IGNORED

Costume making

duplessis3

Yay for fellow costume makers!

The beard looks good.

My gray plaid fabric has been shipped so I can get started on the female Edmund Reid costume sometime soon. :D

post-282-14451996038249_thumb.jpgpost-282-14451996038249_thumb.jpgHere's the Gimli costume I made - i made the beard, the helmet, the "chain mail" (weaved on a round loom", fur vest and the gaunlets. My husband made the double ax.

Claddagh, I am hoping you post some of yours!!!

post-282-14451996038366_thumb.jpg

post-282-14451996038475_thumb.jpg

That's really nice looking. :)

Yay for LOTR costumes!

I do intend to post a few of my costumes. The weather has been rather poor lately for photography so I have to wait for it to clear.

If all goes well I should be getting my plaid fabric by Friday or Saturday so I'm happy about that.

Can't wait! It's okay - he was very pleased so that's what counts. He didnt want another beard to spirit gum on because spirit gum gives him a rash. Vinyl is a bitch and a half to paint on.

I tried using vinyl paint once and thought "Nope, not doing that again."

I got my gray plaid fabric in the mail yesterday. Let there be yay! Now I just have to pick up a bustle pattern and some lining fabric for the top and bustle.

I can wait to see it. My youngest (the beardy guy up there) has just told me he doesn't want to be a dwarf for Festlavns but isn't sure what...although if he decides to be Bilbo,he has to have a red cardigan. I'm trying to think of how to make the hairy feet...

Slowly but surely it'll get there! Fortunately for Brother Claddagh, we can find much of his needed stuff at a thrift store.

I'm trying to think of how to make the hairy feet...

Have you checked out this site? They have a small section on how to make hobbit feet for kids.

alleycatscratch.com/lotr/makingem/Makeup/HobbitFeet.htm

Here's two of mine. My dress form has a smaller bust measurement than I do so I need to get some stretchy fabric, some quilter's batting, and remedy that situation.

I copied a real Regency era dress for this. The dress itself is circa 1815-1820 and I used a large print as they were still more or less using large prints back then.

regencyfj.jpg

I like my Downton Abbey dress.

dafj.jpg

dafj2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This one was a custom piece I did for a lady in the UK. It needs to be ironed but she said she wanted to do that herself.

The dress is too big for my dress form so it doesn't hang correctly.

She wants to be Mrs. Patmore for an event next year.

post-3409-14451997167947_thumb.jpg

You make really beautiful costumes, Claddagh. And I knew it was Mrs. Patmore as soon as I saw it.

Haven't done much costume making myself but here's the Harry Potter robe that I did a few years ago. Took a pattern for an LOTR robe and modified it.

post-2244-14451997171002_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the kind words. :) Lots and lots of practice. Grandma taught me how to sew when I was eleven.

Nice about the HP robe. :) I've heard of other folks also modifying the robes to make HP costumes with.

post-282-14451997176797_thumb.jpgToday the kids in my son's class had to bring in stuff and wear clothes to be immigrants. My kid was Scots, and so, naturally we went anachronistically and did a Mediocre Kilt. Word of advice: It is a bitch and a half, because no sewing, only folding and tucking, and it was too much material for an 11 year old boy. We ended up with me pleating it sitting in a chair and having him lay down on my lap. Which is totally how Rob Roy did it. Naturally, he was the only kid in a costume, but apparently, the other kids think he is cool, so he never gets teased - even when he was on the playground, playing basketball at the same time as the Middle Schoolers.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been told all that pleating can be a bitch to do. It looks good though.

I've completed the Mrs. Patmore and pink dress orders for one lady. She said she wanted to iron them herself so that's why they're wrinkled like that. I thought "don't argue, just go with it."

Mrs. Patmore

mrspatmorefinished.jpg

The pink blouse and skirt. Lots of top stitching on those stripes!

pinkdress.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I love that pink! And you got out of ironing!! Good for you! (it isnt my favorite.)

I like it too. I have some left over so hopefully I can make something out of it.

I'm not a fan of ironing either so I can totally relate.

A total last minute job, but my cousin asked me to make the Titanic jump dress for her daughter. The daughter is quite young and wanted the pretty red dress that she saw in a picture. As far as I know she's never seen the movie.

I was sent the materials and went to work. I made the skirt gathered for freedom of movement.

For a rush job it's not that bad. I can see parts where I should've slown down or did this or that differently but overall I'm happy with it.

post-3409-14451997851022_thumb.jpg

Very nice job on the dress, Claddaugh. You have captured enough details from the actual dress and nicely incorporated them into a version suitable for a little girl.

The jump dress is one of my favorite dresses from that movie. I watch it just look at the fashions.

Very nice job on the dress, Claddaugh. You have captured enough details from the actual dress and nicely incorporated them into a version suitable for a little girl.

The jump dress is one of my favorite dresses from that movie. I watch it just look at the fashions.

Thank you for the kind words. :) My cousin originally wanted beaded fringe until she saw it costs about $10 a yard so she bought rayon fringe for $3 per yard.

