- there is no credit in you. We have no power in ourselves at all. And we continue to make excuse after excuse! We must acknowledge the truth about ourselves if we are to begin to understand the grace that Christ has given us. I don't know about you, but I need to let that sink in for a good long while, and pray for mercy to get it.

Yesterday after church we attended a beautiful Choral concert in town. Such a pleasant afternoon and these pictures were taken at nearly 6pm- gotta love day light savings time! I love this skirt and have worn it many times here on the blog before. Today I chose to pair it with light blue since that was the only tank I had clean. :P I wore super sparkly light blue and gold earrings to tie the light yellow of my skirt and blue together.

I skimmed it earlier, but all the Bible-thumping was making me cross-eyed, so I didn't scour the content at all. Three guesses I have:

1. She got some point of the theology wrong, and DaddySir freaked out and made her pull it so she didn't lead the sheep over the cliff with the wrong ideas.

2. The back of the dress looked very odd, like it had most of the back cut out and she had on a tank top underneath. Someone might have suggested that it looked immodest. I never saw any comments on the post.

3. Titling her post "Depravity..." and whatever else she had, is not going to go unnoticed by the unholy masses. She likely got some interesting comments that had nothing at all to do with the Bible interpretation, and DaddySir had to have an embarrassing conversation about what the rest of us think when we see the word "depravity."

Wonder if she'll address what happened?? Her commenters usually notice the minutiae of her life and speak up; they don't seem to be especially busy people.

ThatSnark- She's said her dad reads before she posts, so I don't think it's 1). Any problems should have been caught in the proofread stage. And she's worn tops like that a bunch of times before, so I don't think it's 2) either. She even has a tutorial to make one on her sewing blog.

Maybe you're right about 3). I'd think it's easy to just change the title and keep the post up, but maybe she panicked and pulled the whole thing?

Longskirts-- I'd forgotten that DaddySir reads before she posts, so surely he would have caught something that was off. I'll go with door number three, then; she got unprintable and unmentionable comments and decided to yank the whole thing, or her dad intercepted comments and was horrified. I'd guess he'd have her pull the whole thing, since they may not even realize what in her post would bring in weird comments.

My mind doesn't usually think Bible when I see the word depravity. I was surprised when that title popped up in my reader and wasn't a juicy tell-all! :lol:

The post is visible for me, pictures and all.

Some of her hats don't really look like churchwear to me, even for a young person, and she really needs to hem those long skirts of hers.

The entry is online now, don't know why she postponed it!

What makes me sad is this quote from her pinterest: pinterest.com/pin/186899453256818250/

omg she is so young and those aren't even her children...

Oh, Olivia, you rotten tease: I got all excited to see her high-necked cami (a gift from a company wanting exposure, you should pardon the expression) and went over to see the website. Alas, their largest size is "2xL," equating to a 16-18 in traditional sizes. And here I wear a 20.

modesty4me.com/category_s/83.htm

Hey, modesty4me: Sone old ladies with a few extra pounds like their chestal regions covered up, too! *sigh* The website says their clothes are good for Apostolic and Pentecostal ladies. That's the heck of being a Luutheran and plump, I suppose. ;)

The post is visible for me, pictures and all.

Some of her hats don't really look like churchwear to me, even for a young person, and she really needs to hem those long skirts of hers.

Yep, the post is back up, and it doesn't look any different from the first time it was up. Whatever.

I don't get the headwear at all. I'm familiar with the Bible bit about covering in church, and remember an ex-boyfriend's grandmother wearing a beautiful lace mantilla to go to Mass. It covered her hair entirely and was a liturgical piece for her, in that it only went to church and got put away the rest of the time. It also covered her hair, which is what the Bible says, right? I also remember that teaching being for married women only, and for head covering to be in submission to a husband. I have Dutch Reformed people in my family, and they cover as well, with a scarf-type thing that covers the hair. Again, it's just for church, it looks church-y, and it's just for married women in that church.

Sigh. All the legalism. Thanks a lot, Apostle Paul. Jesus didn't screw with people's heads like that.

Yep, the post is back up, and it doesn't look any different from the first time it was up. Whatever.

I don't get the headwear at all. I'm familiar with the Bible bit about covering in church, and remember an ex-boyfriend's grandmother wearing a beautiful lace mantilla to go to Mass. It covered her hair entirely and was a liturgical piece for her, in that it only went to church and got put away the rest of the time. It also covered her hair, which is what the Bible says, right? I also remember that teaching being for married women only, and for head covering to be in submission to a husband. I have Dutch Reformed people in my family, and they cover as well, with a scarf-type thing that covers the hair. Again, it's just for church, it looks church-y, and it's just for married women in that church.

Sigh. All the legalism. Thanks a lot, Apostle Paul. Jesus didn't screw with people's heads like that.

Paul wasn't even speaking to women in general, but only women in the Corinthian church! It was because then only prostitutes had uncovered heads in public (which is why art of Mary Magdalene usually portrays her with loose hair), and because some of the Corinthian church had been involved with temple prostitution, Paul didn't want outsiders to think they were still part of that.

Archived