IGNORED

Is the Catholic Church feminist?

Boogalou

It's really really good. I've read some of them but not all. Mostly Song of Songs as I wrote a paper on it, but very good. We are talking Brenner right?

No, I was referring to this: http://www.sacred-texts.com/wmn/wb/index.htm

but these look fantastic. I'm sure my mother would be aware of them, but if she's not, I'll be passing it on.

Seriously? I didnt' know that there's no way to officially remove one's name from the Church's membership roll. That's crazy! Sounds like what ex-mormons have to go through to get there names off church membership rolls. I was baptize, decided not to confirm, and have dreamed at times of getting my name removed from the registry. Ultimately it's a part of my history, so I don't think I will.

Don't quote me on this, but I lurk on Catholic Answers, and sometime in December there was a lot of talk about a "loophole" being closed so that you're pretty much stuck for life if you've been baptized. I'm sure you can write to your bishop, like in Patsy's link, but I don't know if the Church will actually take you out of their "database" (I imagine a huge Excel spreadsheet of members). I think at this point it's more like, if it makes you feel better to write the letter, go ahead. Now, I've probably done something to be excommunicated, so maybe that's another issue entirely - being excommunicated rather than just leaving.

Don't quote me on this, but I lurk on Catholic Answers, and sometime in December there was a lot of talk about a "loophole" being closed so that you're pretty much stuck for life if you've been baptized. I'm sure you can write to your bishop, like in Patsy's link, but I don't know if the Church will actually take you out of their "database" (I imagine a huge Excel spreadsheet of members). I think at this point it's more like, if it makes you feel better to write the letter, go ahead. Now, I've probably done something to be excommunicated, so maybe that's another issue entirely - being excommunicated rather than just leaving.

:lol: Talk to "my bishop"? Pft LOLOLOL

Anyway, sooo sorry for all the grammatical errors...was written after some wine & an intense conversation.

No, I was referring to this: http://www.sacred-texts.com/wmn/wb/index.htm

but these look fantastic. I'm sure my mother would be aware of them, but if she's not, I'll be passing it on.

Stanton! I so love her! I was referring to this series (There's one for every book of the Bible). They include feminist articles and analysis.

http://www.amazon.com/Feminist-Companio ... 1850754217

(Here's Ruth. It was just the second hit on my google).

Nope, I tried to return to being Catholic after my nana died and I couldn't believe the hatred and contempt for women within the church and institution as a whole. I went to Gay Catholic Church (DIGNITY USA) and while I felt less like the token awkward lesbian in the congregation, I still wasn't happy on their stance with regards to women. I'm just not Catholic anymore and never can be unless something extremely radical changes in my being!

I was vaguely excited when I went to church in a different town in the same trying to be Catholic period and women were giving communion out. That wasn't allowed when I was a kid or at least not done in my parish. Same with altarboys, there were altargirls and I was like WTF when did that happen? Apparently it happened when I was a kid or even slightly before but it was only boys when I was in CCD and Catholic schooling.

In no way. However I think the Protestant Church is somewhat "feminist". Women can become priests in the protestant church (at least in my country), not in the catholic church.

Start a thread about altar girls on Catholic Answers and you'll get a lot of angry posts. When I was on that site, posters blamed the shortage of priest and altarboys on the fact that girls were allowed to serve as altargirls.

Archived