IGNORED

The Academy Awards

crazyforkate

So, I'm a total Academy Awards nerd. On that one Sunday night every year, the world stops and I am unreachable for several hours. For months I plan out my predictions, my wishes, everything - for me, it's better than every holiday and special occasion put together. Because I am a NERD :D

It seems like an unusually open year, probably due to the early nominations, and Director, Actress and Supporting Actor all have room for an upset (Spielberg/Lee/Haneke, Lawrence/Riva, and Jones/Waltz respectively), though Argo, Day-Lewis and Hathaway are pretty much locks. My pick (Skyfall) didn't even get nominated, and my pick of the nominees (Beasts of the Southern Wild) hasn't a hope. I must admit I don't get the fuss about Argo, but it was decent. Still puzzled that they didn't nominate Affleck in Director if they liked the movie so much. What are your picks? Who got snubbed? Who do you think will win?

I'll be watching, even though this is another year in which I've seen hardly any of the movies that got nominations. I think Lincoln might be about it this year for me.

I'm mostly looking forward to Seth McFarlane hosting. I have a serious crush on him.

Oh, me too! I'm hoping he doesn't play it safe. Hollywood needs a good jab or two sometimes!

Oh, me too! I'm hoping he doesn't play it safe. Hollywood needs a good jab or two sometimes!

He's the only reason I'll be watching ... I confess however to just punching up "record" for the E! channel red carpet interviews. I do love to see the pretty/what-were-they-thinking range of evening gowns the ladies wear.

Please know, I"m not trying to be a jerk -- I haven't been to the movies in ... *blushing* 2 years?!

Unfortunately, I don't think is he doing so hot. That opening was sooo boring.

So true. I wish McFarlane had been more daring. Oh well. And I'm happy for the winners, though still annoyed about Argo.

I don't really follow movies enough to care about most of the awards, but I checked in every so often. Main thing I kept thinking: Quvenzhane Wallis was pretty much the cutest thing ever! And she seems like such a sweet, awesome kid. I really hope she gets more roles, but also is able to have a normal childhood and not suffer from the issues some child stars suffer from later.

For personal reasons, I'm very pleased that Argo won. That first half an hour or so was some of the scariest stuff I've ever seen on film- I remember sitting in the theater thinking that my heart was going to burst out of my chest, and I already knew the rescue story that the movie's based on! I know that Affleck altered some facts in the name of drama (and can't help but feel a bit sorry for the Brits and the Kiwis, who did in fact help the American diplomats in their escape), but it was a fantastic movie.

Hugh Jackman was fantastic as always; I was really pulling for him, but I didn't think he had a very realistic shot against Daniel Day Lewis. And while it was all very Tony-esque, hats off to Catherine Zeta-Jones- I couldn't do that now, let alone when I'm fifty.

Also, the "the Jews secretly control Hollywood" jokes? Not funny. The John Wilkes-Booth joke was stupid, too, if only because I've heard it before, and it's not like I spend a lot of time listening to jokes about assassinated presidents. On the other hand, the Von Trapp Family Singers joke cracked me up.

I love that Brave one AND the producer accepted in a kilt. VF is going to have a field day with that.

I think I can hear their keyboards clacking now -- and I'm a good 500 miles away from 'em! :lol:

I agree with others, VF will complain about the kilt. I'm happy that Anne Hathaway won. I also predict some fundies will blog about Daniel Day Lewis' win.

I also think VF is already complaining about the kilt, and I'm glad that Anne Hathaway and Daniel Day Lewis both won. I think some fundies are already upset that the First Lady announced the Best Picture winner, because she's Mrs. Obama and had her shoulders and collarbone showing. Personally, I was hoping Les Miserables or Lincoln would win Best Picture, but Argo was considered the favorite as it won every other Best Picture award.

Okay, Canadian here, but I really thought Argo distorted history in a bad way. Good movie, but not happy with its win. And I think that the Michelle Obama with the soldiers thing just smacked of militarism and - well, it was kind of creepy. For the most part I was happy with the acting wins (Wallis and Riva, I will avenge thee!), and THRILLED with Skyfall's win.

As for MacFarlane? I thought he was pretty okay. Not too great, not too bad. I wouldn't have him back, but he was all right for one year. I agree with Shatner - can we please get Tina and Amy to host it?

What do people think of this woman's anti-MacFarlane rant? Part of me wants to tell her to grow a sense of humor, part of me thinks she does have a point. But really, expecting the Oscars to be family friendly is kind of stupid.

chicagonow.com/portrait-of-an-adoption/2013/02/why-is-there-a-whole-song-about-girls-showing-their-boobs-in-movies/

Okay, Canadian here, but I really thought Argo distorted history in a bad way. Good movie, but not happy with its win. And I think that the Michelle Obama with the soldiers thing just smacked of militarism and - well, it was kind of creepy. For the most part I was happy with the acting wins (Wallis and Riva, I will avenge thee!), and THRILLED with Skyfall's win.

As for MacFarlane? I thought he was pretty okay. Not too great, not too bad. I wouldn't have him back, but he was all right for one year. I agree with Shatner - can we please get Tina and Amy to host it?

What do people think of this woman's anti-MacFarlane rant? Part of me wants to tell her to grow a sense of humor, part of me thinks she does have a point. But really, expecting the Oscars to be family friendly is kind of stupid.

chicagonow.com/portrait-of-an-adoption/2013/02/why-is-there-a-whole-song-about-girls-showing-their-boobs-in-movies/

I don't like Mrs. Obama in any way and won't watch her part in the show-- surprised that she appeared with troops. Hm. Over on QFoSnark, there's a whole thread angry about the misogyny of MacFarlane's shtik. I personally thought the boobs song was funny and satirical and had a good deal to say about how fixated we've become in the USA on the female nipple, whilst letting men of every size, shape and hirsutity (hirsuteness?) run around top-naked at will.

I personally thought the boobs song was funny and satirical and had a good deal to say about how fixated we've become in the USA on the female nipple, whilst letting men of every size, shape and hirsutity (hirsuteness?) run around top-naked at will.

For real? Fine if that's your read, but IMO that is an absolutely massive reach.

I mean, yes, we are culturally fixated on women's bodies. But the song itself is not a critique of that, it's a symptom of that.

For real? Fine if that's your read, but IMO that is an absolutely massive reach.

I mean, yes, we are culturally fixated on women's bodies. But the song itself is not a critique of that, it's a symptom of that.

To me, the fact of the song is a comment on the fixation. "Ignore everything else the women have done, talk about the films in which they appear topless, if but for a few seconds."

For me, it wasn't a reach at all - it was right there. That's the interesting thing about mileage - it varies. :)

That honestly... baffles me. There is no comment within the material on the fixation, it simply IS the fixation presented. I think we're going beyond YMMV :P

Archived