IGNORED

Maxwell Christmas 2012

Justme

Well, even if he did renovate, his only frame of decorating reference is the family home. It's not like they watch HGTV or read shelter magazines and websites. Bland and beige is all they know and falls well within approved guidelines. Maxwells would never dream of coloring outside of the lines.

Well, I thought it was bold that Joseph chose that dark burgundy paint for his kitchen, though. I actually thought that was pretty, but I would hate it in the kitchen unless there was a LOT of light to offset it. I guess it's possible Elizabeth chose it.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the caroling part of the evening. I believe the comment that it was quite cold and I wonder if Steve permits his adult daughters to wear long underwear beneath those drafty skirts. Too much like pants?

They were all wearing denim skirts. I guess that's as warm as the girls get, probably wearing tights underneath. Teh guys all seemed to be wearing Carhardt-type pants so were probably toasty as ever.

I wonder what kind of hoops Steve is going to make Jon-Marie jump through before he hands over the keys to his daughter's heart (and chastity belt). Jon Marie must be as bland and legalistic as the Maxwells to still be hanging around after all this time, and he has a good, lucrative business to support her with, so what's the prob, Steve? Say YES already!

I wonder what kind of hoops Steve is going to make Jon-Marie jump through before he hands over the keys to his daughter's heart (and chastity belt). Jon Marie must be as bland and legalistic as the Maxwells to still be hanging around after all this time, and he has a good, lucrative business to support her with, so what's the prob, Steve? Say YES already!

I'm sorry, there is just NO WAY he'd be visiting this close to Christmas without doing the whole courting thing. Any of you Maxwell-watchers might remember Christopher did his courting gig just before Christmas with his first fiance, Sara Smith. It must be a popular time of the year for their family to get a-courtin'.

Yup, good spot. So did all these events take place last weekend, or is he lodging (In Joe's house) while he works locally?

We know he has been there on business before, and a random FJ member who claimed to be an insider once hinted that he was expanding his business and partnering with the Maxwells in that, in some way.

My money is still on Anna as helpmeet. And web manager. And handy diyer as evidenced by recent garage door installation.

One of the boys does John Marie's website maintenance, maybe that's what it was about. If JM is courting a girl, he's taking a long time about it. He was there at Christmas last year too (the photos are exactly the same).

The idea of such a joyless family singing "Joy to the World" doesn't seem to fit somehow.:?

I dunno, I can't see Steve willing to let any of his daughters marry out of the family/cult and get out from under his control. After the Joe/Liz fiasco, I would think he's circling those wagons even closer these days. But who knows, maybe he's getting questions from followers asking wazzup with all the unmarried adult kids, especially daughters, and failed courtships. So I agree that will hurt his brand. Maybe it is already and he's reconsidering.

I'd wear the blackwatch frumper, it would look cute turned into a mini dress & worn with a black pussybow blouse, black tights & patent black shoes. It would be REALLY defrauding though!!!!!!

My clan tartan is Loud Macleod. :(

Many a Japanese housewife of the 80's wore outfits pretty much identical to Anna Marie's, only possibly with larger collars. It was the style.

I can't imagine Steve relinquishing control of his daughters to any man who lives outside of their general area, and the pool of eligible suitors--especially for Sarah--must be a very small one indeed if no one's come a' callin. I think these girls (and they ARE girls, regardless of their age) absolutely need the familiarity and comfort of home base and would be lost without the rules and structure. Every waking moment of their lives is planned and they've never, ever been alone. I can't imagine what someone like Sarah would do if she were to marry someone from another part of the country. She'd be on her own initially until she started popping out babies, with no friends (friends are BAD!), no church (churches are BAD!), no job (jobs are BAD!) nothing else to occupy her time because there's only so much housecleaning, laundry and cooking you can do for two people. So what's left? Reading the bible until her headship comes home? The silence and isolation, especially for someone who's spent her entire life being monitored by another family member, could be very traumatic.

Steve still has some measure of control over his sons--and by extension, their wives--because they live so close by. But if he transfers authority over his daughters to someone who lives far away, that control is gone. I can't see him allowing that to happen. More than likely he'd require a potential suitor to move close to the compound instead.

I can't imagine Steve relinquishing control of his daughters to any man who lives outside of their general area, and the pool of eligible suitors--especially for Sarah--must be a very small one indeed if no one's come a' callin. I think these girls (and they ARE girls, regardless of their age) absolutely need the familiarity and comfort of home base and would be lost without the rules and structure. Every waking moment of their lives is planned and they've never, ever been alone. I can't imagine what someone like Sarah would do if she were to marry someone from another part of the country. She'd be on her own initially until she started popping out babies, with no friends (friends are BAD!), no church (churches are BAD!), no job (jobs are BAD!) nothing else to occupy her time because there's only so much housecleaning, laundry and cooking you can do for two people. So what's left? Reading the bible until her headship comes home? The silence and isolation, especially for someone who's spent her entire life being monitored by another family member, could be very traumatic.

Steve still has some measure of control over his sons--and by extension, their wives--because they live so close by. But if he transfers authority over his daughters to someone who lives far away, that control is gone. I can't see him allowing that to happen. More than likely he'd require a potential suitor to move close to the compound instead.

