IGNORED

Ashley's last post (Stay at home daughter)

SwissGirl

Did you see Ashley's last post? It's about crafting an headband, which is not the interesting point. Look at the first picture. Where is the modesty?!

She really seems to actively seek a husband. :whistle:

Link: /stayathomedaughter.com/2013/02/12/easy-t-shirt-headband-tutorial/#comments

Edited to break link _lilith

Btw - I have that same headband.

Not modest at all, but maybe she is one of those fundies who isn't that big on clothing modesty? She seems at least ok with going sleeveless.

Also what's with fundies and railway tracks?

The photo now shows her in a blue sweater, with no sleevelessness to be found? Seems like she's changed it, though I didn't see the "before" photo myself.

Look at the first picture. Where is the modesty?!

I thought the same thing. A form-fitting sweater with a wide neckline. It actually made me think about how women are punished for having curves. If she was born with a bigger bust, she could not get away with wearing that shirt in her culture.

I think the one on the train tracks is totally defrauding. I can see her thighs and *gasp* even imagine that I can see more than that.

I took a quick skim through her "modesty" section and I don't think she's being inconsistent with what she's said about modesty before by wearing a form-fitting sweater. Sure, I think her "modesty" rules are a bunch of crap, as are rules about modesty in general, and they seem somewhat arbitrary (like, if a skirt shrinks in the wash it's magically "immodest" and you should add material to it instead of taking the lazy woman's way out and pairing it with opaque leggings) but they seem to be focused on covering oneself vs. wearing loose shapeless clothing that hides one's form. I personally find it a bit strange to snark on her by assuming "fundie vision" and comparing her to some other bullshit standard of modesty to which she doesn't measure up in our estimation. I don't think she looks defrauding in the first image, I think she looks totally normal. That said, I am not an expert upon this young woman's opinions nor her apologist, so feel free to straighten me out if I'm out of line.

Please remember, sometimes after using all the creativity you can muster you wont be able to make an outfit modest. There have been many times that I’ve shown my father a dress or top, having done my best to revamp it, and he has just had to say, no. Yes, it can be very disappointing when I love the dress or top so much but Daddy can see things that I can’t and I’m thankful for his protection.

Oh, I see, the way to objectively measure modesty is to subject oneself to the sexual male gaze of one's...father?! Ewww. I feel so dirty after reading the above. Also, I feel sad. How depressing is it to think of one's body only in terms of its sexuality and repressing its potential to arouse sexual desire in others through clothing? A body is, in the end, just a body, and it's ridiculous to put all this baggage upon it.

ETA = the above quotation can be found here: stayathomedaughter.com/2011/04/11/six-simple-modesty-solutions/

Who just sits on the train tracks? What's going on with that dress? Is the bottom part light colored denim? It's all so confusing. It's like she woke up there in the same dress that she wore to a Motley Crue concert the night before(because if the bottom part of the dress is denim, I would've totally worn that to a Motley Crue concert back in the day!).

Archived