Mom's favorite dress from the movie was also the jump dress. Mine's the flying dress.

Brother Claddagh is going "You've got to make a Regency style jump dress!" He's saying to do that and wait to see how many fundy heads explode. A lot of the fundies hated James Cameron's Titanic.

Thank you for the kind words. :) My cousin originally wanted beaded fringe until she saw it costs about $10 a yard so she bought rayon fringe for $3 per yard.

Mom's favorite dress from the movie was also the jump dress. Mine's the flying dress.

Brother Claddagh is going "You've got to make a Regency style jump dress!" He's saying to do that and wait to see how many fundy heads explode. A lot of the fundies hated James Cameron's Titanic.

I can see the jump dress working very well with a Regency style pattern. The styles of both are pretty similar. And I always loved the red and black color combination.

I know fundies get into historic events, but I figured that the Titantic movie would not sit well with them mainly because of the story line involving Jack and Rose. If it were more

fundie friendly, (meaning everything going on was in line with their beliefs) they would be all over it.

I can see the jump dress working very well with a Regency style pattern. The styles of both are pretty similar. And I always loved the red and black color combination.

I know fundies get into historic events, but I figured that the Titantic movie would not sit well with them mainly because of the story line involving Jack and Rose. If it were more

fundie friendly, (meaning everything going on was in line with their beliefs) they would be all over it.

I can see it working well too. Maybe just eliminating the "V" cut out, giving the appropriate sleeves, bodice and skirt treatment and there you go.

I don't know how often fringe was used for Regency dresses but maybe some pretty trim instead.

I think I'll make it! :D

The fundies really have a problem with Rose because she rebels against her mother, Cal, and society. :naughty: The only real point I agree with them on Titanic is how they get upset over Will Murdoch "accepting" the bribe and then committing suicide. That part always annoys me too.

I can see it working well too. Maybe just eliminating the "V" cut out, giving the appropriate sleeves, bodice and skirt treatment and there you go.

I don't know how often fringe was used for Regency dresses but maybe some pretty trim instead.

I think I'll make it! :D

The fundies really have a problem with Rose because she rebels against her mother, Cal, and society. :naughty: The only real point I agree with them on Titanic is how they get upset over Will Murdoch "accepting" the bribe and then committing suicide. That part always annoys me too.

Regarding the dress, I did wonder the same thing regarding about the fringe trim being used, but this dress lends itself to variations quite well (have seen a few) so there should be some trim that would work.

Yep, Rose rebelling would be a big sticking point for fundies. But thought the fact that she was involved with Jack while engaged to Cal, plus she does the deed with him would be really annoying to them. What I really love about that movie is that Rose finds the courage to live her life as a independent woman, not the life that her mother and society expect her to. And it all gets its start with basically a tragedy on a number of levels: ship sinking with loss of lives, Jack's death, mother and Cal think she's dead.

I didn't like the scene with officer Murdoch either. For one thing, having read multiple histories of the Titantic sinking, that was not true. There was speculation that an officer had committed suicide but there was no confirmation if this happened and then no one knew for sure which officer it was. Several officers were named of which Murdoch was only one. I was surprised that it was done, even for making the story more dramatic, because there still had to be surviving relatives out there who couldn't have appreciated that.

Oh well, here endeth my analysis/rant on the movie. Back to the topic at hand, I would sure like to see your Regency jump dress when you complete it.

Regarding the dress, I did wonder the same thing regarding about the fringe trim being used, but this dress lends itself to variations quite well (have seen a few) so there should be some trim that would work.

Yep, Rose rebelling would be a big sticking point for fundies. But thought the fact that she was involved with Jack while engaged to Cal, plus she does the deed with him would be really annoying to them. What I really love about that movie is that Rose finds the courage to live her life as a independent woman, not the life that her mother and society expect her to. And it all gets its start with basically a tragedy on a number of levels: ship sinking with loss of lives, Jack's death, mother and Cal think she's dead.

I didn't like the scene with officer Murdoch either. For one thing, having read multiple histories of the Titantic sinking, that was not true. There was speculation that an officer had committed suicide but there was no confirmation if this happened and then no one knew for sure which officer it was. Several officers were named of which Murdoch was only one. I was surprised that it was done, even for making the story more dramatic, because there still had to be surviving relatives out there who couldn't have appreciated that.

Oh well, here endeth my analysis/rant on the movie. Back to the topic at hand, I would sure like to see your Regency jump dress when you complete it.

I have a book on historical fashion and one photo is of the back of a bright pink Regency dress. Who ever made it used gold colored thread as an accent.

I'm thinking of sequin trim on the big seams such as the shoulders, and the back. More sequin trim around the neckline.

I'll be sure to post pictures when I'm done.

There are a lot of theories over who killed themselves on the Titanic. Without a body or some sort of forensic evidence it's going to be a mystery. That is if a suicide even happened.

From what I've read the fundies really disaprove and call Rose "selfish." They get mad that she disobeyed her mother, basically left Cal, and did her own thing. I've heard that Rose is a "90's woman in 1912" among other things.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived