IGNORED

Fundie Language

homeschoolmomma1

I will admit it took me a while to get used to how Fundie's talk and I still get caught by it sometimes- here are some examples

If you eat meat...at least eat Biblically permitted meat. God knows best people...I don't know how many more messages people need before they get it. Believers above all should recognize truth. God said No...please accept that.

Please pray for my little man John. Please pray for immediate healing for him. Thank you so much!

It's been a very busy day. Been on the go since 6:30 this morning. Now headed to church for Young People's Meeting. I love how the Lord provides right on time. Just a daily walking and trusting. He provides our daily bread. We are so Blessed. I saw a very newbie baby this morning at dentist and a very pregnant mama. My heart sunk for a moment. I just keep reminding myself to breathe. 2 weeks ago I was so excited about this new precious Blessing in our family. Thank you Father for that precious child that is now in your arms. My boys are so excited 2 little boys to play with them tonight.

As I drove home from taking my daughter to her nanny job, ( mom needs the car). I just was filled with so much awe and joy for my Lord and excited about what the Lord has in store for us Christmas Day. My children are so excited to be serving. I love being a mommy . In the good and bad times. Even when it's only for 4 or 5 days. As I miss this precious little one we will never meet on Earth. I know where they are. In the loving arms of my Jesus. I do wish though I was puking my guys up and still carrying them but my Trust is in the Lord. My girls are growing up into beautiful women. I absolutely love being a wife to be beloved husband. I don't care if people view me as weak. I love my hubby being my protector, provider, best friend, lover. I am Blessed. Have a great day.

It's been a great but exhausting day. I think I'm gonna have to take it easy for a little bit. Thinking I have probably became anemic from loosing this baby. Had a great visit with our children's dentist and his girls. If you are looking for an amazing pediatric dentist and I love his heart for the Lord and his patients.

Blessed be the name of the Lord, blessed be your name. You give and take away. My heart will choose to say; "Blessed be your glorious Name." Father, I thank you for the brief time I was able to carry our 11th child. My desire was to be able to see that precious child this side of eternity but my hope is in you and one day I will spend eternity with this child ( not yet named) and Micah. Until then our baby is in no better hands than the hands of Jesus. Thank you Lord for the brief time you gave me to be this child's mommy and now is in Heaven with you. As I mourn and grieve I will continue to Praise your Name. He or she would have had a Baby due August 17, the day my father died. How ironic. Have a Blessed day friends.

By the way I do think it is sad she lost the baby just not happy it is posted on facebook 700 times :(

In a way, I think it's a little like Newspeak from 1984. It confines you to a certain framework. If you're so accustomed to speaking this way it is very difficult to think beyond it or articulate/acknowledge whatever modicum of original thought you may happen to have as something legitimate. Everything just leads back to the doctrine. God, Jesus, whatever becomes firmly entrenched in your everyday life and responsible for even the smallest detail.

*Edited as I pressed Submit too soon...

It's been a great but exhausting day. I think I'm gonna have to take it easy for a little bit. Thinking I have probably became anemic from loosing this baby. Had a great visit with our children's dentist and his girls. If you are looking for an amazing pediatric dentist and I love his heart for the Lord and his patients.

This dentist is such a man of the Lord. Why he fired his dental assistant, who was so good, when she persisted in wearing defrauding scrubs to work. What was the poor man to do? She was just calling out to him to commit adultery. He couldn't have this she devil coming between the sweet fellowship he had with his wife.

Going to my friend's house for part of the holiday. I used to know her at church but when we left she was one of the only ones who would still talk to us. Anyway, she's been really cool and not judgmental about me agnostic-ing except tonight she sent me a text saying "so looking forward to fellowshipping with you this week!" and my stomach turned a bit. I keep forgetting she's all evangelical and now I'm a little afraid of what I might be subjected to over at her house.

I have zero problems with people being religious, I'm just not in a mood to be evangelized, especially at this point.

It gets so ingrained into you! My mom left fundie-fom / evangelicalism 13 years ago, and she still falls into it without realizing it! I say something every freaking time, and she is always surprised, she never realizes that she did it (she wants me to say something, she is horrified that she still does it because she doesn't want people to think that she is like "those people").

There is a definite jargon and I think it does serve to set people apart--not in a good way. Jargon is inevitable whenever you get a subculture, but jargon paired with the assumption that there's something wrong with people who don't understand it creates a mindset that autocratic pastors just love to exploit.

Its fun to talk to religious friends and be mentally ticking off fundy turns of phrase. 'Season of life', 'God's leading', feeling convicted' and so on.

If you ever hear the word 'tarry', you know you're talking to a hardcore fundie.

I was raised conservative Christian (but not fundie), and fundie jargon is something I never encountered. Even the Pentecostals and AoG people I know didn't use any of this jargon. And who the hell picks out a doctor based on his faith rather than his/her medical skill and reputation in the medical community? Just because a doctor isn't a Christian doesn't mean the standard of care is lower.

