IGNORED

Kim from LiaS didn't register her older kid's births

lilith

Yes, its true. She is very uncompromising. But yeah, I am preoccupied with the faux victoriana, it really annoys me, all the harking back to some asinine historical fantasy totally overlooking the harshness and sexual candour of those times. It annoys me so much I may be overlooking some of Kim's biblically based brutalities.

I think the main reasons the LiaS girls haven't been forced to be such "girly girls" as the average VF daughter is simply because Kim had so damn many of them before she had a son. They were living out in the country and Kim let them run wild to some extent while she was indoors with the babies.

The girls were still expected to cook, clean, sew and care for their siblings, and Kim is even more into patriarchy and unquestioning wifely submission than most fundy women, she just doesn't dress it up in faux Victoriana and talk about it constantly. When it comes up she is very firm about it.

I think this has to do with them being second generation. They are like hipster fundies...they were into wifely submission before it was a thing. They arrived at vision forum by way of poor-country-redneckism, and that plays out in how they live their daily lives. It makes them distinct from Dougie and his costume parties, and they are too busy trying to survive to spend too much time hankering for the good old days (that never were).

I do feel like they'd be different (and better off) if they'd never found VF. They'd probably live much the same way, but Perry might be more tolerable if he didn't have access to wealthier and more educated men to help him validate his douchebag opinions.

WTF? Just when I think fundies can't surprise me, they freakin surprise me.

Why don't they just go full-on Puritan and have a guy go up and down the isle whacking anyone who isn't paying attention with a stick. Oh, that's right, cause then the headships would have to taste their own medicine.

Here's another delightful comment:

if they are up wandering around we take them back to bed and tell them to stay in bed…sometimes with a smack on the backside (though for potty trained kids, they may use the bathroom). If they persist, we say “okay, I guess I have to hold you here.†THen proceed to tuck them in and then hold them in bed. Not cruelly, but firmly enough so they have to stay lying down…warning: they will fight, cry, push and try to kick etc…be prepared for it and ignore it…just hold firmer…it may take five minutes, it may take 30 minutes…most children would rather be free to move around in bed and have to stay there, than have mommy or daddy holding them in place…Yes, this is a pain…but so is losing sleep every night…Do this for a week…and be consistent. If they aren’t fighting you a gentle hand on the back is all that is needed…yes, you might feel a little bit mean…but less than after 6 straight weeks of no sleep…It worked for all of ours…and the worse we deal with now is a toddler who needs diaper changes in the night because he tends toward diaper rash very easily if he is left wet all night….and they know that if it is dark out, they must stay in bed…and except for the rare morning snuggle, they do.
inashoe.com/2013/02/free-baby-stuff-just-pay-shipping/#comments

Her newish Blogger post about the mourning of her now missing and broken Pyrex and Tupper ware lid, is this because she can't afford to replace them or is hoping for a donation or what? Because I break something in my kitchen, I clean it up and go about my business.

Her newish Blogger post about the mourning of her now missing and broken Pyrex and Tupper ware lid, is this because she can't afford to replace them or is hoping for a donation or what? Because I break something in my kitchen, I clean it up and go about my business.

I don't think the Coghlans are struggling financially as much as they used to. They have bought a much bigger and much nicer house in town, they and the older girls have kindles and smartphones, they seem to be doing ok. Maybe Dougie gave Perry a raise now he finally has sons to support. And Kim's blog is monetised, and she's pushing VF merchandise with every single fucking post, she must get something from that.

I'm sure they can afford to replace a Pyrex dish and a Tupperware container, she just wanted to brag about how long she's had them (thrifty!) and how she really really needs them cause she's constantly baking for her mega family like a good QF helpmeet.

this not so odd to me.we have a big plastic bowl that is about twenty years old and a cheap plastic colander almost as old. my mother calls them her antiques and is very attached to them.

I don't know if not registering the birth is terribly scandalous, just seems rather lazy, although some countries will fine you for this. I do think that conspiracy theories abound with regard to registering births, something to do with the fact that once we are registred we become corporate entities, that we are basically owned by banks. I don't know if lias believe in that kind of thing but many fundamentalists do. I know of a group who homebirth and refuse to register ie child never appears on any government register of any kind.

The problem with not registering the birth comes later after the child reaches adulthood and can't get any official documents (like a driver's license, passport or SSN- which in turn means no real job). Since the child doesn't officially exist in the eyes of the government they can't qualify for government aid or benefits- they are essentially forced to live off the grid until they can come up with enough documentation to get a birth certificate. We already discussed it here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14677&p=456134&hilit=birth+certificate#p456022

I don't know if not registering the birth is terribly scandalous, just seems rather lazy, although some countries will fine you for this.

