IGNORED

Maxwell Christmas 2012

Justme

There are many savoury snacks that aren't bad for you. Mini quiches made with extra whites and less yolks and veggies, hommus or tzakziki with veggie sticks, brown rice arancini, sushi, and so on. It's hard to make sweets healthy without reverting to fruit, although baking can be a lot healthier with whole grains and reduced sugar. There isn't much you can do about the need for butter in baking though.

Re: the Maxwell's "missions". Even in their family missions they don't feel that the kids are necessarily safe. The girls don't go to the homeless shelter, they just send the goods they bake, and the teens weren't allowed to go to the county fair. The women and younger men are sheltered even within the incredibly sheltered family.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

A few of friends of mine who have worked/work in nursing homes have also talked about some of the younger residents. Residents is pretty much the best term. I'm not trying to defend the Maxwells, but maybe they aren't any younger residents at the nursing home they hold services at.

"Residents" is an appropriate term if you need to distinguish between the people who live in the home, and the ones (like the Maxwells) who are just visiting. "People" is also a good descriptor of the people who live there. "Friends" and "church members" might also be usefully applied. :)

The reason we got so excited about it is that FJ has a long history of remarking on Steve's use of "the elderly" (eg http://www.freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2476) to create an us/them situation between his family and the people he imposes on, in order to keep his children from mixing with their peers. This is the first time, I think, that he has used "residents" instead of his favourite term.

Their use of "the elderly" reminds me of Lois Lowry's dystopian YA novel, The Giver. In the community portrayed in it, people's lives are strictly regimented by age group. When people near the end of their lives, they are sent to live in a facility for "the Elderly."

The story mentions the use of a "discipline wand" on small children. When one of the characters is assigned to work with the Elderly, she tells a friend, "Did you know that there's a discipline wand for the Elderly?" One of the creepiest passages in a VERY creepy book.

Do they have vinyl stick on tile floors in the bedroom? I'm pretty sure that its the cheapo vinyl stick on tiles (I go to Lowes daily at the moment as we're in the middle of a renovation). Either that or ceramic tile floors, which is also a weird choice in the midwest.

Maybe in Florida or some other area that is extremely warm and prone to flooding would have tile floors, but not in their area. It just makes the rooms cold and uninviting. Imagine getting up in the winter time and putting your feet on a cold and miserable floor....

We just tore out very expensive marble floors from our family room (my future MIL who sold us the house is livid) because even in summer the floor was freezing cold. Plus it was extremely slippery even when dry and had a very uninviting and "institutional" feel. In a bedroom any tile, ceramic or vinyl, would just feel wrong.

If they have underfloor heating then tile would make sense. I don't know how that works for second floors, though; I've only seen it installed on ground floors.

They said somewhere that they have tile as it is easy to clean. No stick-on tiles though - they are spendy-spendy on their houses.

Yet another cold touch to the Maxhell compound. Hardwood is easy to clean too, but homey and cozy for a bedroom. I'm surprised they are allowed to hang pictures on the bedroom wall.... as those may collect a bit of dust. And a doll could get dusty too... even a crazy eyed one.

ETA: Ceramic tile can be super cheap... we considered it for our kitchen before settling on VCT (which is cheaper,but also more retro). Ceramic tiles like the ones in that room might only cost a buck a square foot, add in another dollar a square foot for other materials needed to install. Hardwood would start at 5 and go up to 12 a square foot for most of the regular in-stock stuff.

If they are spendy then they are only being so in the public areas. The beds in the room look like they weren't cheap, I'll admit that. But, they need to last for many decades as Sarah and the other "girls" won't be going anywhere for a while (if ever).

They said somewhere that they have tile as it is easy to clean. No stick-on tiles though - they are spendy-spendy on their houses.

Why does it even need to be easy to clean? It's not like they're pressed for time...These are people who regularly clean the ceiling fans just to keep busy. It's a strange reason, that's all..

Steve's replies to comments are particularly patronizing -- A commenter mentioned that Anna's hair looked nice. Steve's reply? "They often enjoy experimenting" Right. I'm sure it's only daddy-approved "experimentation."

:lol: He should have clarified "They often enjoy experimenting with hair styles" because now I have an image of the girls "experimenting" in other ways...

Guest Anonymous
I'm surprised they are allowed to hang pictures on the bedroom wall.... as those may collect a bit of dust.

I would bet all of my Christmas presents that one of those pictures is the one where the Good Shepherd is carrying on his shoulders the lamb whose legs He has just broken, to teach it not to stray.... :naughty:

I would bet all of my Christmas presents that one of those pictures is the one where the Good Shepherd is carrying on his shoulders the lamb whose legs He has just broken, to teach it not to stray.... :naughty:

What? Thats awful. Is that an actual real life Bible story?

