IGNORED

Costume making

duplessis3

Lovely work! I worked for a costume shop for a while after I retired, helping out a friend whilst she looked for someone to take the position full-time. She specializes in costuming musicals, etc. for high schools, community theatres, and the like. Loved being there daily, but the 37 mile commute one way, was a bit much for every day. I did a lot of reworking of costumes. Best time ever!

• 1 month later...

I was pretty pleased with how my daughter's Ren Faire costume came out, so I thought I'd post it here. I used to do a lot of costuming in my early LARPing days, but I'd gotten out of the habit of doing anything elaborate in more recent years. Having a wee one to dress has given me a lot more motivation, and it turns out kids are pretty easy to costume, no curves to worry about and at this age, not many opinions yet either. (Though my girl really likes dressing up, even elaborate things like this.)

n15rip.jpg

29ksz7d.jpg

Very nice costume, aelar! Also, noticed her matching doll.

Kid's clothes are fun to make. Easier too because as you said, you don't have to worry about curves and fitting.

Thank you. Yes, we had to have a poppet. My girl is just barely 2, and we don't go anywhere without some sort of companion, it keeps her calm and grounded. So I had to make a little doll or we'd have this nice costume and a very non-period stuffed animal with us.

I think just having them be so small is a big help with kids clothes. I find I do more detailing because the pieces are so tiny it looks less intimidating (sometimes an illusion, but I trick myself into doing things because 'it will only take an extra five minutes').

Here was a Steampunk costume I did a few months ago.

o9lrgn.jpg

I'm planning out a 1850s dress right now, for the wonderful Dickens Faire we have here at Christmastime.

Archived