I was raised conservative Christian (but not fundie), and fundie jargon is something I never encountered. Even the Pentecostals and AoG people I know didn't use any of this jargon. And who the hell picks out a doctor based on his faith rather than his/her medical skill and reputation in the medical community? Just because a doctor isn't a Christian doesn't mean the standard of care is lower.

My mother would only go to Jewish doctors. She wasn't Jewish.

I won't go to a doctor who smokes. I figure if he/she doesn't care about their own health they probably won't care about mine.

I was pentecostal AOG and we had our jargon as well which I do still fall into sometimes unfortunately.

Some of the phrases and words I remember:

"I feel an incredible anointing on me/you/this moment/ this conference"

"You are so anointed"

"Season of life"

"God's leading me down the path..."

"I feel God/Jesus/Holy spirit is calling me..."

"I am expectant"

"he is restoring/replenshing.."

"I have a calling"

The funny thing is to see these words being used outside of a biblical frame by my fundie friends for example a friend about a movie "I sit in the movie theatres expectant". "My child has a calling to never clean her room."

Yeah, if I had used the phrase "God is calling me not to clean my room" I would have been grounded. I always thought "season of life" referred to a woman going through menopause". I did attend a Pentecostal service, but I had to leave once the speaking in tongues and "dancing" began. It's not that I was afraid, it's that I was about to start laughing. I lied to my friend and told her I wasn't feeling well, and I haven't been to a Pentecostal service since.

The "season of life" thing is being used at this point to mean "whatever is going on right now". I knew some people who "felt God calling" them to missions. They sold their house, quit their jobs, moved to their mission area of choice. 6 months later they moved back, are renting a house, begging for their jobs back. I was a little snarky with them because they're uprooting their kids with all this back and forth and I said "oh, but when did God revoke his "calling" for you?" and she replied "I was a missionary for a season, but now I'm in this season of my life."

I hear a lot of SAHD talk about their "season of being single". One of the ones I know just posted on her FB this morning that God has "blessed her with a gift of marriage" which I think means the courtship is moving into being engaged. I'm a little unsure about that though, maybe they eloped or something.

I have learned (from conservative Christian friends) to use "season of (my) life" to mean "this is a defined period during which certain things are pretty well inevitable and other things pretty well inaccessible--and it will end." IOW, another way of saying, "this too shall pass." Being a nursing mom is a season of one's life. So is doing nighttime parenting. College is a season of one's life, and so is menopause.

The rest of the jargon, meh.

My mother would only go to Jewish doctors. She wasn't Jewish.

I won't go to a doctor who smokes. I figure if he/she doesn't care about their own health they probably won't care about mine.

I have a sad feeling there are probably a lot of smoking doctors. Something about the stress of the profession and that people think smoking relieves stress.

True story: my childhood best friend is a respiratory therapist who actually began smoking after she lost a patient. She was outside the hospital where she works being really upset, and someone, likely a doctor, offered her a cigarette, and that's when she took up the habit. I haven't been in the greatest touch with her lately so I'm not sure if she is still smoking, but from what she said it's pretty common among the medical profession, even those working with people's lungs/breathing issues.

I have learned (from conservative Christian friends) to use "season of (my) life" to mean "this is a defined period during which certain things are pretty well inevitable and other things pretty well inaccessible--and it will end." IOW, another way of saying, "this too shall pass." Being a nursing mom is a season of one's life. So is doing nighttime parenting. College is a season of one's life, and so is menopause.

The rest of the jargon, meh.

I wonder if the "season" usage stems from the verse in Ecclesiastes about "to everything there is a season"...

I have a sad feeling there are probably a lot of smoking doctors. Something about the stress of the profession and that people think smoking relieves stress.

True story: my childhood best friend is a respiratory therapist who actually began smoking after she lost a patient. She was outside the hospital where she works being really upset, and someone, likely a doctor, offered her a cigarette, and that's when she took up the habit. I haven't been in the greatest touch with her lately so I'm not sure if she is still smoking, but from what she said it's pretty common among the medical profession, even those working with people's lungs/breathing issues.

In the past yes, today no. My DH was a M.D., most of our friends were doctors. None smoked. In his residency program none smoked. I cannot off hand think of a singe doctor I know who smokes.

In the past yes, today no. My DH was a M.D., most of our friends were doctors. None smoked. In his residency program none smoked. I cannot off hand think of a singe doctor I know who smokes.

I definitely know docs who smoke, but yes they are older. I shadowed a family friend who is a pathologist, he smoked and lost his relatively young wife due to emphysema. I know some of my friend's parents are Drs. who smoke. Interestingly, most of the ones who smoke are Orthopedic surgeons.

I had a coworker use the word fellowshipping in the context of an employee breakfast potluck. She never struck me as a fundie before so maybe mainstream christians use that term too.

I had a coworker use the word fellowshipping in the context of an employee breakfast potluck. She never struck me as a fundie before so maybe mainstream christians use that term too.

Fundie-lites do I know.

Archived