We have tile in most of our house, it's pretty common in Europe. You get floor heating for the rooms that need it, it's really not that bad and the rooms feel warm and cozy enough with throw rugs and stuff.

Not one that I'm aware of...I'm pretty sure it's someone's interpretation of Biblical truth, like many religious paintings are...

I thought the shepherd went to rescue the lamb because it had wandered away from the herd? :? IDK, I wasn't paying attention during a lot of bible lessons.

Guest Anonymous

No! The bible parable goes something along the lines that Jesus is like a good shepherd who, if one out of 100 sheep were to go astray, would go and bring that lost sheep back into his fold.

Out of the story there developed a tradition of paintings, often hung above children's beds, of a kindly looking shepherd carrying a baby lamb around his neck. Even in my evangelical Sunday school this was supposedly to be re-assuring that Jesus cares about every individual lamb and will always seek them out and take them back if they turn their back on him.

Somewhere along the line, some fundies got hold of the story and retold it as Jesus being a cruel-to-be-kind shepherd who broke the lamb's legs and carried it until they healed, whereupon said lamb would always be too fearful to stray from his master again. Eg see here: http://www.christianrecovery.com/vb/arc ... -5398.html

No! The bible parable goes something along the lines that Jesus is like a good shepherd who, if one out of 100 sheep were to go astray, would go and bring that lost sheep back into his fold.

Out of the story there developed a tradition of paintings, often hung above children's beds, of a kindly looking shepherd carrying a baby lamb around his neck. Even in my evangelical Sunday school this was supposedly to be re-assuring that Jesus cares about every individual lamb and will always seek them out and take them back if they turn their back on him.

Somewhere along the line, some fundies got hold of the story and retold it as Jesus being a cruel-to-be-kind shepherd who broke the lamb's legs and carried it until they healed, whereupon said lamb would always be too fearful to stray from his master again. Eg see here: http://www.christianrecovery.com/vb/arc ... -5398.html

That's digusting. Why even call themselves Jesus-followers if their just going to make up false and horrifying stories about him?

That's digusting. Why even call themselves Jesus-followers if their just going to make up false and horrifying stories about him?

Seriously...that's a horrible story.

Guest Anonymous

I should say, although the story is an actual one told to many fundie children, I don't know whether or not it is one the Maxwells believe in. I only imagine that they might.

I should say, although the story is an actual one told to many fundie children, I don't know whether or not it is one the Maxwells believe in. I only imagine that they might.

Well, let's face it, their "shepherd", Steve, certainly metaphorically broke their legs and made them fearful of leaving him.

I have tile in many of my rooms. I live in a warm area of the US, so cold tiles aren't really a concern.

If I were a sheltered and controlled SAHD, I would definitely find a lot of ways to volunteer, just to get out of the house and of course to help others, since having a 'servant's heart' is stressed by many of the fundies. Since the Maxwells aren't even allowed this activity, I understand why some of them have such sad looks in their eyes.

Back to the cookie-baking party. Is that a picture of their electric mixer, and if so, what brand? I've never seen one that looks like that. Or maybe I'm looking at it wrong, that's always a possibility.

One day I might learn to spell.

Back to the cookie-baking party. Is that a picture of their electric mixer, and if so, what brand? I've never seen one that looks like that. Or maybe I'm looking at it wrong, that's always a possibility.

One day I might learn to spell.

It's a Verona (or Electrolux depending on when it was bought) Assistent mixer. Extremely powerful and it can handle large batches very easily. Very pricey too (starts at $700) but worth every penny. I paid for half of mine with my Amazon points. Phew!

The Maxwells do a lot of baking for a large family so it's a very practical purchase.

It's a Verona (or Electrolux depending on when it was bought) Assistent mixer. Extremely powerful and it can handle large batches very easily. Very pricey too (starts at $700) but worth every penny. I paid for half of mine with my Amazon points. Phew!

The Maxwells do a lot of baking for a large family so it's a very practical purchase.

I love the way it scrapes the side of the bowl. It puts my Kitchenaid to shame.

Of course! Good sleuthing. That doll :twisted:

Finally! Fundies who don't live in flip flops! There are actual, honest-to-goodness WALKING shoes behind her!

There's a new post - Maxwell Randomness!

A couple of things: Teri looks great (did she get a haircut recently?) and someone at the nursing home was wearing a Santa hat. I wonder if they got a lecture from Stevie about their "sin."

Archived