IGNORED

Indian 'guru' says gang-rape victim was not blameless

merrily

I just finished reading about this in the Toronto Star. I'm glad so many people in India are rising up against patriarchal ideas like this. Hopefully something good can come out of such a bad situation.

Dammit. :cry: :cry: Why can't men control their fricking harmones? Why do women always have to control theirs? It doesn't matter if women wear short skirts or niqabs, they shouldn't be raped. Demanding that women dress of what they think as modest won't stop the acts of rape. Rape isn't about wanting sex, it's about wanting to control others. Why don't patriarchal fundamentalist asshats realize this? :evil:

Kind of reveals the magical thinking of all victim-blaming, though, doesn't it? "If the victim had done this, it wouldn't have happened. No, that's not something I can actually realistically predict, I just magically know that it is so."

if the student had pleaded with her six attackers in God’s name, and told them she was of the “weaker sexâ€, they would have relented.

My jaw actually dropped open when I read that. What- what?? How did this scenario play out Bapu's head? "Oh, whoops, sorry, I didn't realize you were of the weaker sex! My bad." What these men did was commit a crime, a heinous, senseless, violent crime. Since when does pleading weakness and begging for the attackers to stop magically prevent a crime in progress? I don't... Even...

Kind of reveals the magical thinking of all victim-blaming, though, doesn't it? "If the victim had done this, it wouldn't have happened. No, that's not something I can actually realistically predict, I just magically know that it is so."

That's a good point. It is magical thinking, and that kind of magical thinking makes people think that if they''ve never been assaulted it's because of some special merit on their part, rather than just being damned lucky.

Archived