Re: the bold. I did think the same thing. Wonder if there have been any suitors were actually asked to do that and refused. After all, moving could mean relinquishing a job (even if self-employed, it could mean starting over with a dif. customer base, etc) and a home. The guy would have to start over in terms of home and occupation. No doubt Steve would require the guy have a house and means of income before handing over a daughter or to even allow a courtship. But at the same time, require the guy who is out of the area give all up in order to move closer to the compound just to be considered.

I like to bet that suitors have come a'calling and Steve has a whole laundry list of must-haves along with the interrogation all ready for them. Wonder how many have just thrown their hands up and say "forget it".

I bet she would be surrounded and monitored by her in-laws. :?

Guest Anonymous

I bet she would be surrounded and monitored by her in-laws. :?

Yup. Anyone that Steve transfers authority to at this stage is likely to be very bad news.

Did NR-Anna serve granola bars?? I can't tell much by that pic. It looks like 2 trays of granola bars and a dish of layered dip maybe?

Was the other married brother there with his wife? Seems like we hear so much more about Christopher and NR Anna. Maybe the other married son and his wife want to have their own life?

Ahem, so up until now I thought his name actually was John-Marie. I just read the older thread about him. Ok, so I think I understand...when NR Anna married Christopher, they began calling her Anna Marie b/c there already was an Anna in the family and Marie is her middle name? Is that right?

NR Anna seems to really want to please and fit into the family. Can you imagine the pressure of hosting a party for them, knowing that Steve's idea of an appropriate dessert is 2 animal crackers??

Ahem, so up until now I thought his name actually was John-Marie. I just read the older thread about him. Ok, so I think I understand...when NR Anna married Christopher, they began calling her Anna Marie b/c there already was an Anna in the family and Marie is her middle name? Is that right?

NR Anna seems to really want to please and fit into the family. Can you imagine the pressure of hosting a party for them, knowing that Steve's idea of an appropriate dessert is 2 animal crackers??

BINGO! You've got the whole NR-Anna/John Marie gyst! Good job!

Did NR-Anna serve granola bars?? I can't tell much by that pic. It looks like 2 trays of granola bars and a dish of layered dip maybe?

Was the other married brother there with his wife? Seems like we hear so much more about Christopher and NR Anna. Maybe the other married son and his wife want to have their own life?

Yup, Nathan and Melanie are the parents of the little girls. We suspect that they are slightly less fundie than Steve and Teri

Here is one of the threads that comes up if you type "John Marie" into the search function:

http://freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5866

I couldn't remember which FJer had come up with the name John Marie. Brilliant, terranova!

Damn, if John Marie has his eye any of the Maxwell sisters he's sure taking his sweet time about it.

I wonder if John-Marie visits so often because he is interested in one of the "girls" (my guess is Anna) and is considering re-locating his business to Kansas. I am sure Stevie could find a number of ways to "convict" him to do so- he would have the support (i.e. free labor) of the Maxwell's and their "friends", he would be close to his brothers in law in order to better work un-endingly on sub-par website construction, there would be plenty of Maxwell women around to help with the quiver (remember, John-Marie only has one sister), heck, Steve might even hold out the carrot of helping him buy a debt-free home...

I absolutely agree that Steve would not allow one of his daughters to be under another man's authority without having very tight control on the process!

The Maxhells post on so many mundane things, do you suppose they are aware of what happened in CT yesterday? Are they praying about it? Or are they waiting to hear about it in the grocery check-out line?

Maybe, but fundie families do have very different expectation once a woman is transferred to her new headship's authority. I think that's why Steve is being so careful - cause once authority's transferred his daughter will have to obey her new headship, not him.

The Kellers shun a son who went fundie lite but accept a daughter who did cause it was her husbands choice, so she was still doing the right thing by obeying her headship.

$5 says Joseph sells his house to John Marie who then proposes to Anna and the rest is history, as they say.

I'd bet more but I'm really strapped, this time of year.

$5 says Joseph sells his house to John Marie who then proposes to Anna and the rest is history, as they say.

I'd bet more but I'm really strapped, this time of year.

Oh, that's a great hypothesis! The house would be tainted for Joseph's future bride now, but with Anna and all her handy(man) work, it makes sense that she feels some ownership over the property. Hmmm. I'm guessing J-Marie could operate his business from there, right? If he's got all the proper minions in place.

Oh, that's a great hypothesis! The house would be tainted for Joseph's future bride now, but with Anna and all her handy(man) work, it makes sense that she feels some ownership over the property. Hmmm. I'm guessing J-Marie could operate his business from there, right? If he's got all the proper minions in place.

Idk, John Marie has quite an operation out there in Idaho. In fact he just opened a 2nd store in Wa. I don't think he'd give all that up for a Maxwell sister would he?

Idk, John Marie has quite an operation out there in Idaho. In fact he just opened a 2nd store in Wa. I don't think he'd give all that up for a Maxwell sister would he?

Maybe this is what will push Stevie over the edge and allow one of his flock to flee. I wonder, too, if Stevie knows the family from when he and Teri and the older kids lived in WA? So maybe he trusts them more?

Yeah, I would hope the girl (whichever it is) would move away. Hopefully she'd end up less fundie (let's face it, there's not much direction to move other than "less fundie" when it comes to the Maxwells).

Archived