The thing is, in 2013, in the world we live in, if you don't register a kid (with WHATEVER system is local to your own citizenship) it's just such a huge pain in the ass for kid when the kid grows up, that it's a cruelty to the kid, fines OR not. In the US that would mean you don't need to get them an SSN (if you're not planning to claim them as a dependent on your taxes) but PLEASE, come on, get them a proper birth certificate, with that they can get the SSN whenever they want as adults if they want to get real jobs.

There are horror stories about adults who have to go to elaborate lengths to set up identity when they hit 20 because their parents never put them on the family register (in Japan), similar deal.

I know, they're then "in the system" but... I think the benefits outweigh any issues.

I think this has to do with them being second generation.

They ARE interesting for being one of the few examples of second-generation people still living this lifestyle.

Considering the discipline methods used by so many of these people and the extreme censorship that goes on, I'm amazed that anyone would come out of it even willing to talk to their parents, quite frankly. Then again, I was a stubborn kid.

this not so odd to me.we have a big plastic bowl that is about twenty years old and a cheap plastic colander almost as old. my mother calls them her antiques and is very attached to them.

Yeah. I had a moment a few days ago realizing that my "new" noodle bowl (has "Chibi Maruko-chan" on it, cheap from the supermarket long before I moved here) is 20+ years old now! (I think that supermarket has even gone out of business.) If it broke I'd mourn it maybe :) You just get used to stuff! But I'd live, surely.

Pyrex though, I have other mixing bowls that I inherited from older relatives and the ones from the 40's and such can be more valuable than I thought. I was surprised to find anyone impressed to see it in my house - but, maybe it's not such a fad in the US, I don't know, but some friends of mine were making $$$ buying stuff cheap at US flea markets and selling on the internet. I kept my bowls though!

The problem with not registering the birth comes later after the child reaches adulthood and can't get any official documents (like a driver's license, passport or SSN- which in turn means no real job). Since the child doesn't officially exist in the eyes of the government they can't qualify for government aid or benefits- they are essentially forced to live off the grid until they can come up with enough documentation to get a birth certificate. We already discussed it here: http://www.freejinger.org/forums/viewto ... te#p456022

Sure, and also if you are born at home, never get medical care, attend school etc etc you can die or disappear without anyone ever knowing. I don't know how I feel about that, knowing some families, it's probably a terrible idea.

However, Kim did get her children's eventually, probably as a post above said, for tax purposes.

IRS may gave started requiring SSNs in the late 1950s or early 60s because that's when I received mine (as a kid) - still have the original SSN card, complete with my 3rd or 4th grade signature.

Mine has my kid signature, too!

Here, you register your baby's birth ASAP because once you register, you start receiving child benefit. Then a few weeks later, you'll get your kid's pps number. You need it for EVERYTHING. To enroll them in school, to get vaccinations, to access public hospital services etc.

I was born in Or in '78.My youngest brother was born in ND in'83,the yr I started school.Apparently I didnt have a SS# yet because my brother&I got them at the samr time.We consecutive #'s from ND.I always find that odd,since I wasnt born there.I dont think it was required yet,but I do think it was lazy to wait until I had to be registered for school.When I had my kids I had to fill out the birth cert.s in the hosp.,&they gave me a form for the SS#that HAD to be sent in within 30 days.I guess its different when u home birth?idk...it shouldnt be.

Here, you register your baby's birth ASAP because once you register, you start receiving child benefit. Then a few weeks later, you'll get your kid's pps number. You need it for EVERYTHING. To enroll them in school, to get vaccinations, to access public hospital services etc.

Oh, you civilized people with your "child benefit" and your "public health services".

I didn't get my SSN until I was 5 when my little sister was born, so I also have a SSN that doesn't reflect where I was born! (we were a Navy family that moved around). Soon after I was born we were transferred overseas, so I think my parents just waited until we returned to the US.

Isn't it difficult (or impossible) to bank/invest/have a mortgage/get a passport without one?

I agree that KimC is far from "normal" although I do enjoy her blog partly because her writing skills far surpass those of most other fundies. I hope that her daughter Deanna is enjoying a less fundy married life. Every day that goes by that KimC doesn't announce she's going to become a grandmother is a good one!

Archived