IGNORED

Three sisters in India - Brutal

znthahmed378

http://www.examiner.com/article/three-s ... id-nothing

I'm not breaking the link because it's from the Examiner.

Stories like this infuriate and sadden me at the same time. What makes me furious is that the police did nothing for two fucking days after this happened. They're young girls. This shouldn't have happened to them. It shouldn't happen to anyone.

You'd think they'd learn their lesson by now, especially after gang-rape incident on the bus gained international outrage. And it looks like this will, too, especially after the girls' mother blocked a highway to the village where the three sisters were killed. I'm happy about that, at least.

India is like no other place I have ever been to. When we were driving in New Delhi, there was a man face down in the middle of the road. No one stopped to help him. The cars simply swerved around him while he lay there struggling to breath. I wanted to stop and help him. I had never seen anything like it. The taxi driver flat out refused to stop. He said it was dangerous to stop. I asked how could the man be helped. He said the man would not be helped. If ANYONE touched that man before he was truly dead, they could be charged with contributing to his death. So, no one would go near him until they were absolutely certain he was dead. Only then would they drag his body off the busy road and continue as if it never happened.

I had been told before I traveled to India that it was a very hard country to experience, some of the most amazing beauty in the world, and some of the toughest depravity issues. That incident was only one of many similiar things I saw in just a few days in the country.

I'm not condoning what is happening in India. I just think it's going to take a LOT more efforts like the Pink Sari Gang http://www.gulabigang.in/ to force cultural changes and better protection of women and poor people in the country. I think what shocks our senses is deeply entrenched in the culture and must be rooted out from the bottom up.

That must have been overwhelmingly awful, chaotic life. Even though the caste system was outlawed, it is still around. That man you saw was probably a Dalit, an untouchable. I understand the culture shock you went through. I felt the same way when I went to Bangladesh for the first time six years ago. My family and I are not rich, but ever since that trip I have been more thankful for what we do have.

Archived